Author Topic: New NeXTStep / OSX Based OS  (Read 4719 times)

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
New NeXTStep / OSX Based OS
« Reply #30 on: 27 September 2003, 04:31 »
Quote from: Calum
1) when has a new product ever worried about how it will affect the market? new products are supposed to attempt to glut the market and that's it.they do not usuallyworry about the touchy feely aspects of everybody having a nice timetogether because competition is not like that.

I read what you said about corporations being greedy (with which I only partially agree), and I assume that what you just posted follows from that. But as you should know, non-profit organisations are fundamentally diffrerent from corporations, in that most of them ARE, in fact, concerned about the 'touchy feely' aspects, as illustrated by the very website where we are posting right now.

Quote from: hm_murdock
Remember, saying "we want to base it on NeXT" doesn't mean "OS X clone"... OS X is a NeXT derivative, not NeXTStep itself. OS X is NeXT with the Mac UI rules applied to it. We'd take NeXT and just change its UI some to friendly it up.

I guess I worry a bit too much, then. Still, I've seen so many great companies fall. Be inc. comes to mind.
« Last Edit: 8 February 2008, 05:11 by Orethrius »

flap

• Kudos: 137
« Reply #31 on: 27 September 2003, 04:41 »
Quote from: Laukev7
non-profit organisations are fundamentally diffrerent from corporations, in that most of them ARE, in fact, concerned about the 'touchy feely' aspects, as illustrated by the very website where we are posting right now.

I don't understand what you mean by this.
« Last Edit: 8 February 2008, 05:12 by Orethrius »
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #32 on: 27 September 2003, 05:11 »
Quote from: flap
I don't understand what you mean by this.

I would have thought that you, of all people on the forum, would have understood that. I didn't elaborate on this, because I did not want to digress from the topic.

Anyway, you do agree that most non-profit organisations have a motivation of some sort, right? Whether it's advocacy, political motives, or just offering a community service, they do have a motivation. FSF, OSI, W3C, anti-Microsoft campaigns, Macintosh advocates, anarchists, communists, christians, even the PNAC, they are driven by social motives, if it's not only for money. So, in that sense, people who seek to help community rather than get paid do it because they are concerned in some way by 'touchy feely' aspects.

On the other hand, the main concern of companies is to make money. Of course, this does not necessarily mean that they are unsrupulous bastards. Corporations, despite their nature, are after all groups of human beings. Many of them do have genuine feelings and concerns for society, even if they may be wrong or disconnected from reality. And, of course, there are the hypocritical liars.

Sorry if this does not make sense to you, but I was typing this in a hurry, and I have homework to do. I have German classes on Saturday morning.
« Last Edit: 8 February 2008, 05:17 by Orethrius »

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #33 on: 27 September 2003, 06:12 »
Wilkomen to das MES

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
« Reply #34 on: 27 September 2003, 10:16 »
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with laukev.  I think all organisation, businesses alike are after two main things.  Money and/or Power.  However, that is for another topic.

JJ and I had another convo/heated debate/relentless beating (again)  And we can't decide on what kind of video card support for Dagon (codename for NM Not Quartz).
I say screw the people with cards that can't support the Dagon equivilant of Quartz Extreme.
However, he wants support for old and new video cards.  I don't think I can accurately support his view, so I will tell you mine.  Then when he reads this he will tell you his.

I don't think we should spend extra time programming in cards and support for a CPU based Dagon.  Why do that when we can spend all of our time making a GPU based Dagon?  If we did this, there would be fewer bugs, fewer cards to troubloshoot, fewer possibilities for errors.  It would just make everything so much simpler.  And IMO, by the time this OS becomes popular (if it ever does) then all cards will be able to run Dagon Extreme.
You may ask why can some cards run it and some can't?  Its because some cards only support textures that are a power of 2 in size.  AKA 2, 4, 16, 32, 64, etc.  And since every window in Dagon Extreme is in essence a texture, there would be major problems.
So in order to support those old cards we have to make Dagon run on the CPU, slowing everything down.  Which if they person has a Rage 128, their CPU is already slow enough.
I'm not sure of all of the details when it comes to how much CPU intensive this OS will be.

In essence I stress quality over quantity.  Instead of supporting 30 cards, 10 of which are old and can't run dagon extreme.  We should focus our efforts on supporting 10 -15 cards really well.  Sure some people will need new computers, but they NEED new computers if their system doesn't already support this OS.  This will create less work for us, and fewer possible problems.

Of course in the end it comes to the devs.  What do they chose to do.  It is their option, they are the ones programming this bitch.

I think I'm done

suselinux

« Reply #35 on: 27 September 2003, 13:10 »
just support NVIDIA from the year 2000 on.

ATI Sucks, I don't know why, but they do.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #36 on: 27 September 2003, 15:08 »
no... leaving older cards out is absurd. Quartz doesn't require Radeons and GeForce cards. It gives them a better experience, but it doesn't cut you out if you don't have one.

to make an OS that's *better* than Windows, with the intention of getting joe average to be able to say "this is better" and want to switch... and then adopt an "exclusive" mindset toward supported hardware is ludicrous.

sure, it would be *easy* to hard-code the display layer to only use OpenGL calls, and therefore cut out everything but the Radeons and GeForce cards.

Remember, the issue is NOT "this card supports OpenGL" but whether or not the card would be able to *render a full desktop UI with GL*.

The Rage128 series, and its counterparts (nVidia Vanta and Riva, S3 Savage) support GL... but all have the unfortunate problem of only supporting textures that are a power-of-two size.

Rage128 chipsets don't have any trouble running Quartz. They're incapable of running Quartz Extreme.

Did Apple require that you have a Radeon or GeForce to run Mac OS X? NO. that would be absolutely stupid... and it would be business suicide.

to build the Dagon display layer, you'll need to take it in steps... the first step will be to build a display ghostscript layer... make it do this first, then add the OpenGL engine. you'll have the core graphics layer, and then the driver for the vid card will enable OpenGL acceleration.

it's not easier... but it's BETTER. X11 and Windows GDI might not be the best frameworks from a technological standpoint, but their support for a wide range of video cards is superb. by using plug-in drivers, you can support different chipsets and squeeze all the performance you can from them. so why not build a better display layer, and design it to use plug-in drivers? you can provide decent support out-of-the-box for most things, and then let people build their own drivers for really wierd and rare things, like Voodoo.

I honestly don't give a shit if it's "really easy" to only support bleeding edge, but I do care if joe average realizes that he's going to have to *buy a new video card* or even BUY A NEW COMPUTER just to run an OS that he *doesnt really need*.

my suggestion is this

your top-tier cards (GeForce series, Radeons) get all the perks from their optimized drivers. OpenGL acceleration (Dagon Extreme), all that shit.

the next tier (Rage128, Vanta, Riva) get all the features, save for Dagon Extreme. video acceleration is enabled, and you get nice, smooth playback of movies, et cetera. these chipsets get tweaked drivers that squeeze everything that can be sucked from these still very viable cards (seeing as they're STILL PRODUCED)

the next tier down is when things start getting to the border of "underpowered"... the Rage 2s, Rage Pros, the Intel810, and other older or marginally powered chipsets. these guys get rather generic drivers that allows Dagon to run... that's about it. it won't be syrupy slow... but it won't be a speed demon either. video might be rather jerky and poor quality. third parties are free to make more optimized drivers, but don't expect that to help these cards out an awful lot.

below that is the "unsupported" category. these chipsets use a generic framebuffer driver which allows Dagon to run... and that's it. forget watching videos, all you've got is a framebuffer. slow world. people can build drivers for unsupported chipsets if they wish. make them open source, or closed commercial. if they're OSS, we'll include them in the next release. if not... well, we won't.

by giving support for a wider range, you're going to open the OS up to so many more people.

to say "we will only support cards that will run Dagon Extreme"... you've just said "don't even look at our OS". the people that have these cards, are more than likely gamers, and they're going to run Windows until you pry it from their skeletal fingers.

Jeff is a Mac user, and he's honestly thinking too much like one. Apple knows exactly what cards they need to support and can put a lot of effort into making things work well. they're also a hardware company, and if they can give you an incentive to buy a new computer... they will.

by saying you're going to develop an OS for PCs, right there you've opened pandora's box. you've committed to supporting a myriad of mainboard chipsets, sound cards, modems, network adaptors, video cards, et cetera.

by saying you want to build an OS that will give Windows users a real reason to leave it behind, you're saying that your OS will install on their hardware and just work. they WILL EXPECT IT TO DO SO.

they don't care if you have an ideal machine. they don't care if you think that they should have the newest video card. they're tired of windows, you've given them an option... a truly BETTER way out... oh, but wait. there's a catch. they'd better have an up-to-date computer or they're out in the cold.

they'll dismiss the product as being the ultimate resource hog, being poorly designed, poorly thought out, and badly built. ultimately... they won't use it.

I'm sorry, but I don't have an elitist view of what this project should be. I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE MAC OS X.

I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE MAC OS X

I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE MAC OS X

I want to make something that nearly anybody can install on their computer, and have something better than windows. I honestly would condem the project if it became an "elitist" OS the way I think he wants it to.

this was my idea, all I did was ask a couple of people what they thought of it. I had an idea to make a NeXT-like OS that would run on mid-range and low-end hardware so that anybody can run it....  and then add special features for high-end hardware so that people who have the newer stuff can take advantage of it. I love how it's suddenly turned into a Mac OS X clone for ultra-high performance workstations, and the idea is to say "fuck those poor saps who have older hardware".

