Author Topic: Raymond: Cheap PCs will doom Microsoft  (Read 889 times)

lu666s

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.lumir.net/
I'm not in favor of senseless Microsoft bashing. I'm in favor of bashing Microsoft senseless.

Nerull

• http://www.HarmGroup.da.ru
Raymond: Cheap PCs will doom Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: 1 March 2002, 21:48 »
i've read this in a dutch Security Magazine that open-source developers will be chosen above M$.
Greets Nerull
When UNIX Geeks Have Sex: who | grep -i hottie | date | cd ~; uptime; unzip; head; touch; finger; mount; ramsize; gasp; yes; umount; sleep

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #2 on: 4 March 2002, 14:26 »
I do think that Microsoft will adapt and survivc though, they may not be a major player anymore, but i think they may become an adamant little OS/2 type creature, the software company that refused to lie down and die...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

mskarl

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2002, 13:26 »
FYI:  I went to the local computer store that had a cyrus 733 20g 128 m and linux loaded for $250.00  and I say about 5 other people taking the same box home.  Two of the guys said that they were going to load windows on it but still M$ isn't getting any money from them!!!!!   So it's already starting.
Big brother Microsoft sucks!!! (And my spelling is horrible)

omitsura

• http://netdiary.windows-sucks.com
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2002, 11:21 »
actually, it has been started a long time before.
if you were to go to russia, belarus, ukrane, kazakstan, china and did an inspection of how many ppl use legal version you would be amazed at increadeble tiny numbers!
in belarus and russia if you were to go shopping for cd's you would not be able to find any legit versions of anything!!!

it works as following
step1. one person from a programm in US
step2. ships it over
step3. the program is being copied infinitely
step4. those copies are sold

Easy enough?
  :cool:
best regards

Oleg M

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2002, 16:31 »
and in the meantime all of those people who think they are screwing M$ are STILL using windows, and don't know how to use anything else.
If a person has $3500 worth of bootlegged M$ software, M$ still win the war the moment that person pays a single penny for something. And most people will. How many people in Belarus, China et c, have got 100% non paid for setups? some, maybe a lot, but not all. M$ still gets SOME money from the deal, plus they get the fact that people are using their stuff, so "Microsoft" get's grafittied across peoples' subconsciouses as soon as they boot up, every day.
You can't buy that kind of advertising...

Onward the revolution!

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Brent

• http://none
« Reply #6 on: 2 April 2002, 03:37 »
Calum... Is your hatred really that "all consuming" ? or do you just really like the idea of being on a soap box?  I say......... The more bootleg (free) MS software that is loaded, the less money in Bill's pocket..One thing i have noticed about this forum.. paranoia is rampant!!
I know .. I know.. flaming material.. as if I give a shit.  Until positive action is carried out to actually IMPROVE linux, all the bitching about Microsoft in the world is not going to change anything.  By improve I mean make it user friendly to EVERYONE not just computer hobbyists. Unfortunatly, with open source, nice as it is for hobbyists probably never will be user friendly in that sense. Mostly because of a lack of continuity. Everyone trying to build a better mousetrap...Redmond Linux is about the closest anyone has came so far to offer usability to the average computer illiterate. Ive yet to meet anyone in the hard core linux denomination that likes Redmond Linux.  When are people going to get it through their heads that the average computer user is NOT willing to pour over user manuals.  Decide between a couple dozon of this and a couple dozon of that.  They want simplicity

iancom

« Reply #7 on: 2 April 2002, 04:08 »
...it would appear that in this case our average user's illiteracy is not confined to the mere subject of computers.

No, your 'average user' does not want to pour [sic] over manuals to get their work done... and they wouldn't necessarily need to using Linux, BSD, etc.

If a computer manufacturer were to provide a full system, including modem, printer, scanner etc. preconfigured with an alternate OS, the end-user would have no problems using it - no more than they do with MS operating systems... in fact, probably less since they're less likely to get corrupted or virus-infected.

What's stopping manufacturers from providing such a preconfigured system? The immaturity of alternative operating systems?

NO. It's Microsoft's licensing terms that make it prohibitively expensive for vendors who wish to provide a choice of systems loaded with Windows or another OS.

...and to address the other point, I stand by my previous statements on this board that software piracy is wrong, even if it is to the detriment of a company whom many hate. If you don't like the software, don't use it. That's all there is to it.

[ April 01, 2002: Message edited by: IanC ]

Brent

• http://none
« Reply #8 on: 2 April 2002, 06:05 »
IanC. Inspite of your feeble attempt at an insult, I tend to agree with your assessment of the situation.  When I first found this forum, I was not pissed off at windows, I was (and still am pissed off) at Microsofts business practices. I can express myself reasonably well, even though im not a college student and probably twice the age of 90% of the posters on here.
I read with much interest the articles and postings about Microsofts antics in and out of court.  I dont find much interest in reading about "xp crashed 10 times on me the first day" kind of crap. Its nonsense... Ive been running triple boot XP/2000pro/mandrake on one drive and dual boot win 98 and red hat 7 on another.  I have had more screen locks and problems with red hat than I ever had with any windows OS. My computer is on 24/7 and I have never ever had a crash or lockup with XP.  What ever some people are doing that crash their computer all the time is beyond me..
Perhaps I am illiterate compared to some people when it comes to computers.  I also dont have a university degree, Im not into programming, dont have a clue about the benifits (if any) of open source.  Im simply a lowly mortician with 2 years of dedicated college.  Im a terrible speller, always have been.  Be that as it may, I do believe that the average user requires an OS with the user friendlyness of windows xp.  You are right in saying that in the future, it doesnt have to be linux or any other developing OS that will prevail after the eventual demise of microsoft.  Who knows what we would end up with.  anyway, I will keep expressing my opinions and you can flame me all you like.  Doesnt prove you are any brighter than I, just that we dissagree on some things.. I certainly dont take it personally