Author Topic: Anyone know anything about this OS?  (Read 348 times)

Mr Smith

• Kudos: 0
Anyone know anything about this OS?
« on: 24 February 2003, 15:58 »
Lycoris Desktop/LX
Just wondering if it is any good.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Anyone know anything about this OS?
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2003, 18:20 »
it's okay.

works well, their aim is stability and GUI stuff. it uses older versions of KDE for example so as not to have many bugs, but it's well worth a look. It installs wine and realplayer and so on by default. the installation process is the most noninteractive i have ever seen except for MSDOS and when you start using the command line instead of the GUI (i just do that, can't help it, but lycoris desktop is not supposed to be used from the command line really, even though it can be) it doesn't know whether it is redmond linux or caldera openlinux. it seems to be based on those anyway, with a nice GUI aimed at stability, and has wine preinstalled, so in quite a lot of ways it's a good choice for a beginner to linux.

for example there is NO need to use lindows when lycoris desktop exists.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism