Operating Systems > Not Quite Mainstream OSes

BeOS Max 3.0 released.

(1/6) > >>

Laukev7:
http://www.beosmax.org/main.php

Yay! Now at last I can reinstall BeOS on my computer! I wanted to reinstall BeOS, but was waiting for the latest version of BeOS Max, and didn't want to burn a CD for both 2.1 and 3.0.

[ September 24, 2003: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

mobrien_12:
How does this work exactly?  Is it the real BeOS?  I thought the source was proprietary, closed, and owned by Palm.

hm_murdock:
I dunno, and don't care... THIS ROCKS

Laukev7:

quote:Originally posted by M. O'Brien:
How does this work exactly?  Is it the real BeOS?  I thought the source was proprietary, closed, and owned by Palm.
--- End quote ---

It is. But BeOS Personal Edition, albeit closed, is free to distribute. BeOS Max 3.0 is basically a BeOS PE with a slightly different theme and bundled with apps. Also, they added patches to make it compatible with newer hardware (AMD processors, Geforce 4, Audigy).

There are, though, a few open source BeOS clones in development that try to achieve binary compatibility, such as OpenBeOS or Blue Eyed OS. The developpers of BeOS Max are making a distribution, dubbed "Walter" (Does anyone else see a coincidence?), which will use OpenBeOS. Yellow Tab is also developping their own commercial BeOS, which they licensed from Palm, IIRC.

[ September 25, 2003: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

mushrooomprince:
So what is BeOS anyways ?  And is it any good ?

Please remember guys that I'm not paranoid on aim so if you would like to message me on AIM your welcome to do so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version