Author Topic: Moderation  (Read 1561 times)

slave

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Moderation
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2002, 02:39 »
I'm too scatterbrained to be a mod and don't like having unnecessary responsibility     We don't really need any more mods right now in my opinion.

jrigby

Moderation
« Reply #16 on: 22 November 2002, 03:10 »
well i think we should have Linux User #5225982375 and not macman(no offense) we need someone there that does work with windows or did to answer questions there.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
Moderation
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2002, 03:18 »
it doesnt matter if they can answer questions at all. They just need to be able to tell if a post is useless.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
Moderation
« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2002, 03:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by jrigby:
well i think we should have Linux User #5225982375 and not macman(no offense) we need someone there that does work with windows or did to answer questions there.

I still am forced to work with Winblows.

Only some of the time though (Thanks to Knoppix and partition resizing)

[ November 21, 2002: Message edited by: The Muffin Man ]

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
Moderation
« Reply #19 on: 22 November 2002, 03:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Muffin Man:

I still am forced to work with Winblows.

Only some of the time though (Thanks to Knoppix and partition resizing)

I hear ya.

[ November 21, 2002: Message edited by: The Muffin Man ]

I can relate.

[ November 21, 2002: Message edited by: TheQuirk ]

jrigby

Moderation
« Reply #20 on: 22 November 2002, 03:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by bob:
it doesnt matter if they can answer questions at all. They just need to be able to tell if a post is useless.

well we dont want someone who is pointless there, wouldnt it be better to have someone like muffin man if linux user doesnt want it.

Doctor V

Moderation
« Reply #21 on: 22 November 2002, 06:46 »
How about The Jimmy James?  Too new?  In that case I cast one for Macman.

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
Moderation
« Reply #22 on: 22 November 2002, 07:15 »
what exactly does a moderator do, at a site called "fuckmicrosoft.com," does that much stuff really get modded out?

Also notice I am #25, hint hint

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
Moderation
« Reply #23 on: 22 November 2002, 08:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Gates:

I hear ya. Count another vote for me!    

I vote for Billy Gates, because his usernames is so special to me.

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
Moderation
« Reply #24 on: 22 November 2002, 21:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Gates:
what exactly does a moderator do, at a site called "fuckmicrosoft.com," does that much stuff really get modded out?

I'm amazed that it says you only posted 97 for being #25, or did you lose them in that whole accidently deleting things a few days ago?

(edit) i hate typos...

[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: Stryker ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Moderation
« Reply #25 on: 22 November 2002, 12:44 »
no, he's been away for quite a while though...

as for who should be a mod, i still say macman. sorry, but i don't know if i want xp user to mod the windows forum, myself, since i still remember his original attitude on here. i'm a cautious person to start with though, i remember having doubts when i found out x11 was to be a mod (and some would say (though not me, not really) that those doubts have been borne out.

As for Billy G's comments about how a mod here does nothing, might i point out that the best moderation of a forum will be completely invisible to the normal posters. i don't think i'd make someone a mod if they thought there was nothing to be done.

It's all about being vigilant and keeping the place tidy. I suppose it's also about starting relevant topics when something new comes up, but i think that happens on this forum enough that mods don't really need to worry about it.

Yeah yeah, if i sound like a stuck up arse, then sorry, i just think that what with the recent accident in the linux forum with us STILL missing about six months of posts, which i don't think will ever return, we need to be a bit careful about who gets to moderate what.

Personally i am not sure there should even be a public thread about it, although i applaud the spirit of democracy behind the fact that there is.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
Moderation
« Reply #26 on: 22 November 2002, 13:04 »
Actually I've been around longer than my account shows. If you'll recall, I tried to log on at school and for some reason was locked out for good. That's why my username is now Pissed_Macman.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Moderation
« Reply #27 on: 22 November 2002, 14:05 »
I agree with Calum, i could understand calum being worried about me modding when i first started and i have done 1 major fuck up, but that was a accident and i did own up.

I was worried about some of the other people that i wont mention moderating, and macman would be a good addition to the MES Modding team. I still think the Quirk has good values on freedom of speech, and also has a sense of humor. He would by far in my opinion be the first person I would add if i where the webmaster. On the second hand there is Tux who is also a very good member, contributing lots.

However i don't like the attitude of the mods sometimes: example (warning - large images, not for dial up)
Your lucky, I responded to the Webmasters request for people who wanted to mod after seeing it. I actually asked not to moderate the lounge, and i would have made that irresponsible abuse of the forum right again by linking the images. That thread is the biggest signs of ignorance on the forum.

On a good note, its nice to see that after the Linux/Unix incident (which i will refer to as the "Big Fuck-up"), that the moderators and forum members found a solution. (Maybe its because i moderate there    ;)    ).

Our goal is not to create a political community, but to bash Microsoft. But moderating is needed but is also not needed because of the current lack of trolls. However there have been other times where we have laid back no expecting trolls where they have appeared. I think a zero tolerance act against them will fix them. Fuck there freedom to speak, if they want that... they can goto another forum, or create there own. A scottish dude can do it so anybody can. A SkRiPt0r can do it so why not do that if your a troll.

Productivity should be our first proirity.

[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: X11 / BOB: The croc hunter ]

edit - irresponsible linking was highlighted

[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
Moderation
« Reply #28 on: 22 November 2002, 14:27 »
Kinda weird how we've created our own little government here. Good because everyone gets a say, bad because nothing ever gets done. Let's just pick someone and get it over with.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Moderation
« Reply #29 on: 22 November 2002, 15:11 »
quote:
However i don't like the attitude of the mods sometimes: example
Your lucky, I responded to the Webmasters request for people who wanted to mod after seeing it. I actually asked not to moderate the lounge, and i would have made that irresponsible abuse of the forum right again by linking the images. That thread is the biggest signs of ignorance on the forum.
x11, is this a tit for tat flame war you are starting here? i honestly think you are a very good moderator here, as i think your intentions are good, which is what matters in the end after all. well maybe i better shut up. anyway, i didn't mean any slur on you at all.

However this example of yours is not in any way an abuse. This derives directly from the days when zombie90210 used to post huge screenshots in every thread, and none of the moderators stopped him. Those were bad days and i think that haviong ONE SINGLE THREAD where people post their screenshots is a very good idea. and so is warning peopl ein the title about the image content within. How many 'look at my kewl desktop' threads might have been started if i hadn't made it all one thread? notice how popular the screenshots thread is? i bet quite a few of those people would have started individual threads (probably with no warning in the title) had they not had this avenue to go down instead.

If these forums become all rules and no enjoyment then there is LITTLE point.

PS: i just realised that you yourself have been more irresponsible by posting that 'example' with no warning that it would take the person to a page with a lot of images. what if somebody had clicked that link unwittingly, who was using a 9600 baud modem? good job i added a warning after the link in your post.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

quote:
That thread is the biggest signs of ignorance on the forum.
just wanted to repeat this as i take it as a personal insult. do with that information what you will.

quote:
A scottish dude can do it so anybody can.
didn't think much of this one either. an australian can almost type, for instance, but maybe that doesn't mean he should be allowed near a keyboard!  

[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism