Author Topic: Microsoft wants to take control of our living rooms..  (Read 782 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
with their new entertainment computers/software
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1211&e=2&u=/nm/20030930/tc_nm/tech_microsoft_mediacenter_dc&sid=95573372

I can just imagine the poor souls who use this to watch TV, getting a BSOD all the time.

jasonlane

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.root10.net
Microsoft wants to take control of our living rooms..
« Reply #1 on: 1 October 2003, 02:57 »
As was said in another article on this subject, the reg I think:

"were's Ctrl- Alt Del on a remote? "
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

mc0282

« Reply #2 on: 1 October 2003, 03:28 »
geez, i would never put a microsoft product in my living room i might get blue screen of dealth ...
huh, what?

Maniaman

« Reply #3 on: 1 October 2003, 07:13 »
*sets up vcr timer, to record a video on satellite overnight and goes off to bed*

Next Morning...

*plays the tape back in a non-ms VCR*
WTF! Failed to start timer
... ... the vcr locked up recordiong...
BSOID on satellite...
50 timer errors fill the screen...
Oh dear. The VCR blue screened.

<End Microsoft Living Room act>
I use my hotmail email on here to keep from begin spammed by trolls. If you want my good email address for something then ask... :)

solarismka

« Reply #4 on: 1 October 2003, 21:41 »
Now what is wrong with just a flat screen TV, a nice surround sound system and a DVD/VCR combo player??

I mean why on earth use a 'computer'  in the first place?????

'scratches head'

I'm wondering if consumers are gonna fall for this gimmick when x-man comes around.....
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #5 on: 1 October 2003, 21:53 »
-=Solaris.M.K.A=-:
Unless it doesn't have a tivo, it doesn't use linux.   :D   Seriously though, why not use something like linux for this? I'm pretty sure you could set up stuff like that on a timer to tune to a certain station and record a show through a VI/VO card. You would save space on the HD using a minimal setup, and no viruses to f**k things up.
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #6 on: 1 October 2003, 13:23 »
quote:
MisteR2: and no viruses to f**k things up.

What viruses? Unless the set is connected to the internet of course...

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #7 on: 1 October 2003, 23:11 »
Of course it will be set to connect to the internet, how else will microsoft find out what you watch?

Maniaman

« Reply #8 on: 2 October 2003, 02:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by M51DPS:
Of course it will be set to connect to the internet, how else will microsoft find out what you watch?

or they could take control of the coax  cables etc and send the info through those in some way shape of form... heh.
I use my hotmail email on here to keep from begin spammed by trolls. If you want my good email address for something then ask... :)