Author Topic: Lindows CEO wants a piece of Microsoft,  (Read 614 times)

mc0282

• Kudos: 0
Lindows CEO wants a piece of Microsoft,
« on: 6 August 2003, 08:56 »
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5060075.html

"You're also taking a poke at Microsoft with your Xbox hacking challenge. What prompted that?
Well, I don't believe digital rights management is a good thing for consumers, and I believe the Xbox is Microsoft's first attempt at digital rights management. By digital rights management, I mean the hardware company or the software company deciding what you can and cannot use on your machine.

Xbox is in my view a predecessor to Longhorn or whatever the code name is for the next generation of their operating system, where they get to decide what software you run. And that's a very dangerous world for consumers. It means Microsoft will control what software you run, and you can rest assured Microsoft will put up a toll gate at every opportunity to charge you the maximum amount. And furthermore, they'll be able to determine what you can do with your own content. Can you encode your CDs? Can you watch your DVDs? That will all be determined by the software companies or the hardware companies involved. I'd rather have it be determined by the end user."

I LOVE THIS FUCKING DUDE, THE FIRST TIME A COMPANY THE HAS BIG BALL TO GO AGAINST MICROSOFT..
huh, what?

slvadcjelli42

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #1 on: 7 August 2003, 03:12 »
I don't particularly care for his OS, but some of his actions definitely are good! I couldn't stop laughing the first time I read about that X-box hacking thing.   :cool:

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #2 on: 7 August 2003, 08:34 »
Sooner or later the software companies would say to themselves "Why am I paying tolls to go through gates when you can go to Macintosh or Linux machines?"