Author Topic: Any Novell users?  (Read 2973 times)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Any Novell users?
« Reply #15 on: 18 November 2002, 21:43 »
It's called Groupwise, not Groupware... and I can tell, because I use the programme every day at school :)
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 13:44 by Orethrius »

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Any Novell users?
« Reply #16 on: 18 November 2002, 21:46 »
Quote from: voidmain
What is "Novell on Xwindows" and "Novell on Windows"?  From what I can tell, not one person in this thread actually understands what Novell and NetWare actually is.

Novell is a company (like Microsoft is a company) that sells a file/print server operating system called NetWare (like Windows NT Server is a file/print server operating system). Novell developed NDS (which Microsoft copied and broke and called Active Directory just to try and put Novell out of business).

There are NetWare/NDS clients that you can install on Windows and Linux desktops so they can talk to Novell servers and participate in the directory (NDS).

When I said that the NetWare setup was Xwindows based on the newer versions I was referring to the actual NetWare installation on the server (there is no Windows and no Linux on the server, only NetWare which is it's own operating system). Novell actually owned the UNIX trademark for a short amount of time and I got the impression that they actually ditched their old OS and are using UNIX as a base OS now. But I didn't mess around with the new version enough to know for sure. I think NetWare sucks as much as Windows NT/2K/XP suck to be honest.

thank goodness! i was scared to say anything because i thought netware was its own operating system and everybody seemed to be talking about something else!
i just read in a book by R. X. Cringeley (who must be taken with many pinches of salt) that netware was developed from the ground up as a networking OS at a time when DOS was NOT trying to network at all. Also, he says netware could address 16MB of memory (if anybody actually had that much) compared with the 640k that DOS could address. Cringeley says netware took full advantage of the 286 as well, something no other OS tried to do.

I'm surprised to hear (since that's about all i know about netware) that you all think it sucks! also, i'm a little confused about how it works. Is it a server for local area networks, which requires proprietary client software? yes?   :confused:
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 13:45 by Orethrius »
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Any Novell users?
« Reply #17 on: 18 November 2002, 21:55 »
Quote from: Refalm
It's called Groupwise, not Groupware... and I can tell, because I use the programme every day at school :)

[embarrassment]You are absolutely right! I've been talking so much lately about Groupware and "Kroupware" that even though I was thinking Groupwise I typed Groupware, sorry about that. Guess  I should think a little harder before *I* type next time. :)  [/embarrassment]
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 13:46 by Orethrius »
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Any Novell users?
« Reply #18 on: 18 November 2002, 21:57 »
Hell guys, get a pen and write this in the history books. Void Main was wrong.  :D

It happens to the best of us....
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Any Novell users?
« Reply #19 on: 18 November 2002, 21:58 »
i must be great then, it happens to me all the time!  :D   :D   :D
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

pkd_lives

• Kudos: 0
Any Novell users?
« Reply #20 on: 18 November 2002, 23:42 »
It's not suprising most people get mixed up (including me) Novell had (have) this unerring tendancy to promote their company name so much that the product name gets lost in the small print.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

NovellDoug

Any Novell users?
« Reply #21 on: 26 December 2002, 11:20 »
Quote from: Calum
thank goodness! i was scared to say anything because i thought netware was its own operating system and everybody seemed to be talking about something else!
i just read in a book by R. X. Cringeley (who must be taken with many pinches of salt) that netware was developed from the ground up as a networking OS at a time when DOS was NOT trying to network at all. Also, he says netware could address 16MB of memory (if anybody actually had that much) compared with the 640k that DOS could address. Cringeley says netware took full advantage of the 286 as well, something no other OS tried to do.

I'm surprised to hear (since that's about all i know about netware) that you all think it sucks! also, i'm a little confused about how it works. Is it a server for local area networks, which requires proprietary client software? yes?    :confused:

Alright. I am a NetWare5 CNE and currently working on my CNE6 upgrade. I have been wrenching on Novell products since 2.2 - about 10 years now.
I run a 99.9% Novell based WAN for a school district. For the record from my POV, microsoft is the filth pig whore of our universe and Novell is the absolute pit fighter clawing up and out of the grave that microsoft put so many others in.

Before Novell, I spent 8 years troubleshooting Minicomputer boards running various Nix's. Far as Unix and Linux goes I am a rookie but time permitting am trying to find the time - I think Linux is the correct future. Now you know where I stand:

Novell products and NetWare which accounts for 40+% of all sales is the finest shit available for money for what it does. eDirectory, Novell's fully x.500 compliant ldap Directory is the finest bar none in the world. For such a small company thier technology is unrivaled in the areas of File, Print, Directory and Desktop management (ZenWorks). Except for having a client OS they have everything and more than microsoft.

NetWare is its own OS but boot a Linux box and a NetWare6 box side by side and they look identicle as the modules load even up to xfree86 loading.

Apache is a default option now in NW6 and Tomcat is an option. A web browser and a few small gadgets installed are all it takes to manage and access all resources under NetWare6 and yes Linux and some Unix's and all thier resources are natively controlled when integrated into a single eDirectory tree which has been tested with a billion objects.

microsoft tech and engineers cant do shit on Novell because its not easy. Anyone skilled on any Nix has no reason to complain about any complexity with Novell products. And Novell is kicking microsofts ass little by little turning profits every quarter. Its hush hush but Novell is tight with open source and Linux. Novell is anti-microsoft and therefore friendly.

Its not BSD but it runs like a bulletproof bitch and does require skill to maintain.
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 13:48 by Orethrius »
NovellDoug CNE
This is my Tree. There are many like it but this one is mine.
Take the RedPill

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
Any Novell users?
« Reply #22 on: 26 December 2002, 19:56 »
yeah, but our admins are so fucking stupid, they could not admin   a macintosh if their life depended on it/'*i do alot of unofficial work*/ like im sitting in my study hall, and one of the audio/videol/media center admin's come in and ask's to "burrow" me. so i walk out and to this class where they can't for the life of them get a tv to work. i merely walk of switch the cable from theoutput to the input, and click on the macintosh's panel and enable tv-out
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

cloudstrife

Any Novell users?
« Reply #23 on: 26 December 2002, 22:20 »
i have a laptop that i bought from my school - it runs xp home edition with the novell client (i also have freebsd on it, dont worry :) )  but it is pretty easy to work with.
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 13:48 by Orethrius »

NovellDoug

Any Novell users?
« Reply #24 on: 1 February 2003, 19:47 »
Quote from: choasforages
yeah, my school runs novell, and trys to claim its secure/*then agian, its a windows prob, the mac client is ok*/. any quick info on how to acsess a novell server under *nix

http://www.novellix.com/
http://www.caldera.com/products/edesktop/usersguide/appj.html
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 13:49 by Orethrius »
NovellDoug CNE
This is my Tree. There are many like it but this one is mine.
Take the RedPill

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Any Novell users?
« Reply #25 on: 13 February 2003, 14:00 »
Quote from: KernelPanic
Hell guys, get a pen and write this in the history books. Void Main was wrong.   :D  

It happens to the best of us....

he has been hanging around us for toooo long!
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 13:50 by Orethrius »