Author Topic: multiple IPs, dialup connection  (Read 1415 times)

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
multiple IPs, dialup connection
« on: 6 June 2003, 21:14 »
my situation:
I have a windows 2000 server machine being a gateway to the internet for my linux(RH9) machine. I have a dialup account, and ipconfig says it doesn't use dhcp. I was wondering how I might configure the router(for win2k, which i'm not expecting an answer for really) and the routes on the linux machine so that I can get 2 public IP addresses, 1 for each machine. any help would be appreciated, thank you.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #1 on: 6 June 2003, 15:22 »
For a start are you allowed 2 public routable IP's from your ISP?
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Stryker

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: 7 June 2003, 15:40 »
not sure, but hypothetically... if i was, what would i do?

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #3 on: 7 June 2003, 16:07 »
To be completely honest I don't know. I think the router would have to just passively forward packets rather that using NAT or any other packet magling process.
This sounds like a void main question though.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #4 on: 8 June 2003, 21:17 »
first... if its dialup i dont see how it doesnt use a DHCP server... you should really ask your ISP about that. If they dont use a DHCP server that means that you should have gotten the IP(s) from them and the gateway and DNS address so that you could configure your computer properly.

Can you actually connect to the internet with your win2000 box?

hmmm... for the addresses.... this is interesting. If you are getting two IPs why dont you just hook each computer to the phone li...... oh i get it!! you only have one modem? and two network cards.

Well... on the linux box you must make a route... with coincidentally the command 'route'.

You will have to add a route that says that to get to the internet it has to go through the win2000 machine.

To do this do "route add default gw <win2k IP>"

Hmmm... but there is still the problem of your public IP.... how the hell do you get it if they dont run a DHCP server??!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

On your win2k machine you will need to add a route which routes traffic from the internet to your linux box... in linux the command would be "route add -net <linux public IP> dev eth0"
<-- where eth0 is the NIC that connects to your linux box.

got all that?
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #5 on: 8 June 2003, 21:20 »
erm.... i'm not sure but you might have to set a route in win2k that says that the dialup device is a route to the internet.

Again... in linux that would be "route add default gw dev ppp0"

[ June 08, 2003: Message edited by: The Master of Reality / Bob ]

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

sime

• Kudos: 4
    • http://www.azuro.com
« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2003, 22:08 »
Hum,

bit confused why do you need live ip addresses they cost money!

Why not reserved ip addresses e.g. 192.168.0.X etc set statically with the default gateway of the Linux box set to the Windowz machine - The wan side of the dialup adapter will have a live address assigned by your ISP (and assuming that the modem is attached to the Windowz box) set default route of the Windowz box to be the dialup adapter.

Alternativley trash the Windowz box and put Smoothwall on the machine and do the job securely and safely. I'm assuming you have a hub / switch in there somewhere forming a little network?

Later
==================================================
If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.

Sime@04

Stryker

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2003, 02:37 »
I'm not really doing this anymore, but i'm still intrested in knowing how. Lets say for example that I have a MUD (for those who don't know, it's a small text game) running on my linux box. I would use the windows box (because it's dialup and i'm cheap and can't buy a better modem) to get onto the internet. If someone were to try to connect they'd be trying to access port X on this machine, and not on the linux one. If it had it's own the windows box should route all traffic addressed to the linux box to the linux box.

Or maybe I want to connect to a MUD but it only allows 1 player per ip address, and I have a friend over who also wants to play. It'd be no problem.

just curious, i'm sure it's possible. just dont know how.

flap

• Kudos: 137
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2003, 04:04 »
The simple answer is you can't. The number of IP addresses you can use is up to your ISP; it's not something you can 'configure' locally.
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Stryker

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2003, 05:05 »
Then suppose I called them up and asked them for it. They say yes. Then what? I can't simply make a gateway, as it'd have a local address.

sime

« Reply #10 on: 25 July 2003, 18:10 »
Ahaa Stryker things becoming clearer now :-0)

You can do this (you can do anything with Linux it's just figuring out HOW) it's just a question of how much money you want to throw at the problem, remember as a general rule as the complexity of a problem increases so does the cost.

If you give me a day or so I will stuff a link up here to what will hopefully be a proper reply rather than trying to do it within the confines of this here input box. The response will hook to my server and save FMS some bandwith etc, and with any luck you might even find it usefull  :D

Later

Sime@04

sime

« Reply #11 on: 26 July 2003, 18:11 »
Hi Stryker,

Ok it will take a bit longer, I'm halfway through a good answer but I am on 12 night shifts from tonight (oh Joy! no rest for us scumbag contractors) as soon as I can I will post a link to the info.

Later

Sime@04