Author Topic: computer  (Read 1817 times)

ryan247

• Kudos: 0
computer
« Reply #15 on: 7 January 2004, 19:22 »
i only go on at night. ok so guess i gots to gets the linux. ASAP
any other pointers and/or tips would be highly appreciated
You Mess with one bean...You mess with the whole burrito

Uipe

• http://www.felisberto.com
computer
« Reply #16 on: 8 January 2004, 04:35 »
ryan first of all don't F**** your windows install or start installing windows without first giving us somme information about your computer knolleges and needs...
Other thing do you know what to do with iso files (don't flame me ppl he doesn't seem to know alot of things....)

if I were you I would read this texts you a lot of atention:
http://www.linux.org/docs/beginner/index.html

ryan247

computer
« Reply #17 on: 8 January 2004, 04:54 »
yeah i'm new you got a fucking problem bitch

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
computer
« Reply #18 on: 8 January 2004, 07:02 »
quote:
yeah i'm new you got a fucking problem bitch

What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Dude tries to help you out and and you flame him?
Go the fuck ~

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
computer
« Reply #19 on: 8 January 2004, 07:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy don't give a shit about MS:

What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Dude tries to help you out and and you flame him?

well, he hasn't exactly recieved a warm welcome, and Uipe came off a little harsh, such as  
quote:

he doesn't seem to know alot of things....

anyway...
ryan247: i'm assuming you have already gotten in touch with other members here via aim or some chat service, but in case you haven't, i guess we can start giving advice on this thread.

first of all, you can get a linux distro 3 ways: downloaded and burning (if you have DSL or cable modem (or if you are lucky enough with a T line)), buying the medium from a third party vendor, and buying the medium directly from a linux company (like Redhat or Suse).

if you have a fast connection, a cd burner, and cd burning software that will allow you to burn iso images, i suggest you just download it  

if you need help finding the file download for the iso file(s) of a distro just let us know.

when i started about a year ago, i downloaded Redhat 8, and currently use Redhat 9. since redhata doesn't make personal edition anymore, you could try to download Fedora Core 1 if you are interested in this line of distro.

a lot of people also like Mandrake. i think the newest one is 9.2, but i'm sure someone else knows a lot more about mandrake than me. i have 9.2, but i don't like it too much :-/

there are other mainstream distros like Suse, slackware, debain, knoppix, etc. if you already found one and decided on it, than i'm sorry for wasting your time.

as others have said, do not hesitate to ask any questions. we will try to help you as best we can.

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

ryan247

computer
« Reply #20 on: 8 January 2004, 08:12 »
sounds good thanks everyone for your help if i have any other questions i'll ask

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
computer
« Reply #21 on: 8 January 2004, 11:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by Laukev7:
The best choice, of course, is Mac OS X, but there are also Linux, FreeBSD, BeOS and many others. Microsoft may have a huge marketshare, but they are not alone, and their stronghold on the market is slowly declining.

[ January 06, 2004: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

laukev dont come to the linux/unix forum suggesting Mac OS X......lol

We suggest only non proprietary *nix here.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

ryan247

computer
« Reply #22 on: 8 January 2004, 18:08 »
enough that last message was not directed towards me i feel important replying so thats why i'm doing this

and again thanks for your help

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
computer
« Reply #23 on: 8 January 2004, 20:47 »
cat /proc/thread > /dev/lounge

(....moved to the lounge)
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Uipe

• http://www.felisberto.com
computer
« Reply #24 on: 8 January 2004, 23:04 »
oki when I was a newbie I would have been very gratefull if someone pointed me the directions and adviced me not to start installing things without first knowing if my hardware would work fine....
But ryan if the "bitch" was directed to me, tI can tell that those are the first things I tell all my friends before thay even think in installing linux and believe me all of them that didn't follow my advice ended asking to reapair there pc's so I hope that you think a little be before atacking someone that's trying to help you out... if not you should reallllllyyy start going to undernet and enter a linux channel and ask for advices the manner you did and there you would be really flamed!!

And if you are really thinking in installing linux and ready to learn everything about your computer I sugest you download knoppix and than after trying it out and learning how to work in console, than you should trying gentoo in my opinion the best as fastest linux distro  ;)  but thats only my humble opinion...

[ January 08, 2004: Message edited by: Uipe ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
computer
« Reply #25 on: 9 January 2004, 00:32 »
for heavens' sake, siplus! how is it that saying somebody doesn't know a lot when that person doesn't? this thread has him asking for everything he needs to know! i mean no disrespect to ryan, but when it comes to computers (which i assume this thread is about, since that's the title), ryan doesn't seem to know a lot of things.

ryan, i was going to make a joke about how i could put everything you need to know in a zip file and email it to you, but i am not sure you'd take it in good taste. well, i hope that by hanging around you will learn a lot. most of us have i think.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
computer
« Reply #26 on: 9 January 2004, 03:21 »
quote:

Don't come to the Mac forum suggesting Linux.

We suggest only non-old fashioned, modern NeXTStep-based OSes.
Go the fuck ~

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
computer
« Reply #27 on: 9 January 2004, 03:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by ThePreacher:

I didn't come to the Linux/UNIX forum, I answered to this thread when it was in the Microsoft Operating Systems thread before it was moved to the Linux/UNIX section.

Besides, the Linux/UNIX is not only for non-proprietary OSes, and even does, in fact, specifically include Mac OS X:

quote:
Ask questions about, and discuss, any *IX type system. This includes GNU, *BSD, MacOSX, Linux, Minix, System V, HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, SunOS, CygWin et cetera.

ryan247

computer
« Reply #28 on: 9 January 2004, 03:59 »
hey calum send away i would like that and would take no offence to what ever it might be

CALUM SEND ME IT

[ January 08, 2004: Message edited by: ryan247 ]

Doogee

• VIP
  • Kudos: 109
    • http://m-db.info
computer
« Reply #29 on: 9 January 2004, 19:52 »
Mate, ryan i think you took that the wrong way. What he was saying is that he could fit all your knowledge of computers into a zip file and send it to you, it was kind of a no offence ligt hearted insult kind of thing. We do that alot around here.

Good luck with linux ill help you wherever i can!