Author Topic: Microsoft to Drop Older Products  (Read 805 times)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Microsoft to Drop Older Products
« on: 9 December 2003, 00:57 »
http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20031208.gtms98dec8/BNStory/Technology/

Included are Windows 98 and SQL Server 7.

They claim it's because of "A settlement with Sun Microsystems."  However, we're too smart to fall for that one.   :D     : perpetualupgrading:

[ December 10, 2003: Message edited by: WMD ]

My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #1 on: 9 December 2003, 19:48 »
So my cousin who has Windows 98 can't use WindowsUpdate.com anymore.

I'm glad, because Microsoft can't sabotage Windows 98 now. That's right, Windows 98 is much slower when you install all the updates for it, so that people will migrate to Windows XP.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #2 on: 9 December 2003, 22:25 »
The "drop win98 to comply with Sun Java settlement" is just sooooo much MSBS(tm).
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

black crow

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2003, 08:56 »
quote:
So my cousin who has Windows 98 can't use WindowsUpdate.com anymore.

I'm glad, because Microsoft can't sabotage Windows 98 now. That's right, Windows 98 is much slower when you install all the updates for it, so that people will migrate to Windows XP.

Cool!  That means no more updates (read: time-wasting!)for me either   :D   I'm running 98SE & have no plans to upgrade to XP, screw you very much M$!!!
I really hate this damn machine
I'm thinking I should sell it
It never does what I want it to
It just does what I tell it.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2003, 22:02 »
you're staying with 98 over an NT-based version?

DUMMY HEAD

98 is shit. at least run 95, or NT 4. Better yet, 2000. 95 was better than 98, 'cos it was hella faster, didn't have internet shithead, and it was better, and it didn't have internet shithead, and it was better and it didn't have internet shithead, and it was cool.

NT 4 at least 'cos it was cool and is better.

2000 because it's cool too and is better.

NT 3.1 was better than 98.

98 sucks ass. stop using it
Go the fuck ~

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2003, 22:58 »
Windows and Windows NT < 4.0 aren't worth talking about. They were good for their time. They're useless now. They can't run shit or do anything we do nowadays. Forget them.

Windows 95: Pretty good. Not very bloated. Normal interface. Still usable but is pretty unstable if you decide to run newer applications and games.

Windows 98: Bloat. Integration. Monopolization. Unstable piece of shit. BSOD every hour.

Windows ME: One of the biggest embarassments to operating systems. Big piece of unstable, bloated,  ugly shit. No wonder it sold for half the price of Win95 and 98. I remember I got a BSOD the first time it booted after the first time I isntalled it on a brand new PC. I formatted an hour later.

Windows NT: Very good OS. Still can be used unless you do a lot of newer multimedia stuff and games.

Windows 2000: The best Windows OS to use. Pretty darn stable, but very usable considering some bloat and IE.

Windows XP: The beginning of the end for Windows. Bloat is too numerous to count. Takes hours to set up and configure to make it bearable if you're gonna use that shit. User interface designed for and by total idiots (I'm talking about the huge start ass menu, the stupid dog, and the dumb task-based panes). Hogs enormous amounts of memory and CPU time, making it slow. Made for idiots who say they like XP because it has a green Start botton and blue or silver bars. FUCKING IDIOCY! And the way all those GUI enhancements are designed only makes them incredibly slow.

Server 2003: Had a very critical security bug discovered only 1 day after the US government made a $90 million contract with it. Need I say more?

Longhorn: Will create a police state of your computer. XP was 2000 (a good OS) with too much bullshit just thrown into it making it horrible. Well longhorn is just XP with even more shit. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Longhorn is not an operating system. It's a bootable Media Player designed for toddlers who cant get enough eye candy.

Fuck Microsoft and fuck idiots.

[ December 10, 2003: Message edited by: xeen ]

WMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2003, 00:11 »
95 was good because it maintained most of the DOS limitations, like 64MB RAM.  With 98 they stretched the DOS kernel far past its limits, so it sucked.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2003, 00:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by WMD:
With 98 they stretched the DOS kernel far past its limits, so it sucked.

