Author Topic: Oooh, is Microsoft scared of little ol' Linux?  (Read 711 times)

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Oooh, is Microsoft scared of little ol' Linux?
« on: 29 November 2002, 08:27 »
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/28348.html

quote:
MS targets Linux defectors with 'special' price discounts
By John Lettice
Posted: 28/11/2002 at 14:45 GMT

Savage discounts and easy payment terms available on Microsoft software, should you look like you're about to jump ship for Open Source? We all know that this kind of thing happens, but from what a Yankee Group analyst has been telling Newsfactor, this semi-ad hoc procedure has been formalised as part of a new 'Open Value' licensing programme, to be launched next year.

It works like this, according to Yankee Group's Laura DiDio. If a Microsoft sales rep gets the impression that "there's a real threat of some pretty large numbers of defections to open source," they call control in order to get discount authorisation, and this can be up to 50 per cent.

That in itself is not particularly new, but it may well be that the procedure will be more extensively used as Microsoft kicks off a counter-attack against open source incursions, defections and general disaffection caused by Licensing 6. The company, even Steve Ballmer, now concedes that it might just have goofed with its new licensing procedure whereby (we precis, of course) you pay Microsoft a king's ransom upfront in order to get yourself locked into the company's favoured bracing upgrade cycle for free.

Never mind, it was a very lucrative goof, and we've got the money now. But Microsoft hasn't got the money from people who didn't buy in at the time, and while Licensing 6 was effective in recruiting (grumbling hard) major customers who were already locked in, it's a serious cost hurdle for outfits insufficiently locked, those who still have some kind of choice.

Small businesses in particular will tend to fall into this category, both because they usually don't have that much to rip and replace, and because Microsoft has historically been weak in that sector; and open source is just about the only rival game in town.

Open Value will therefore allow them to spread the payment for Licensing 6 over three years, and zero per cent finance is being offered in one of those handy limited-time buy-now-or-regret-it schemes Microsoft likes so much.

According to Newsfactor Microsoft seems to be particularly concerned about Lindows, which will no doubt come as a surprise to all the distro snobs who hang around The Register. But when you think about it, maybe it's not so weird. While Red Hat and SuSE both have products aimed at, and ambitions for, the Windows replacement market, Lindows is probably the one embittered office managers are most likely to trip over when trudging disconsolately round Walmart or similar.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #1 on: 3 December 2002, 05:44 »
Check this out:

quote:
The company I am working with is a pure-Microsoft company, i.e. they only used to use Microsoft software, and they even didn't know anything about Open Source.

It was a painful but successful transition. But this is not the reason I am writing.

The reason is Microsoft itself. When the local Microsoft rep "heard" (someone inside the company tipped them off), they asked to meet my team(!) and discuss the reasons for our Open Source use.

In fact, it was a meeting of 2 1/2 hours with 3 Microsoft sales/consulting reps trying to persuade us not to use Open Source (mainy they talked about "Linux" until we told them that we don't use Linux and that we don't understand what they are talking about :) because "it is inherently insecure, unreliable" and, what was their biggest argument, "there is nobody in this country who could give you any support for Open Source", etc.

Also, they wanted(!) (actually they "required") us to tell them the reasons why we are using Open Source instead of the already introduced and long-time proven Microsoft Software in this company.

Then I started explaining the four reasons above, and when we came to the point of "Licensing Costs", they offered us TO give the Windows server licences for free.

I am not kidding. When I told them that I'd need at least ten licenses and at $400/each, this would be too much for me for the beginning, they offered to give us the license for free - and not only for now, but also for the future when we kept working on Microsoft. (The Register)

"I am not kidding. When I told them that I'd need at least ten licenses and at $400/each, this would be too much for me for the beginning, they offered to give us the license for free..."

Yes, heroin and crack dealers have also been known to do that. Give 'em enough of a free taste to get 'em hooked; get a customer for life.    Notice the Linux fixation these sales reps had. The yutzes apparantly aren't even aware that Open Source is bigger than Linux.

"...because 'it is inherently insecure, unreliable' and, what was their biggest argument, 'there is nobody in this country who could give you any support for Open Source', etc. Now hold on there! Didn't Steve Ballmer himself, just not too long ago, promise that the MS FUD campaign was over?(!)  :eek:   Didn't he give a speech wherein he promised that, from now on, MS was going to concentrate on "added value"?(!)  :eek:   So what were these sales reps doing here? What happened to Ballmer's promise?(!) (As if we didn't know     ;)   )

"Also, they wanted(!) (actually they 'required') us to tell them the reasons why we are using Open Source instead of the already introduced and long-time proven Microsoft Software in this company."

Required?(!) This sort of chutzpah defies imagination.   :eek:   If that had been my company, I'd've told them that it was NONE of their GODDAMNED business why we were switching over to Open Source. And then I'd've thrown their ASSES right out onto the street, telling them that if any MS cock-suck sales rep dared set foot on my property I'd have the bastard arrested for trespassing.    

These people really are incredible: no ethics, little knowledge, and it would appear, no manners either. WHOOOHOOO...I LOVE THAT COMPANY!    :D  

Their fundamental design flaws are completely concealed by their superficial design flaws.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: 3 December 2002, 06:55 »
I saw that too. I couldn't help but be reminded of the couple of occasions that we were "audited" by Microsoft. I'm sorry but I just don't see how they can get away with shit like that. If it were my company I would have told them to get lost. Who do they think they are, the government? Apparently so. I call it one giant fscking ego.

[ December 02, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

beltorak0

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.angelfire.com/realm/beltorak
« Reply #3 on: 3 December 2002, 07:13 »
quote:

"...because 'it is inherently insecure, unreliable' and, what was their biggest argument, 'there is nobody in this country who could give you any support for Open Source', etc. Now hold on there! Didn't Steve Ballmer himself, just not too long ago, promise that the MS FUD campaign was over?(!)  Didn't he give a speech wherein he promised that, from now on, MS was going to concentrate on "added value"?(!)  So what were these sales reps doing here? What happened to Ballmer's promise?(!) (As if we didn't know  )

But the general populace will never know, and therefore never call him a liar for breaking his promise -- and even if this incident did get into wide circulation, he could claim that the sales reps were not in line with corporate politics or whatever.

My favorite part is that "_"linux is inherently insecure and unreliable"_" -- but they completely abandonded that stance in front of the NSA when those great ol' American spooks released SELinux.  Remember hearing about that?  I finally re-found the article here.
<<-excerpt->>

quote:

Microsoft vs. the NSA
SE Linux may be the NSA's last direct contribution to open-source security, however. Because of loud criticism, the NSA will have a far less direct role in the creation of more secure versions of open-source software.

"We didn't fully understand the consequences of releasing software under the GPL (General Public License)," said Dick Schafer, deputy director of the NSA. "We received a lot of loud complaints regarding our efforts with SE Linux."

Many complaints criticized the agency for providing the fruits of research to everyone, not just U.S. companies, and thus hurting American business.

While stressing that the agency received a loud chorus of support as well, the chagrined Schafer said that the issue was contentious enough that "we won't be doing anything like that again."

Sources familiar with events said that aggressive Microsoft lobbying efforts have contributed to a halt on any further work. "Microsoft was worried that the NSA's releasing open-source software would compete with American proprietary software," said a source familiar with the complaints against the NSA who asked not to be identified.

Microsoft would not comment directly on its lobbying efforts, but did stress that it wanted to ensure the government continued to fund commercial ventures. "The federal government plays an important role in funding basic software research," said a Microsoft representative. "Our interest is in helping to ensure that the government licenses its research in ways that take into account a stated goal of the U.S. government: to promote commercialization of public research."

Did you see that?  M$ didn't want the NSA to stop working on SELinux because it is inherently less secure, but because contributing to GPL code directly hurts the sale of proprietary code.  No mention of insecurities in Linux architecture, because coming from the spooks who are security, Linux was the platform of choice (probably more due to it's higher profile than, say, OpenBSD which would have made a better choice purely in terms of security, methinks, but read the whole article for a discussion of a successful hack into SELinux....).  Also, notice that M$ and the regular gang of corporate thugs didn't ask the NSA to contribute to making proprietary code more secure, but that they merely fund American companies so that supposedly the Am. Companies will make thier own version of SE-O/S.

As a small aside, the NSA might have already made a SE-M$-Windows, but because they can't get the code legitimately, no one would trust them.  Also, because they could not release the code afterwards, who is to say that the NSA didn't put a few back doors in for themselves...?
see this about the possibility of the NSA already having keys to the Window$ kingdom....
Just the fact that it might be likely spooks a lot of people (pun intended).  But, under the terms of the GPL they must release modifications to GNU/Linux -- does anyone know where we can grab the source? -- and backdoors become extreemly unlikley.  Not impossible because of the strange grey areas of the GPL, but unlikely.