GOD DAMN IT I WONDER WHY I FUCKING TRY SOMETIMES

[ September 27, 2003: Message edited by: Jimmy's Always On Topic ]
« Last Edit: 8 February 2008, 05:18 by Orethrius »
Go the fuck ~

flap

• Kudos: 137
« Reply #37 on: 27 September 2003, 15:16 »
Quote from: Laukev7
Anyway, you do agree that most non-profit organisations have a motivation of some sort, right? Whether it's advocacy, political motives, or just offering a community service, they do have a motivation. FSF, OSI, W3C, anti-Microsoft campaigns, Macintosh advocates, anarchists, communists, christians, even the PNAC, they are driven by social motives, if it's not only for money. So, in that sense, people who seek to help community rather than get paid do it because they are concerned in some way by 'touchy feely' aspects.

Yes exactly; social motives, or offering a community service. Calum was saying that non-profit groups don't have any obligation not to step on the toes or hurt the feelings of corporations. If they change what they do out of deference to a corporation, then they're letting down the community they're supposed to be serving.
« Last Edit: 8 February 2008, 05:19 by Orethrius »
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Laukev7

• VIP
« Reply #38 on: 27 September 2003, 17:35 »
Quote from: flap
Yes exactly; social motives, or offering a community service. Calum was saying that non-profit groups don't have any obligation not to step on the toes or hurt the feelings of corporations. If they change what they do out of deference to a corporation, then they're letting down the community they're supposed to be serving.

That depends on what the the non-profit group aims to. Sometimes, non-profit organisations are advocacy groups. I never said that organisations had obligations not to hurt corporations. But if a particular corporation is directly involved (as it would have been the case if some group expressly aimed to replace a company's product, which is fortunately not our case), then some considerations should be taken if many members are supporters of that particular company. Now, you'll excuse me, I have to leave for my German.
« Last Edit: 8 February 2008, 05:21 by Orethrius »

billy_gates

« Reply #39 on: 27 September 2003, 20:05 »
Quote from: suselinux
just support NVIDIA from the year 2000 on.

ATI Sucks, I don't know why, but they do.

i love you

and JJ.  No reason to get so mad.  A nice calm post would have been just as effective.

One more thing I would like to add.  Have any of you thought that maybe one of the reasons why Windows is so buggy and shitty is because it supports so much hardware?  I bet that is MS removed all driver support except SB Live, Audigy, Radeon, and Geforce support.  Windows would run a lot better right off the bat.  Of course they still have code to fix, but I bet that would help.

JJ I have only been a Mac user for 2 years.  For the other 6 that we had a computer.  I used Windows, starting with 3.1.  So don't imply that I'm blinded by Steve's ways.  I'm not.  I still use my PC (not much, but when I have to, I do)  But I am in no way blinded by mein F
« Last Edit: 8 February 2008, 05:27 by Orethrius »

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #40 on: 28 September 2003, 01:16 »
sorry...

that was mainly caused by a lack of sleep and food :o
« Last Edit: 8 February 2008, 05:29 by Orethrius »
Go the fuck ~

suselinux

« Reply #41 on: 28 September 2003, 14:39 »
If you want to make this a commercial distro make people think that this system is meant for great computers.  

Even if you drive a tercel like me your gonna want to use the motor oil designed for performance engines right?

If this was a linux distro that was comunity driven then I would say fuck you support everything, but if this a for-profit project then just support the computers that wealthy people already own.

my specs

AMD 1.3GHz

Sound card integrated on the mian board

Video card Integrated

Ethernet card Integrated

noticing a pattern???

I went out and said to the guy at a place called A-Power what is your cheapest system, and what is your cheapest 17" monitor.

and i got this web page

well that one from a year ago it's been upgraded since then......

So not even I would be using this OS, Besides how could I ever leave SuSE.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #42 on: 28 September 2003, 15:29 »
even if it were closed commercial, I'd rather sell it for a fair price and support a wider range of hardware.

but, it's gonna be open source, using BSD, and there'll probably be a "free" edition and a "boxed" edition
Go the fuck ~

billy_gates

« Reply #43 on: 29 September 2003, 21:14 »
I think "if" this goes commercial.  Then we can start thinking about working on old card support.  But in the beginning we should keep it simple.  Geforce and Radeon support.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #44 on: 29 September 2003, 10:50 »
nope. sorry. wrong answer.

You won't want to sell it unless it's popular. It'll NEVER get popular with an "exclusive" mindset like that.

Trust me.

If people that don't have badass new hardware look at this and realize they have to go buy a new computer just to run it, they'll say fuck you.

They might as well go buy a Mac. I'd much rather them be able to look at this and say "wow, it's really badass, is based on legendary NeXTStep, and can bring some of the capabilities of a Macintosh TO MY EXISTING HARDWARE"

I still dont' see your reluctance to wanting to ACTUALLY SUPPORT PEOPLE! Why do you believe so strongly in having something that nofuckingbody will use? What is your obsession with turning this into OS X? I didn't ASK you to be a part of it, all I did was ask you if it sounded like a good idea. The only person I ever really talked to about it was psyjax.

I'd rather see the project never happen than see it ruined by such a crippling and idiotic decision
Go the fuck ~