Author Topic: Unix menu program  (Read 2649 times)

Faust

• Kudos: 0
Unix menu program
« Reply #15 on: 2 April 2003, 19:28 »
^c and you'll be back at the prompt from a script and I *believe* that can be fixed in a C program... that said i program in Eiffel not C so I wouldnt know.
Anyway if your system is properly locked down with appropriate permissions (and no suid/exploitable programs) then your fine...

[debian_plug]ah the joys of an OS that sets /dev/dsp* (the sound mixers) to root access  only...  because really isnt giving users sound a security risk?   :D  [/debian_plug]
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Unix menu program
« Reply #16 on: 2 April 2003, 19:36 »
well even so, this is not really an issue since dropping to a prompt is actually one of the options on the menu! nobody should be giving ssh access to their system unless they are sure they correctly chmodded it, so it's moot either way in my opinion. but he's written it in C because he wants to, isn't that okay?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Faust

Unix menu program
« Reply #17 on: 2 April 2003, 19:40 »
Good point.
I appreciate that shell scripts are too boring to use if you have an alternative, just pointing out that they're no less secure.
Hey I made a program to brute force root 2 to about 500 or so decimal places of accuracy the other week and i could have just done that in maple so I already know that programming is fun...  
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Faust

Unix menu program
« Reply #18 on: 2 April 2003, 19:48 »
And yeah SSH access should only be allowed given correct file permissions (AND John vs /etc/shadow AND a recent version of SSH AND recent versions of all exxecutable programs...) so the point about whether it should be in c or scripts is moot...

EXCPET a c program could be made to crash and if the program was started as root then whoever crashes said program can get root... its pretty hard to crash a shell I believe (although I have seen a DOS window crash - but that was MS DOS which explains it.    )
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Unix menu program
« Reply #19 on: 2 April 2003, 20:03 »
well as i understand it, the script will be called from .bashrc or .bash_session or .login or whatever in the user's home dir (that's where i would have it called from anyway) so it should be running as the user who has logged in, and never as root.

Faust

Unix menu program
« Reply #20 on: 2 April 2003, 20:11 »
The script will... I suppose you can just put /usr/local/bin/menu_program_thingie in there too but  if the user controls it they can kill it off and get a shell too... there must be a workaround I guess... but hey like you said theres an option to get a shell anyway.

quote:
I made it because, when I get the wireless networking I will be hosting shell accounts to Melbourne Wireless in the near future.

BTW if Melbourne wireless network is like Canberras wireless network its run by linux geeks.  Why would linux geeks pay for shell acounts that restrict their fun when they can just use their own computers?  I mean the ability to have an extra link of anonyminity in the email chain I guess but its not like anyone out there actually secures their sendmail port so why bother?
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Faust

Unix menu program
« Reply #21 on: 2 April 2003, 20:12 »
Now if you made it for _fun_ *that* I can understand...
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Unix menu program
« Reply #22 on: 2 April 2003, 20:21 »
hmm, well i have a shell account at grex (that i hardly ever use) for the reason that i can ssh to it from putty in windows (when i am forced to use it), because windows sucks several cocks all at once. grex is shit though for emailing because they block most incoming mail for being in a nonstandard format or some guff. if i really could email from a shell account and feel secure that i would get replies to my email account, then i would use such a shell account.

also, what if there are a lof of XP heads on the network? actually they might not want a shell account either because they have XP and you know, can't see the point of having a command prompt because they are so used to the command prompt being totally useless. one other thing, remember that canberra and melbourne are completely different. i can't see it being the same sort of people using the wireless network in melbourne as in canberra, but then again, they still might all be linux people, who knows.

quote:
The script will... I suppose you can just put /usr/local/bin/menu_program_thingie in there too
oh yeah, i forgot we were making this as a program and not a script... well, still all it needs is another line added to the install script with 'chmod 011 /usr/bin/cmenu' and we're set. (that will work won't it?)

[ April 02, 2003: Message edited by: Calum: crusader for peace & freedom ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Unix menu program
« Reply #23 on: 3 April 2003, 15:25 »
hey, linux user? can you post a proper working link to your program please? thank you.

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Unix menu program
« Reply #24 on: 3 April 2003, 20:27 »
Sorry, netfirms is a prick.  I'll just post the code here.

Code: [Select]

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Unix menu program
« Reply #25 on: 5 April 2003, 13:20 »
th4x0rz very much.

Im currently posting from Windows .NET in Linux (vmware) with Mozilla.

Faust

Unix menu program
« Reply #26 on: 5 April 2003, 13:31 »
quote:
th4x0rz

I believe english is the primary modus operandi of communication in these forums X11.  Why are you talking like a 16 year old code kiddy?  Oh wait...
SPEAK ENGLISH!

edit : although on second thoughts I must say that your flagrant disregard for spelling leaves me in absolute awe at your technical superiority.

[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: Faust ]

Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Faust

Unix menu program
« Reply #27 on: 5 April 2003, 15:55 »
In short X11 please do not talk like senor "datacide" as your obviously more mature than he is.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Unix menu program
« Reply #28 on: 5 April 2003, 16:39 »
How about you come here, to my house, and SUCK MY WHITE ASS.

h4x0r
cr4x0r

ill talk how I want.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Unix menu program
« Reply #29 on: 5 April 2003, 16:55 »
you're typing, not talking...

d1xx0r|-|34d!  :D   :D   :D   :D