Also, notice that the NSA didn't say they would stop working on SELinux, they would just stop releasing it to the public.  I can garuntee you that they use Unices on thier internet interfaces; search the web about portscans of the NSA's internet machines -- the OS fingerprints change daily.  I challenge anybody to make a windows machine look like Solaris, UNIX, Linux, OpenBSD, Windows 9x/NT4.0, etc etc.   With the NetFilter Hack and iptables provided by Rusty Russel It is possible to modify the network stack and use a dynamic firewall to scramble the OS fingerprint -- see the nmap site for a discussion of os fingerprinting.  Under windows you would have to rewrite at least one entire network stack to get the same preformance.  Quite possibly both the incoming and outgoing stacks, to ensure that the kernel doesn't kick back invalid packets before they could be handled by the OS-scrambler.  Very little would have to be changed in the Net Filter Hack to ensure that all packets travers the "mangle POST-ROUTING" chain because iptables rests on the NetFilter Hack.  Just search the net for additions to the NetFilter Hack.  "perlipq" is the most prominent.

where was I?

maybe I should just
</ramble>
</transmission>

-t.

[ December 02, 2002: Message edited by: beltorak0 ]

from Attrition.Org

quote:
Like many times before, Microsoft is re-inventing the wheel and opting for something other than round.

-t.

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #4 on: 3 December 2002, 07:29 »
yeah, i hate when that happens, profit over function. if somebody competent ran the nsa, ms would get laughed out for securtiy reasons and solarise or the likes would probably already be in use. in fact, nsa uses a shit load of solarise, i know from personal experiance/*too bad the solarise admin down the street moved to a nieghber hood thats down the road instead of down the driveway*/ he was telling me thqat linux is "forbidenn friut" nowdays
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 3 December 2002, 07:43 »
I don't know about that. Looks like they are still working on this, at least as late as October 22:

http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/news.html

So I don't know if that news article was just a bunch of bunk or what... but if it were true I would have responded to Microsoft this way: "We would be happy to release an SEWindows under the GPL if you like."

But it just goes to show that Microsoft is more in favor of stifling technology advancements than enhancing them. It's all about the almightly dollar. I would say they will never get another dollar from me but as long as my government continues to use Windows I have no control where my tax dollars go.

[ December 02, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

beltorak0

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.angelfire.com/realm/beltorak
« Reply #6 on: 3 December 2002, 10:15 »
quote:

I would have responded to Microsoft this way: "We would be happy to release an SEWindows under the GPL if you like."

Ha Ha Ha!!!  That would be kickass!!
I have often wished that the DoJ impose a short timeline for complience with the spirit and the letter of the ruling (say, one year) or force all current source code for the OS's be released under the GPL (from Win386 to Longhorn), as well as the compiler, so the GPL source can be compiled with the GPL compiler and the resultant binaries could be checked.

I did some reading at the NSA site; they release all modofications as source under the applicaple license -- GPL or BSD.  I'm not sure about the newly created apps though, but they sure seem into the spirit of a free (as in speach) development community.  The reason they chose Linux was it's wide base of developers.

NSA SELinux Faq

quote:

Does NSA have plans to use it internally?

For obvious reasons, NSA does not comment on operational uses.

lol.

-t.

-t.
from Attrition.Org

quote:
Like many times before, Microsoft is re-inventing the wheel and opting for something other than round.

-t.

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #7 on: 5 December 2002, 21:25 »
quote:
I saw that too. I couldn't help but be reminded of the couple of occasions that we were "audited" by Microsoft. I'm sorry but I just don't see how they can get away with shit like that. If it were my company I would have told them to get lost.
I can. They get away with it because companies don't have the cojones to tell these M$ auditors to go to hell. Sure, you could do that, and then they'd come back with John Law in tow with a search warrant. Also, part of the deal is that if these auditors don't find any license violations, then M$ eats the cost of the audit. If they do find a violation, then the company pays for it. Have you ever read one of those EULAs? The damn things are full of lawyer-speak, will numb your mind faster than 500mG of thorazine, and are damn near incomprehensible. Not only that, but they are extremely slippery. M$ can change the terms of these things without your knowledge and concent.

Given that, what are the odds that these auditors could find some violation if they looked hard enough? Companies find it much easier to comply with the auditors, rather than sending them off to petition a judge to grant a warrant, and, in the process, pissing them off royally.

Of course, in the end, this type of behavior will  end up driving more and more companies to Linux.    

Their fundamental design flaws are completely concealed by their superficial design flaws
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #8 on: 5 December 2002, 10:11 »
too bad you can't tell them that got the software from www.goatse. cx /*its not a link for a reason, most should know, but for the non-scared, call your mom in and tell her about some shoping site and give her that one*/
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!