Author Topic: Poll: Music Sharing or Stealing  (Read 7943 times)

flap

• Kudos: 137
Poll: Music Sharing or Stealing
« Reply #150 on: 19 June 2003, 03:17 »
quote:
This is ridiculous. How about the ratings? If a song is more appreciated, it should have a higher value.

Let me re-phrase that: an artist shouldn't be legally entitled to payment proportional to the number of copies of their work that are made. In reality, a system whereby people are asked to contribute to their favourite artist is likely to pay out more money to the artists who have more listeners. However, some artists might produce music that appeals to large numbers of people but not so much that they will all be willing to contribute a great deal of, or any, money to the artist.

Obviously under the current system the artists who earn the most are the talentless ones who make crap without expending any effort.
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Poll: Music Sharing or Stealing
« Reply #151 on: 19 June 2003, 03:59 »
quote:
an artist shouldn't be legally entitled to payment proportional to the number of copies of their work that are made.

I have already debunked that myth. I have explained that this is false because the number of songs you can produce before people stop buying is limited.

quote:
However, some artists might produce music that appeals to large numbers of people but not so much that they will all be willing to contribute a great deal of, or any, money to the artist.

That's why I said ratings. We should consider not only the number of people, but alse the ratings (ie. 1 to 5 stars).

quote:
Obviously under the current system the artists who earn the most are the talentless ones who make crap without expending any effort.

And I see no reason for this to change if every artiste is paid equally.