Operating Systems > Not Quite Mainstream OSes

Commodore 64/128

(1/5) > >>

Calum:
I don't know anything about commodores. i have never used one or owned one.
I don't know anything about CP/M, or BASIC, whatever version the commodore has, i don't know the real difference between a commodore 128 and a commodore 64, wouldn't the entire chipset need to be changed for it to have more than 64k of memory?
also, i don't know anything about LUnix, the 'little unix'. Now i can read up on lunix, but does anybody know anything about the rest of the stuff? what hardware does a commodore come with? if i buy one second hand, will i need to buy seperate tape/disk drives, will it usually come with software? system disks? what monitor will i need to get for it? can i download stuff for use on it, on another machine, or is there no storage facility/filesystem that it will have in common with a modern 'PC'.
Anybody got any input? i will do my own research but if anybody has anything to say about the C=64, now is the time to say it.

thanks in advance...

Refalm:
Commodore 64:

I recommend a tape AND a disk drive. If someone's got all the Commodore 64 gadgets, just buy it, it will make your box much faster.

For the screen part, the best screen for the Commodore 64 is an old colour television. Those old monochrome monitors plain suck.

If you want to have Lunix on your Commodore 64, I think you should buy a PC tapestreamer and place the Lunix files there.

If you want to emulate Commodore 64 programmes and games in DOS, go here and download the emu. The images come in *.d64 and *.t64 files.

Calum:
well, do i want to run a c64 emulator on top of dosemu? (which i have never used?)

actually, this was one thing that really got me excited... it's a new c64 released to fit inside a normal ATX case! haven't taken a real look yet, but it sounds interesting...

Refalm:
You want to buy one of those? I heard they are hard to get, but when you have one, you have one of the most special and greatest computer in the world :) .

The Lunix operating system comes in *.c64.gz format, but I'm not sure how to extract this programme on a tape or disk... you might want to check out the Lunix page.

I only boot the Commodore 64 emulator to make BASIC programmes and to play cool games.

hm_murdock:
Commodore BASIC was the best EVER.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version