Operating Systems > Not Quite Mainstream OSes

Microsoft Windows!

(1/7) > >>

Calum:
yes, you read correctly, i said microsoft windows, and this is the alternate OSs section!

this is just a little note to mention that i am going to try and install a custom version of mswindows, using this page as a jump off point:
http://www.gaby.de/win3x/esoft.htm

Basically, i want to have FreeDOS as the (open source) operating system, run windows (3.11 for workgroups) over the top, with some GNU apps for DOS, and have Calmira (open source) provide the actual GUI!

I will be interested in what sort of non-MS networking and so on i an come up with too. i already have a netscape and mosaic to run on there, plus an old winamp 1.x and so forth.

just letting you know. it amuses me to think of mswindows sandwiched between two bits of open source software. the trouble will be getting it all to work together using only configuration (i cannot code, as i am duff).

Faust:
No offense but you are one sick man Calum.  

suselinux:

quote:Originally posted by Calum:
yes, you read correctly, i said microsoft windows, and this is the alternate OSs section!

this is just a little note to mention that i am going to try and install a custom version of mswindows, using this page as a jump off point:
http://www.gaby.de/win3x/esoft.htm

Basically, i want to have FreeDOS as the (open source) operating system, run windows (3.11 for workgroups) over the top, with some GNU apps for DOS, and have Calmira (open source) provide the actual GUI!

I will be interested in what sort of non-MS networking and so on i an come up with too. i already have a netscape and mosaic to run on there, plus an old winamp 1.x and so forth.

just letting you know. it amuses me to think of mswindows sandwiched between two bits of open source software. the trouble will be getting it all to work together using only configuration (i cannot code, as i am duff).
--- End quote ---

DR. Calum Frankenstien

It all sounds very intersting to me, but please don't post any screens.  I want to wait until the final version is out before I see LongHorn  :D  

HAHA

I kinda wonder why MS dosen't release the source code for windows 3x, they aren't going to make any more money from it.

Did, or does OS/2 run on a DOS back end

Calum, I have to ask what was your inspiration?

hm_murdock:
OS/2 is the back-end. it's not graphical in of itself. like Windows 9x, OS/2 runs a GUI shell over a text-based OS. However, unlike 9x, the OS below is 32-bit protected mode and is stable, fast, and supports all the cool shit

Calum:
also OS/2 supports MSDOS and windows 3.11 binaries also, but there are four reasons OS/2 never caught on:

1) direct competition with microsoft windows
2) everybody says OS/2 is really a bitch to administrate
3) OS/2 is stupidly expensive
4) slow moving sales, crap marketing, no compelling app, no reason to buy or switch to it.

back to "the project", no inspiration, i just read a lot of these people going on about how they want to remove pbrush, windows mediocre player and internet exploder from their computers, or use a shell other than explorer, but for some reason they want to keep windows. well i have dabbled in all that in the past, with limited success, and linux really answers all those issues better than any windows customisation could, but the fact is there are a lot of things come out since 1995, to enhance win3.11 and i thought well, older ms stuff will probably be less noncustomisable, plus why not try to kludge together as much of this as possible to come up with a working OS, with as much of it open source as possible...

i'm not saying it'll even work in the slightest, i suspect i will be waiting on FreeDOS to make a windows compatible version to be honest, and i could never get Desqview (the closed source port of X for MSDOS) to work*, but this might be something to do with it's activation code, and the fact that you can now legally use it, but you have to get an illegal seeming activation code, plus you have to download and create all the disks yourself. i may have done it all wrong, since there's little help and no support out there for it.

Anyway, i'm just interested in it. i'll have to look and see if there's a way i can install bash on a DOS system too, because the DOS CLI really sucks, although the FreeDOS crowd have *really* done a good job of adding the best bits of bash to their CLI.

* this was another ill fated competitor to MSwindows that was out about the same time as OS/2. the company that sold desqview wasn't as big as IBM, so they went bust.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version