Author Topic: What's in a name? Not Palladium  (Read 2379 times)

jasonlane

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.root10.net
What's in a name? Not Palladium
« Reply #15 on: 16 February 2003, 22:35 »
I thought that TCPA was based on open source model anyways? MS like people to think that the TCPA is a Microshit idea /drive, blah, blah when infact it is nothing of the sort.

Yes Palladium (or whatever they now call it) is very, very, very, evil. PalladiShit is not the OS in itself though, it a set functionality that extends the OS and as far as I can tell you will be able to run your Windoze 2003 (or what ever name there gona call it) in PalladiShit mode or not. Whatever.

I reckon that whole things doomed to failure, I mean why change the name of something that much, what are they trying to hide? Hopefully this is going to be the nail in the coffin for Microshaft. OK here we have the most biggoted company in the IT sphere saying that the have a product (that probably isn't even coded yet) that is going to stop all security breaches that are common today (if you use Microshit that is).  So what happens when you still get all the same problems even when you use Palladishit???

People finally realize that they have been duped and Bill G is lynched by an angry mob of mediocre Microshaft 'users'.
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

solo

• Kudos: 1
    • http://www.komodolinux.org/
« Reply #16 on: 18 February 2003, 21:05 »
Heres what I sent on that comments/question page:

I have read arguments for and against TCPA and my current opinion is that I wouldn't mind it if I could turn it off. I do not wish to have these features but it doesnt look like THAT bad of an idea.

However as many of the arguments say, this does enable Microsoft to introduce digital rights management manuevers, which I am completely against. I will never buy, as will anybody i know, a Palladium based PC because I do not trust Microsoft to follow through with some of their promises, like making the Palladium platform open, and offering a way to turn off Palladium features.

The reason I don't find TCPA important in my life is because I am as secure as I need to be right now. I run Slackware Linux 8.1 and have absolutely no concern about getting a virus or being hacked by malicious users. For Windows I can understand this is important because Microsoft doesn't know how to make secure software.

I would not be in favor nor be against purchasing a TCPA only enabled computer (that is one without Palladium or another DRM platform) provided that turning it off is easy and turning it off turns EVERYTHING off.

The only thing that concerns me about TCPA is the fact that it makes Microsoft's road to condemning my freedom easier.

/////////////////////////////

hopefully MS will be stupid and they will make Palladium dependent on the TCPA chip, so that I can turn off the TCPA chip and Palladium wont work. Not likely tho, they will probably make an independant chip that cant be turned off and is embedded into the processor and it monitors packets going through the network card and everything, so that using any OS will still be under Microsofts grip.

[edit: im speaking of the hardware part of palladium]

[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Solo ]

Komodoware, moving Linux to your desktop.
http://www.komodoware.com/

Tattooed

« Reply #17 on: 2 March 2003, 05:56 »
Hi!
It seems that some IBM laptops already have TCPA hardware in them.  These laptops have beem on sale since 1999.

Tattooed

« Reply #18 on: 2 March 2003, 06:03 »
Hopefully nobody will buy a TCPA computer. Alot of people have been very p**sed off about TCPA. It will be very intresting to see how many people buy TCPA computers.  Rememeber the P3 serial number?  people hated that! so hopefully people will do the same with TCPA.  TCPA would give evil M$ to much power  :eek:    Even tho TCPA has caused quite alot of out rage- the people behide it are sill trying go ahead with it.  Only the people can stop it.

Zyglow

« Reply #19 on: 5 March 2003, 01:34 »
quote:
Only the people can stop it.  

Don't believe the hype.  M$ doesn't listen to their users, let alone anyone that's an open source advocate.

devlkore

• http://www.sparktasty.tk/
« Reply #20 on: 11 March 2003, 19:20 »
"only the people can stop it"

Yes, you're right, it's just a shame that people are idiots, with about as much of a care about thsi kind of STufF as I do for the pen I'm looking at now.

Think about how many injustices could've been stopped by "the pople", from small things like the death of the Sega Saturn, with it's superior technology it still managed to die at the hands of the Playstation. Big things like 3rd World debt, war, peace, you name it.

People will not give up Windows based on Microsoft's evilness, so why would they give it up for a simple privacy invasion.

Personally, I've used BeOS and it's blatantly superior to Windows in almost everyway (if not, all), so why are we still using Windows?
 Just so you know, as mentioned in my first thread, I have to use windows, GRR!
sono sain wa nihongo desu

mattymanx

« Reply #21 on: 13 March 2003, 08:49 »
Figures M$ would come up with something that controlling.

I wonder if this is how the Borg started out???

luckyp3616

• Kudos: 106
Re: What's in a name? Not Palladium
« Reply #22 on: 22 June 2005, 15:59 »
I am using Windoughs right now... but when palladium rolls around, I will use linux, even if I have to install a new processor. Copy protections keep me from formatting HD, right? well I will violate that DMCA and CBDTPA... as I am 12, my mom said CBDTPA is unconstitutional and it won't fly. I Will say I was trying to install linux then palladidumb reported me. That is retarted. If I have to circumvent something I am welcome to give instructions. KILL THE DMCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Two years... (literally), and my account is still on... THANK YOU!

I as of somewhere in 2006, I am now officially Windows-free. My sister got her own computer. (Thank God!) and now you will never see windows on my computer(s) again, at least my custom build ones!

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
Re: What's in a name? Not Palladium
« Reply #23 on: 23 June 2005, 20:49 »
Why did you necro a 2 year old Zombie thread? :confused:
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)