Author Topic: Want 2 Help create new OS?  (Read 5153 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Want 2 Help create new OS?
« Reply #30 on: 29 March 2003, 17:28 »
Perfect Operating System is here www.linuxiso.org

No need for anything else.

"If it compiles, its good, if it boots, its perfect" -Linus Torvalds

ChakanTGM

• Kudos: 0
    • http://crackice.cjb.net
« Reply #31 on: 30 March 2003, 22:27 »
quote:
The Quirk:
You'd have to be a complete idiot to write a complete OS in ASM!

Guess these guys are idiots then, huh?

ASM programming is just one of the necessary steps in creating an operating system. An "entire" OS in C/C++ will most likely be a piece of shit that's unable to control any of the hardware in your computer.

As far as the so-called hacker who started the thread, I believe he is full of shit. But that's just my opinion. It's great to have goals, but they aren't any good if not based in reality. The suggestions you gave him about developing on current projects would probably be best for him if I thought he actually knew what the hell he was talking about.

He's a poser. Plain and simple.
crackice.cjb.net

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #32 on: 30 March 2003, 22:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by ChakanTGM:

Guess these guys are idiots then, huh?

ASM programming is just one of the necessary steps in creating an operating system. An "entire" OS in C/C++ will most likely be a piece of shit that's unable to control any of the hardware in your computer.

As far as the so-called hacker who started the thread, I believe he is full of shit. But that's just my opinion. It's great to have goals, but they aren't any good if not based in reality. The suggestions you gave him about developing on current projects would probably be best for him if I thought he actually knew what the hell he was talking about.

He's a poser. Plain and simple.

I didn't say you should not use ASM _at all_ when writing an operating system. It should be used on some tasks. BUT, writing a complete operating system in ASM will cause lots of headaches and is un-needed when we have very powerful computers able to pick up for the "slack" C leaves.

Remember when everything was written in ASM, and then people started using C instead? You remember why? Because ASM was a pain in the ass to develop with, was hard to read, and, jesus, it took so long to program using it, I can't belive they didn't make the transition earlier!

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #33 on: 1 April 2003, 02:55 »
The last thing we need is another operating system. We have Linux, and thats all we need, dont like, change it to how you would.

WHY NOT WRITE AN OPERATING SYSTEM IN COBOL

(hehehehehe)

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #34 on: 1 April 2003, 07:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by X11:
The last thing we need is another operating system. We have Linux, and thats all we need, dont like, change it to how you would.

WHY NOT WRITE AN OPERATING SYSTEM IN COBOL

(hehehehehe)

Fortran is the way to go....
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #35 on: 2 April 2003, 16:46 »
yeah, but it really does take a shitload of effort to devolop stuff like that. but what getting to me is this argument over asm, you don't write the whole think in asm, you write it out in C and make it portable, then use asm for each platform to give timecritical areas a boost.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #36 on: 2 April 2003, 19:15 »
ok, two things,
first of all, yes that's how you should write stuff, but that's cheating if we are talking about writing in asm, if you're an asm purist you think the whole thing should be written in asm, not C, but then in today's world, that is a dated and unhelpful approach in my opinion, which is to say i agree with you.

as for X11's comments about linux being all people need, i think that's disgraceful, and it is identical to the comments microsoft makes about windows. i am involved with Free and Open software for reasons of freedom of speech and freedom of choice as much as (or maybe more than) anything else, and i think it's pretty bad when somebody makes such a closed statement as that, especially with regard to Free software.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Datacide

« Reply #37 on: 3 April 2003, 05:16 »
Check out this forum: Click here.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #38 on: 3 April 2003, 05:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by Datacide:

and?

flap

• Kudos: 137
« Reply #39 on: 3 April 2003, 05:34 »
I'm sorry but datacide would not mean "suicidal data". It would mean "the killing of data".

Will this operating system have animated cursors built in? That's a good feature.
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #40 on: 3 April 2003, 06:27 »
Ha ha the guy in the link criticized us for being too technical!  That's a laugh, considering Datacide was asking for opinions about creating an operating system and a programming language, both of which are some of the most technically demanding tasks in computer science.  What jokers.

And we didn't "just want to criticize you," but c'mon!  Anyone who talks about creating an OS but confuses Macs with their operating system and talks about using qbasic (which as an interpreter language would be totally useless for creating an OS) deserves to be smacked back into reality, so to speak.  Furthermore datacide provided no technical information about how he was going to go about this, which adds to the suspicion that he has no idea what he's talking about.

Not to mention his email address is @msn.com

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #41 on: 3 April 2003, 09:20 »
quote:

Big man! Defcon! Wow! Bravo!

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #42 on: 3 April 2003, 19:44 »
quote:

No reason to become provocative Datacide. I agree that some of the posts in this thread were a bit harsh, but all in all I believe that most people made valid points.

I'm just going to repeat what I wrote in my previous post. If you want to start creating an OS from scratch, then you'll need ALL the help you can get. Such an attempt would require huge amounts of energy and resources. So, in order to get help just start a project on SourceForge, that is if you want to keep your project open.   ;)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #43 on: 3 April 2003, 21:08 »
datacide, you just went down in my estimations. are you so unstable you need to post a thread asking people to tell you you're great and then come back here and try to gloat about it?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #44 on: 4 April 2003, 12:23 »
Datacide: