Author Topic: Firewall for Windows?  (Read 2957 times)

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
Firewall for Windows?
« Reply #15 on: 20 April 2003, 13:03 »
I'd feel a lot safer with windows if I used an external firewall. Such as a router, or a gateway. I'd set up another linux computer and allow it to be a gateway. And use ipchains or iptables on the linux machine.

as for the bios thing, i found a good way of clearing it is to run your feet on the ground a bunch and touch the motherboard. repeat several times. Your computer will probably never turn on again, but the password will be gone  
- dont do that

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
Firewall for Windows?
« Reply #16 on: 23 April 2003, 08:30 »
my linksys router didnt stop the Dos attack on me sygate did  :D
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me

X123

• Kudos: 0
    • http://z14592.cjb.net
Firewall for Windows?
« Reply #17 on: 23 April 2003, 12:37 »
Zone alarm is a good firewall. Download the trial of the pro version and get a registration code off kazaa-lite or off a warez site.

DJ

• http://mypage.iu.edu/~dpjackso
Firewall for Windows?
« Reply #18 on: 23 April 2003, 20:35 »
Smoothwall and IPCop both irritated me. I couldn't get either of them to work. I would just use RH but my old box has onboard video and it isn't supported and I need a way (graphic) to be able to edit rules and set port forwarding and block my roomies when they don't pay me for bills etc  :D

Dj

[ April 23, 2003: Message edited by: Engineer ]

=)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Firewall for Windows?
« Reply #19 on: 23 April 2003, 22:05 »
i use zonealarm and kerio as a matter of course on the rare occasions i have to use windows. i have no idea how secure they are though. each one catches access attempts that the other totally misses, so how much stuff gets past both of them i wonder?

also, both are totally cost free for personal use.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

theangelofdeath69

• http://www.kaltemartech.com/
Firewall for Windows?
« Reply #20 on: 28 April 2003, 14:33 »
Actually, I've noticed that ZoneAlarm decreases my bandwidth by around HALF and chews through 40% of CPU when connected.

And, if only that BIOS was an Award.  You know that pretty much any Award BIOS accepts, get this, "award_sw" as a password?
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!