Author Topic: Does this make me a criminal?  (Read 4034 times)

AmericanBastard

• Kudos: 33
    • http://none
Does this make me a criminal?
« Reply #60 on: 4 November 2003, 16:27 »
By the way...you don't have to watch what you say around me...I am far fom innocent and I could care less here...being a cop is a job I do, not who I am...I am sworn to protect my community, not yours  :D
ummmmmmmmmmm...idunno

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Does this make me a criminal?
« Reply #61 on: 5 November 2003, 02:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by Stryker:

I wouldn't wait. I know it could take months, or even years, to get it free. And I know there are enough people willing to pay that it'd be freely available soon anyways. Pretty much every song is freely available already through kazaa and other such p2p networks. They still make a nice profit. The only drawback of setting a limit would be that some people would wait until that limit is reached, lots of people wouldn't wait though... they'd still go out and buy it.

The only way I can think of to implement such a system and addressing those drawbacks would be that the producer makes a one-time sale of his rights to the article directly to the public. Basically, he would set up an expo, a bit like a painter sells his paintings, but he would demo his songs instead. The whole assembly would negociate a price with the artiste, where both would have the choice to accept or decline the offers. Once the song is sold, the costs would be split up among the people in the assembly. This way, no one would be able to 'steal' the artiste's art, since it won't be available until he sells it. Thus, the artiste gets a reasonable, reliable source of revenue, without being screwed up by corporations, and the public will be free to do whatever they want with the works, including distributing the music for a fee to reimburse what he paid for, without being screwed up by corporations. Also, the artist can still make more money if it's more popular with the public, because since both the artiste and the public can negociate, then the offer and demand rules can apply.