Operating Systems > Not Quite Mainstream OSes

Free OS-X

(1/4) > >>

Kintaro:
You know what would be a good idea... an absoulutely Kick ass idea. If some kick ass developers made a Free MacOS like os, but based on *NIX that way it would be like MacOS X but fuly open source, use GNOME or KDE for the GUI.

smokey:

--- Quote from: Kintaro ---You know what would be a good idea... an absoulutely Kick ass idea. If some kick ass developers made a Free MacOS like os, but based on *NIX that way it would be like MacOS X but fuly open source, use GNOME or KDE for the GUI.
--- End quote ---

errm I must be missing the point. A *nix system modded to be like MacOS but running KDE or GNOME so you dont even know. What is the difference between running this and Redhat with KDE or GNOME?

choasforages:
ummm, darwin + gnu userlands + kde. if i had some ppc hardware, i would already be running that along with macosx

Calum:
firstly, mandrake linux is free and can run on a mac, and it is GNU/Linux. Secondly, MacOSX is MacOS-like and it is based on BSD Darwin.

Also, BeOS runs on a mac does it not? however it is not unix like, doesn't (as far as i know) act like MacOS and the company has fallen through. Still, i think that this is still an impressive list on this score.

Re: MaCOSX, is it free? or does it officially cost? what versions of macos are free and so on for if you were to buy a second hand mac and want to put a different macOS on it from the one it comes with? anybody know? (and did i ask this before? doh!)

choasforages:
by any chance can you compile your own kernel for macosx, and is it somewhat supported or not

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version