Miscellaneous > Programming & Networking

Hacking texts/books

<< < (2/5) > >>

KernelPanic:
Yeah there is a major identity crisis going on with hacking, cracking, hacker and cracker.

Neuro7:
Check out hackerslab.org

Neuro7

choasforages:
hmmm, why don't we just add "computer security" to the description of this forum, their no more hacking missnamed

maclaxguy:
Though many people have many different views on what a hacker is, and what a cracker is, here's what I've heard (by far) the most:  A hacker is someone who can program, knows the internet, and knows operating systems.  They generally use this knowledge for good, or personal experimentation.  A cracker is someone who uses that knowledge (or someone else's script [fucking script kiddies]) in a purposefully malicous manner.  They're also refered to as White-Hat, and Black-Hat hackers, respectfully.
That said, one of the all time best books for learning your stuff is "Maximum Security: A hackers guide to protecting your internet site and network".  It's easily over 800 pages long, so it'l take you a while.
I also suggest you look around on the web.  There are some great tuts out there.  The best way is also, if possible, to set up your own network and hack into your own machines.  That way, when your still a n00bie, and you make a mistake, your not logged.
I hope that helps,
maclaxguy

[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: maclaxguy ]

maclaxguy:

quote:
Although I suppose asking questions from the defender point of view would definitly be valid. IE:Im tierd of gettin rapped by these 31337 hackors in IRC. How do u avod this?   ;)  

--- End quote ---

Most "3l337 hax0rs" who flame a n00bie who is asking valid questions, are really dumb-asses who really have no idea what they're doing.  They're probably sitting on their WinTel machines with a ping-of-death prog that they downloaded.  A real hacker will almost always help you out with your questions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version