Author Topic: Home web server using DSL?  (Read 1855 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Home web server using DSL?
« Reply #15 on: 13 June 2004, 08:18 »
I understand where you are coming from. It makes sense. However, in a business, or any professional setting, these "users" cannot make any decisions about whay Operating System to use, or browsers, mail clients. And getting them to use it at home would be much easier to do if they used it at work. Most people who have computers at home, buy windows machines, and use MS office, and whatever other applications that their place of work does. If you get the companies to switch, the poeople will follow like the sheep they are. So going after once person, while it is nice, and does add another mark to the list, isn't going to do a whole lot in the long run. You need to get companies on board.

Of course, getting everyone to talk about Linux and OSS is a good thing. The more people know about it, the more people want to use it, and on and on. Too bad most of my freinds would rather jsut deal with Internet Explorer and Windows than try something else. Even when I show people a program like Mozilla or Firefox, and they like it, still, they do not care enough to use it. I would say that most people dont care. So, trying to go on a mission to convert people is, to me, a waste of time. You want Linux to take over, get the businesses to use it. The sheep will follow like they always have.

[ June 12, 2004: Message edited by: xyle_one ]

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #16 on: 13 June 2004, 08:43 »
For the most part, I agree with you there, Xyle.  I just see the inherent problem with that rationale as the contracts that apply to the businesses, but often not the employees.  To that end, I believe it's more effective to draw the end users away from Microsoft, and let those who are already in a legally binding contract deal with it as they will.  The "company" can run Microsoft products in name only with the actual employees utilizing other software, assuming the contract isn't fascist enough to present an overt assault on people's rights.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

pccarguy91

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #17 on: 13 June 2004, 10:32 »
First let me say thanx to the microsuck user that emailed me from nettica with the advice.

Now...

Just because I have a win box or two doesnt mean I need converted. I already realize the advantages of Linux, and like I said earlier, I currently use it. I just graduated from a two year tech school, and as a newbie in the IT field, I strive to become familiar with more than just one OS.

I said in my first post "I dont believe the ping is actually getting to my house." I also said "I can reach my ftp server from any pc in the house."[.B]  This isnt and never was a post about a problem with one of my win boxes.

It was a post about a dns problem, the fact that I could not reach my computer over a network (regardless of what OS it was running). And hey, imagine that, I decided to post it in the "programming and NETWORKING" forum.

P.S.

I drive a Chevy. Any of you Ford lovers out there wanna cry about it?
The more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing......

pccarguy91

« Reply #18 on: 13 June 2004, 10:35 »
lol...sorry about the bold tags. Don't drink and type.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #19 on: 13 June 2004, 13:12 »
As I said before in so many words, you should use Linux if feasible.  Other than that, I said that you should use software other than Microsoft's for your server needs.  Windows IIS would be all fine and dandy if it wouldn't cause some of the most unholy shit you will ever run across in your long career as a network technician.    I advocate FileZilla and Apache for Windows users - not necessarily because I want them to use Linux - but because I want them to see how much easier OSC/OSS/whatever you want to call it can make your life.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #20 on: 13 June 2004, 22:53 »
Actually, this might be a problem with Windows after all.  I remember trying to set up IIS/5.1 once.  I had the same problem as you.  But, Apache (still on Windows) seemed to work.  It's weird  :confused:
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #21 on: 15 June 2004, 13:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Candidate:
As I said before in so many words, you should use Linux if feasible.  Other than that, I said that you should use software other than Microsoft's for your server needs.  Windows IIS would be all fine and dandy if it wouldn't cause some of the most unholy shit you will ever run across in your long career as a network technician.    I advocate FileZilla and Apache for Windows users - not necessarily because I want them to use Linux - but because I want them to see how much easier OSC/OSS/whatever you want to call it can make your life.

Agreed  :D

And welcome to microsuck by the way  

pccarguy91- did you get this resolved?

pccarguy91

« Reply #22 on: 16 June 2004, 02:52 »
I havent had much time, but have made some progress.

I upgraded my dsl modem to the pro version.
(to set up port forwarding to my pc using the command line.)

I changed the port of my web service to 8000.
(in case 80 was blocked.)

I had a little luck reaching the legal ip address of my modem from outside my home network by ip address only. Then I changed something and that stopped working, couldnt figure out what was wrong, so i reset to default settings, and havent had time to work on it again.

I havent tried reaching my legal domain name (at the time the dns entries hadnt been distributed).

So for now I still believe it is an issue with my modem's configuration.....

grrfrog

• http://grrfrog.net
« Reply #23 on: 5 July 2004, 21:16 »
I had the same problem when I was using DSL. The problem turned out to be the DSL modem. I turned on port fwding as per instructions, but no joy. I kept getting the web access config page. What I had to do is set up the DSL in 'bridge mode', bypassing the modem altogether, and letting my linux box do the pppoe authentication and connecting.

I suggest turning off all firewall services and running Ethereal (http://www.ethereal.com/) packet sniffer to see if you see packets coming from outside the network.

Before any of this will work of course, check to see if the ip address of your dsl modem is the ip address that the DNS server is returning for your domain name. But you probably already did this step.

Good Luck, I'm new to this whole posting online thing, (kindof a do it myself my way type) but I'll try to check back here.