Getting rid of memory limitations is a bad thing???   :confused:    :confused:

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2003, 21:12 »
quote:

Getting rid of memory limitations is a bad thing???

You have to remember that we're talking about Microsoft here. Under normal circumstances, and normal soft, then your perplexity would be understandable. When M$ created Win 95, they had already stretched the capabilities of DOS way beyong its intended territory. By removing those memory limitations, they ended up making Win 98 and Win ME highly unstable, the extra memory capability did no good at all, as these latter iterations of Win 9x were no faster, or even slower, than Win 95.    

As usual, they foulded it up.   :eek:  

If software can be free, why can't dolphins?
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

WMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 12 December 2003, 00:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:

Getting rid of memory limitations is a bad thing???    :confused:      :confused:  

Well the DOS kernel wasn't designed to handle all that memory.  Plus, everything else up ^ there.  :D
My BSOD gallery

solarismka

« Reply #10 on: 15 December 2003, 06:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:
Windows and Windows NT < 4.0 aren't worth talking about. They were good for their time. They're useless now. They can't run shit or do anything we do nowadays. Forget them.

Windows 95: Pretty good. Not very bloated. Normal interface. Still usable but is pretty unstable if you decide to run newer applications and games.

Windows 98: Bloat. Integration. Monopolization. Unstable piece of shit. BSOD every hour.

Windows ME: One of the biggest embarassments to operating systems. Big piece of unstable, bloated,  ugly shit. No wonder it sold for half the price of Win95 and 98. I remember I got a BSOD the first time it booted after the first time I isntalled it on a brand new PC. I formatted an hour later.

Windows NT: Very good OS. Still can be used unless you do a lot of newer multimedia stuff and games.

Windows 2000: The best Windows OS to use. Pretty darn stable, but very usable considering some bloat and IE.

Windows XP: The beginning of the end for Windows. Bloat is too numerous to count. Takes hours to set up and configure to make it bearable if you're gonna use that shit. User interface designed for and by total idiots (I'm talking about the huge start ass menu, the stupid dog, and the dumb task-based panes). Hogs enormous amounts of memory and CPU time, making it slow. Made for idiots who say they like XP because it has a green Start botton and blue or silver bars. FUCKING IDIOCY! And the way all those GUI enhancements are designed only makes them incredibly slow.

Server 2003: Had a very critical security bug discovered only 1 day after the US government made a $90 million contract with it. Need I say more?

Longhorn: Will create a police state of your computer. XP was 2000 (a good OS) with too much bullshit just thrown into it making it horrible. Well longhorn is just XP with even more shit. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Longhorn is not an operating system. It's a bootable Media Player designed for toddlers who cant get enough eye candy.

Fuck Microsoft and fuck idiots.

[ December 10, 2003: Message edited by: xeen ]

Agreed.  You really can't use a spread sheet on a game concole.

I love 9x though, not have as much as Linux.  I could do more in it than any of the NT line.

And it still has a lot less bullshit then what win2k ends up with all the updates.

Can do more than NT4 and, well xp and such arn't operating systems.  There just a product to fill in a service to complete a marking ploy.  Nothing more.
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

black crow

« Reply #11 on: 15 December 2003, 18:49 »
quote:
Cool! That means no more updates (read: time-wasting!)for me either  :D  I'm running 98SE & have no plans to upgrade to XP, screw you very much M$!!!

Yep, I know 98 sux. I detest most, if not all Windoze OS's (especially ME - it's pure crap!)  But what I meant by the above quote was, instead of upgrading to a newer Windoze, I would much rather just punt Windoze altogether & run Linux exclusively (I'm already running Mandrake 9.1 dual booting with 98SE).  

I have reservations about putting a different Windoze on my system. I'm worried about it screwing up on me even more  ( :mad:  damn you Gate$!!!!)  But if I absolutely had to upgrade to a newer Windoze, I'd probably go with 2k, as it seems to be the best of a bad bunch.
I really hate this damn machine
I'm thinking I should sell it
It never does what I want it to
It just does what I tell it.