Miscellaneous > Intellectual Property & Law

Interesting article on MP3 sharing, RIAA, etc.

<< < (2/5) > >>

flap:

quote:Originally posted by jeffberg: Mac Capitalist:

I don't see how this article makes it somehow OK to steal music.  All it says is that people want to buy single songs instead of whole albums.  Cough iTune cough BuyMusic.com.  The record industry shot themselves in the foot, but that doesn't make it OK to steal music.  Thats like saying My neighbor shot himself in the foot, literally.  He's an artist, sells art for a living.  I'm gonna go into his computer and "share" his scanned in JPEG's with the world.  Doesn't sound like a cool thing to do does it?
--- End quote ---

cough cough cough cretin cough.

Laukev7:

quote: cough cough cough cretin cough.
--- End quote ---

I think most of us expected you to turn up at that point, flap, but was this really necessary?

bwid_s_01:
Fuck the RIAA. Fuck the MPAA. Fuck Microsoft. Fuck DRM. Fuck Macrovision. Fuck CSS!

When will these retards who come up with these protection/lawsuit/digital rights ideas get it through their heads that THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO music/video/software PIRACY!!! Every technology for anti-piracy will ALWAYS be countered by an anti-anti-piracy technology *cough* Macrovision *cough* Micro$hit activation *cough* CSS. All of those technologies and anti piracy measures got fucked. The question will NEVER be IF an antipiracy technology will be cracked but WHEN.

About the lawsuits: the only thing that they will bring about is an eventual boycott by music/video/software consumers. For example if there is ever some way for me to not be able to copy/re-encode/rearrange the contents of CDs and DVDs then I and tons of other people just won't buy them at all. I dont really support piracy but I am dead serious about consumer rights. As a DVD fan, I get a hell of a lot pissed off everytime I have to descramble, deCSS, etc. a dvd THAT I PAID FOR AN BOUGHT just to take it with me on the road on my laptop which has no dvd drive. That's just one example.
I do think that pay-per-song-download is a great idea. However, as far as I'm concerned I will never ever ever pay a cent for, or even visit a site that ONLY supports WMA, IE, and Windows. Fuck that. Also, if I'm gonna pay for downloading songs or movies, then I'll only do it if I get them either uncompressed or losslessly compressed, or maybe compressed but with high quality files. Not 128Kbps shit.

THEY SHOULD GET IT THROUGH THEIR HEADS - the ONLY way to stop piracy is to get the public to WANT not to pirate. And the only way to do that is to start selling music, videos, and software for CHEAP. Theyre gonna say "but then we'll go poor". I don't agree. I think if CDs and DVDs start going for really cheap prices then not only will people who pirate decide to pay for the stuff, but people who never buy OR pirate will buy the stuff. Plus they'll save tons of money if they don't bother with their anti-piracy encryption technologies.

billy_gates:

quote:Originally posted by bwid_s_01:
As a DVD fan, I get a hell of a lot pissed off everytime I have to descramble, deCSS, etc. a dvd THAT I PAID FOR AN BOUGHT just to take it with me on the road on my laptop which has no dvd drive. That's just one example.
--- End quote ---

Why do you get a hell of a lot pissed off when you have to deCSS a dvd.  First off, its a piece of cake. Check the decode CSS check box on your DVD descrambler and its done.  Second, you bought the DVD knowing full well that is was CSSed and Macrovisioned, so I don't see what you have to complain about.

Faust:
Fuck cascading style sheets?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version