Author Topic: This sounds pretty damn cool...  (Read 593 times)

Mr Smith

• Kudos: 0
This sounds pretty damn cool...
« on: 22 December 2002, 03:01 »
If it works as good as it sounds.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-978499.html

Sharp's 3D monitors: Look, no glasses

By Michael Kanellos
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
December 19, 2002, 3:06 PM PT

Consumer-electronics giant Sharp next year plans to sell notebooks and flat-screen LCD monitors that can show three-dimensional images.

The monitors will let people see high-resolution 3D images or run 3D programs without using special glasses or additional software. For example, bodies and bullets appear to fly all over the place in a version of the popular game "Quake" that has been adjusted to work on Sharp's 3D monitors.

The technology also will be aimed at businesses, said Greg Nakagawa, senior vice president of Sharp Systems of America. General Motors has discussed experimenting with the technology in its modeling and design department. Medical imaging companies and e-commerce sites also are potential customers.

"I'm sure there will be a notebook product and an LCD monitor as well" toward the end of 2003, he said.

Bringing 3D viewing to the computing world has been a longtime goal. Although several companies have come out with Web browser software and other technology to make images appear to pop off the screen, the Web largely remains a two-dimensional world. To most people, 3D still means paper glasses with red and blue lenses or the hologram image of Princess Leia in "Star Wars."

"It is still in its infancy in many ways," said Rhoda Alexander, an analyst with iSuppli/Stanford Resources . "There is a definite interest in the gaming market. There are some medical applications that like 3D, but precision there is important."

The picture, though, will likely begin to change in 2003. A 3D consortium--which includes Toshiba, Sony, Olympus, Kodak and Microsoft among its founding members--was recently established to hammer out standards for hardware manufacturing and software development. Such a move is typically a prelude to greater commercial adoption. The first meeting of the group, known as the 3D Consortium, took place earlier this month.

Manufacturers are also working to smooth out potential resistance from developers or consumers. Turning traditional 2D "Quake" into a 3D program took only a day, Nakagawa said. Sharp also will let consumers turn off the 3D functionality.

Enhancing displays is at the core of the Japanese giant's strategy. Sharp, which reported a $557 million profit in fiscal 2002, is one of the leaders in the market for TFT displays, the glass with embedded electronics that comprises LCD monitors, and it has a major presence in the LCD monitor market in Europe and Japan.

More interesting uses of screens can directly improve the bottom line. At Comdex, for instance, Sharp showed off a new version of its Muramasa notebook, which weighs just over two pounds. Earlier this year, the company showed off an LCD panel with an embedded Zilog microprocessor. Sharp envisions a time when complete computers will be embedded into monitors, Nakagawa said.

Toshiba also is working on a 3D monitor, according to sources.

Sharp's 3D monitor can be thought of as a TFT sandwich. The monitor contains two TFT panels separated by a parallax barrier, which directs pixel images to two separate regions so that each eye receives a slightly different image.

In the end, the brain formulates the signals so that the image appears to be a three-dimensional object, Nakagawa said.

Sharp has begun to sell cell phones in Japan for the NTT DoCoMo network that contain a scaled-down version of its 3D technology. The phone also comes with a camera that can display 3D photos.

The company has recently begun to show off prototypes of its larger 15-inch screen and a 3D notebook at trade shows and meetings.

More work remains to be done, however, to perfect the screens. For example, the 3D images are best viewed from 40 centimeters away, Sharp representatives said. Sitting closer or further away results in seeing two overlapping images. Faint vertical lines, a common feature of parallax visual systems, are also visible at any distance.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2002, 13:44 »
imagine a computing world that's completely 3d. thats probably how its going to be in like 10 years.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2002, 13:50 »
Nobody is going to take my command line away! Nobody!
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Faust

« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2002, 14:01 »
3D command lines 8-)
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2002, 15:34 »
command lines could be extra efficient because you can see more of them in 3d or something... i dont know

caveman_piet

• http://www.pexy.co.za
« Reply #5 on: 24 December 2002, 01:06 »
Yep - And just think of the advantages for
a language like "befunge"   :confused:   - in 3D.

-http://www.catseye.mb.ca/esoteric/befunge/-

Then you can really fool around!

Here's a quote from the originator
===================================
"The Befunge programming language was created in 1993 by Chris Pressey for the purpose of being original, entertaining, and hard-to-compile.

In most languages, control flow is restricted to one direction and one dimension only: any instruction which does not perform an explicit jump actually performs an implicit jump to the next instruction.

Befunge, however, allows execution to proceed in less restricted fashion; the program is stored in a two-dimensional grid and control can flow left or right, or up, or down...

This multidimensional nature makes programing in Befunge an extremely "visual" activity (or perhaps "spatial" would be a better word.) Control flow can be easily visualized travelling "through" the program. Many Befunge-language debuggers have been written which enhance this effect with program animation.
Interestingly, Befunge was not specifically designed to be a multidimensional language; the main thrust was to have a language that was clearly a nightmare to compile to "regular" machine code.

For this reason, it was also made fully self-modifying, where no language-level distinction is made between code and data in storage space."
===================================

Now that will bring new meaning to the assembler
statement "JRX" - Jump Random and eXecute...   :D

[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: caveman ]

Microsoft apparently thinks that R&D stands for 'Rewrap & Disguise'.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #6 on: 24 December 2002, 03:20 »
fucking hell... should i learn befunge as my first programming language? so that everything else will be a relief?

as for that 'consortium', 'usual suspects' more like! 'microsoft' and 'standard' in the same sentence, hm? if i had been drinking coffe it would be all over my monitor right now.

Let's have a real consotrium do this thing.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #7 on: 24 December 2002, 08:38 »
I'm waiting for some of that shiat from minority report. The 3d screens that float in midair with the gesture based input.
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

avello500

• http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
« Reply #8 on: 25 December 2002, 11:22 »
i heard on my local NPR radio staion  that thier is a company making virtual keyboards. they are a infrared fieled projected in front of a laptop that senses your finger position.
there is also some engineers that made a touch/feel sensitive glove and two people *felt* each others fingertips over the internet.
dont worry their is a representative of a adult novilty manufacturer that said his company is already working on a full* bodysuit based on the technology.
he he he he
i cant wait for the holo decks    :D

[ December 25, 2002: Message edited by: avello500 ]

How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies