Author Topic: Kdevelop  (Read 1880 times)

slvadcjelli42

• Kudos: 0
Kdevelop
« Reply #15 on: 28 September 2003, 21:40 »
hey, i've had an similar problem (stupid of me, because I went and posted my question before reading this    ) Anyway, I was trying to use gcc to compile a hello world style c++ program and it gave me a whole ton of crap about cout and iostream and stuff like that... but then I saw this thread and noticed c++ (as a program)... "whatis" returns the same description for c++, gcc, g++ and cc and yet "gcc" could not compile my program while "c++" could. Any ideas on that? How different are these programs, anyway? Oh, and --version returns the same values for each one, and that stuff about std:: and using namespace std makes no difference for me.   :confused:

flap

• Kudos: 137
Kdevelop
« Reply #16 on: 28 September 2003, 22:10 »
gcc is the C compiler, g++ is the C++ compiler. Simple as that.
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

slvadcjelli42

Kdevelop
« Reply #17 on: 29 September 2003, 00:27 »
$ whatis gcc
gcc (1)              - GNU project C and C++ compiler

I guess it was the "and C++" part that threw me off, eh?   ;)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Kdevelop
« Reply #18 on: 29 September 2003, 03:06 »
it stands for GNU Compiler Collection.

as i remember, Stallman took a while on one release of gcc (then it stood for GNU C Compiler) and so Cygnus,who wanted their bugfixes implemented asap took the initiative and forked it, releasing egcs instead (extended gnu compiler something or other) which made for a couple of incompatible GPL compilers and luckily, both parties worked it out quick smart and included the best of both in what is now the new gcc releases.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

iamkingbrad

• http://users.bigpond.net.au/iamkingbrad/
Kdevelop
« Reply #19 on: 30 September 2003, 15:17 »
Well I may be a retard, but it seems to me that the problems raised in this topic should have been dealt with in the first day of learning C++ (or first month, depending how lazy you are). I'm not trying to say that I'm better than anyone else, because I myself am a rather novice programmer (it's amazing how much time I can waste looking at a screen).

You need to start from the start, basically. It appears that you're jumping in without reading through the basics.. you usually need to read to understand concepts. This isn't always the case, but it appears to be in this/these circumstance/s. Use help from others as a last resort, and you'll end up learning a lot more than with just asking people questions straight off the bat.

End of story: I'm an idiot.
STOP WHINING.

slvadcjelli42

Kdevelop
« Reply #20 on: 1 October 2003, 03:36 »
well, if you're talking to me, I have been reading; at least, I figured the man pages and whatis entries would be accurate in this case. Along with a (completely "Windows-centered") textbook for class. The windows vs. linux part is the main thing throwing me off, I simply don't know how much is OS specific. Seems to me I'd have some trouble figuring out the problem on my own since gcc seemed to be the standard c/c++ compiler for linux (I didn't know of the program "c++") and it was having major trouble with what seemed to be a pretty standard piece of code. What basics do you think I've missed? I can see why you think I asked "straight off the bat," though, with my last post said as it was. I do try to avoid that.      

Edit: I definitely agree with what Faust says about using a "plain vanilla" editor for code. That just seems like the best way to learn, anyway.

[ September 30, 2003: Message edited by: Dirk Gently ]

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Kdevelop
« Reply #21 on: 30 October 2003, 04:20 »
itm