Author Topic: Want 2 Help create new OS?  (Read 5167 times)

devlkore

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.sparktasty.tk/
Want 2 Help create new OS?
« Reply #15 on: 27 March 2003, 00:19 »
Ok, so datacide may not have the best presentation.

But maybe he's a really good programmer and actually has some good ideas. Why don't you grow up and either give some constructive critisism or help out.

Not one of you has actually asked how he intends on doing this, there could be a plan, maybe even a good one.

Find this STufF out, then bitch at him if he's just full of it.
sono sain wa nihongo desu

pkd_lives

« Reply #16 on: 27 March 2003, 00:39 »
Hey nothing in his post suggests he is anything more than someone posting for a laugh, there is confusion between OS and Programming language, there are terms that are not related to anything really (such as mac) he suggests using parts of other OSs, which is pretty pointless as they are protected under copyright and other licensing laws, he offers up a term for an OS that already exists (existed anyway). And what best parts of M$ Windows XP and Mac OSX? The best parts of these Operating systems were originally part of BSD (opinion of course).

There are no details on what the Operating system is going to do, how much technical knowledge he has, and what this OS is designed to do that cannot already be done elsewhere. In fact all those things exist in Linux already.

Also no statement on what license the release is intended, if it will be for sale, and what type of architecture it will be compiled for, what hardware the OS is going to need for it to run, if not generally available.

Also there is the calling it a DMS (Disk Management System), that is not really important, it is a minor part of what the OS does.

The poster is either really really taking the piss, or needs to drop a chill pill, step back and breath deeply, research the computing world a little more and then work on writting a file management tool, because it seems that is what he really wants.

If the poster is a wonderful coder, and has some ideas he wants to implement that is great, but in the past few months there have been a number of posters who have had that most revolutionary idea, of writting a new OS - Just like Linus. The reason Linus got where he did was that he did something different, did it very well, and did it because it was his hobby/fun/prefered waste of time.

There are already hundereds of projects on source forge looking for developers, coders, etc. and if these people want to help them then that would be a much more constructive area to offer their skills and ideas. And if their unltimate goal is to write an OS, then great that would teach them much more about how an OS works.

This is not meant to be some harsh bashing of the write an OS idea, but I feel the original poster is diving in the deep end. Writting an OS takes and incredible amount of knowledge, and it strikes me that the poster has not gained the rudiments of that knowledge...yet.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Datacide

« Reply #17 on: 27 March 2003, 00:54 »
Ok, look... My main goal in life is creating a better corporation than Microsoft no matter how many people tell me it's impossible. Microsoft got where it is from two things: 1) Operating Systems, and 2) Programming Languages. I have done lots of research to find out what people hate and love about Windows, Linux, OS-X, VB, QB, C++, and so on. I have a tons of documentation for my proposed OS and programming language, posted originally is just some thoughts. I am serious. I am a hacker. Therefore I could try and do it myself but that would take forever. This is no joke. If you don't want part in this development then puss out. If you don't know me, don't speculate. I can program in more languages than most people know exist. I entend to program this whole thing is pure ASM. As they said in the movie Ocean Eleven, "Are you in or are you out?"

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #18 on: 27 March 2003, 01:28 »
Ok great, but there's no need to go reinventing the wheel.  I personally don't see the need for yet another programming language when we have so many to choose from (C, C++, Java, visual basic (yecch) etc.)  Start small, I say.  Since you want other people's assistence in creating this I assume it will be free software, right?  Why not create an operating system based on already-existing technology?  When you stand on the shouldrers of giants, you certainly stand a better chance at combating Microsoft or whatever it is that motivates you.  Creating your own Linux distribution would be the perfect idea in my opinion.  There are some nice Linux-based operating systems out there but there is always room for innovation.  Anyway, I'd choose to make my first OS based on Linux, since it's well documented and there are good howto's on the linux-from-scratch website.  (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/)

There are many free software projects that need good programmers.  If you're interested in user interfaces, please please check out the slicKer for KDE project (http://slicker.sourceforge.net/) -- especially if you have any knowledge of QT.  Anyway, I'm sure a lot of us have ideas on how to make operating systems better, so if you really are serious then just ask, but try to make it specific.

pkd_lives

« Reply #19 on: 27 March 2003, 01:53 »
If you want skilled help you must provide technical data, requirement for programming skills (hint : ASM is not capabale of doing what you want to do), and you need to either give an idea of salary and benefits, or provide some completed code released under an open source license, bacause you will not be able to get help otherwise. Like I said above, sourceforge has several OS projects, that are Open source, and those are the ones getting help. Everyone else who does not release under open source must pay, in some manner or other. And this information is required up front.

Your request for help will be met by more people if you present a website full of data, detailing your aims, projected future, plans, what you have done so far (no-one is going to help you develop without first having something you have already put into the project), license proposed, development schedule, etc.

If you really are as serious as you say then go for it, and best of luck, I always like to support people who have the skills and determination to do something with their lives but if you want to be that successful you need to learn what you are doing, and mindless and confused statements on a forum are not going to get you anywhere.

But if all you want to be is another Bill Gates then tough shit, I don't support him and his companies inferior software, and I don't support Lindows because he just wants to be another Bill Gates, and I try to avoid supporting any big business, because they serve little benefit to society. And you won't get any support from here if that is what you want.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Datacide

« Reply #20 on: 27 March 2003, 04:16 »
Thanx anywayz. I'll try and find support elsewhere where people have big ideas and aren't afriad of climbing out a rut and becoming known. I don't understand why so many people are afriad to try something that can change not only them but the world as well. Everyone wants to stay down and small. I am going to be someone. I am going bigger and higher. No disrespect to you guys. You ppl can countine to diss me if you want if thats how you get you kicks. Excuss me for having a dream.

I'm out.

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #21 on: 27 March 2003, 08:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by Datacide:
Thanx anywayz. I'll try and find support elsewhere where people have big ideas and aren't afriad of climbing out a rut and becoming known. I don't understand why so many people are afriad to try something that can change not only them but the world as well. Everyone wants to stay down and small. I am going to be someone. I am going bigger and higher. No disrespect to you guys. You ppl can countine to diss me if you want if thats how you get you kicks. Excuss me for having a dream.

I'm out.

You are a lunatic. You don't even know what you're talking about! You'd have to be a complete idiot to write a complete OS in ASM!

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
« Reply #22 on: 27 March 2003, 21:05 »
Well you guys drove away another newb. Good work. I think I understand why we have 2000 something members and about twenty members who actually post regularly.

cloudstrife

« Reply #23 on: 27 March 2003, 21:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Macman: LITERALLY a knucklehead:
Well you guys drove away another newb. Good work. I think I understand why we have 2000 something members and about twenty members who actually post regularly.

Two points for macman, you hit the nail on the head!

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #24 on: 27 March 2003, 13:52 »
quote:
Datacide: Thanx anywayz. I'll try and find support elsewhere where people have big ideas and aren't afriad of climbing out a rut and becoming known. I don't understand why so many people are afriad to try something that can change not only them but the world as well. Everyone wants to stay down and small. I am going to be someone. I am going bigger and higher. No disrespect to you guys. You ppl can countine to diss me if you want if thats how you get you kicks. Excuss me for having a dream.

What benefit would people have from your operating system? I think your forgetting what an operating system does. It has a certain purpose.

Like SmoothWall GPL has the purpose of being a good firewall+router, Red Hat Linux being a good desktop or server and Windows to piss people off and flowing cash to a certain software company because some people are forced to use it.

Think about that before you create your own OS. What purpose does it has? Who will use it? Will it be used at all? Will I be selling it under commercial terms, GPL, LGPL, BSD, or will I freely distribute it in ISO's under the terms of GPL or BSD? Or maybe both selling and ISO dowloads?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #25 on: 27 March 2003, 15:06 »
fair enough some of the things said to datacide might have been a little off (personally i don't think there's anything wrong with trying to write a whole OS in asm, except that it would be hard to modify, so you wouldn't get many willing participants) but on the other hand, there is no room on this site for fickle people who will take offence so easily. there has been no real flaming here, and still he has thrown all his toys out of the pram and wrongly told us we are all afraid and all that shit, who cares?

if he's going to be stuck up his own arse then fine, but people have a right to ridicule such stuck up people if they want. this is a free forum for people to say what they like.

personally i didn't mean to diss anybody here and i don't think i have, so if datacide decides that i am amongst the people who are afraid then fine for him, but don't expect me to lose any sleep.

for the record, i don't have the skills to help you datacide, but i support you in your project if you have a good reason for making a new OS. in my opinion wanting to make yourself famous is not a good reason. adding something that is not already there is and as a lot of people already helpfully pointed out (no matter what some people rudely say), this aim could be acheived much better by adding to an existing project in most cases.

making a name for yourself is not going to get my support as a reason for wasting other people's time who might commit their time to your project.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #26 on: 27 March 2003, 22:26 »
You want to make a new OS? Fine. Start a project in Sourceforge and perhaps you'll get some attention. That is if you want to keep it open source or "free" (as in freedom) and GPL'd.

If, on the other hand, you'd like to keep it commercial then you'd have to pay the people who'd be working with you.

Personally, I think that you're on the wrong path here. That's just me though.   ;)

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #27 on: 28 March 2003, 02:25 »
First off, it takes months to just write a decent BOOTLOADER. Second of all, if you were to write it in ASM, not only would it be hard to read, hard to modify, etc. code, it would also be limited in single proc for the most part (unless you really hack it up) and platform-dependent.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #28 on: 28 March 2003, 13:39 »
i agree with both of those comments and i think that if anybody else wants to come in here and take a pop at some people who are talking SENSE then those people can kindly take their aspirations of fame and FUCK RIGHT OFF.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Doogee

• VIP
  • Kudos: 109
    • http://m-db.info
« Reply #29 on: 29 March 2003, 21:59 »
flame flame flame !!!! Datacide is LITERALLY a MORON!!!!!!!!!111111111///////

I am an idiot  :D