Author Topic: Now the Copyright Office is getting into it.  (Read 1001 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Now the Copyright Office is getting into it.
« on: 3 September 2004, 14:40 »
Zdnet Story

quote:
excerpt
The U.S. Copyright Office has drafted a new version of the Induce Act that it believes will ban networks like Kazaa and Morpheus while not putting hardware such as portable hard drives and MP3 players on the wrong side of the law.

It says anyone who "intentionally induces" copyright violations can be found liable, with "induce" defined as one or more "affirmative, overt acts that are reasonably expected to cause or persuade another person or persons" to violate copyright law.

Another section suggests that Internet providers and technology companies must take all "reasonably available corrective measures" to prevent piracy.

Will Rodger, director of public policy at the Computer and Communications Industry Association, said the Copyright Office's draft was objectionable because it would effectively regulate computer hardware and software.

"First it was the Hollings bill, then Induce, now the Copyright Office's bill. They look different, but they all revolve around the same thing: Giving content (providers) veto power over all new technology," Rodger said. "Who decided that holders of government-granted monopolies should determine the future of high tech? I don't remember reading that memo."

In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

TB

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #1 on: 2 October 2004, 01:37 »
Wasn't this new version of the Induce act also going to overturn the betamax decision??? I seem to recall downhillbattle.org made a big fuss over it.

[ October 01, 2004: Message edited by: TB ]

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #2 on: 4 October 2004, 04:57 »
Yes.  This whole bill is about removing fair use rights.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

TB

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: 4 October 2004, 22:33 »
......not to mention putting a serious damper on technological innovation. This is the beginning of a disturbing trend. Instead of coprorations being forced to adapt their business models to new technologies (or face bankruptcy), corporations are now being given free reign to maintain the status quo.

Let's just hope that this amazing lack of foresight doesn't creep its way into energy policy (/sarcasm).