Author Topic: Fav distro  (Read 4426 times)

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Re: Fav distro
« Reply #30 on: 14 March 2005, 10:13 »
Definitely Slack.

has anyone else tried evil entity.... i found it to be an extremely entertaining distro....

I have that as well. Of course, its "goth" theme didn't do a thing for me, so I Changed It. :D. Added Enlightenment to Slack with the same theme, so that you can't tell 'em apart from looking at them.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #31 on: 14 March 2005, 23:06 »
Quote from: BaDDaSS
Does nobody use Ubuntu?

Me, on test machines I have set up at school.  Many of the computers open for such testing are old p2's with 128MB RAM.  Ubuntu runs fine on them (much better on 192+, though, good for whenever I find a stick around).

It's terrific.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

greatscot

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #32 on: 15 March 2005, 11:55 »
Quote from: bedouin
Debian, because apt-get is superior to RPM hell.
You're comparing apt-get to RPM?!? You don't even know what you're doing. That's like comparing an apple to a toaster. A proper comparison would be apt-get to yum or apt-get to apt for RPM.

apt-get gets software, RPM installs software. RPM has nothing to do with getting the software or resolving its dependencies, that's the job of yum or apt for RPM.

You aren't even comparing the proper apps, which proves you dont know what you're talking about.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2005, 12:01 by greatscot »

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #33 on: 15 March 2005, 12:04 »
Quote from: greatscot
You're comparing apt-get to RPM?!? You don't even know what you're doing. That's like comparing an apple to a toaster. A proper comparison would be apt-get to yum or apt-get to apt for RPM.

apt-get gets software, RPM installs software. RPM has nothing to do with getting the software or resolving its dependencies, that's the job of yum or apt for RPM.

You aren't even comparing the proper apps, which proves you dont know what you're talking about.

Seconded.

---

Slackware is pretty cool, its quick to install, but then Fedora Core 3 installed in just over 15 minutes onto my laptop over the network.

I run Fedora Core 3 on my laptop, Slackware Linux on my little monitoring box in the corner.

On my main server I run Trustix Secure Linux, and as far as im concerned it kicks royal arse. I was going to run OpenBSD but it kept on crashing over and over, and the mailinglist decided it was my hardware, which has run for 4 or 5 years with Linux, stable.

I might try OpenBSD still on another machine, it would be handy to learn.

FreeBSD is pretty uber as well.

I need to try debain one day.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #34 on: 16 March 2005, 09:45 »
Quote from: greatscot
You're comparing apt-get to RPM?!?[...] That's like comparing an apple to a toaster.

Modded 5: Funny.
« Last Edit: 16 March 2005, 09:45 by Orethrius »

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

dot.this

• Kudos: 0
Because Mac OS made me lazy.
« Reply #35 on: 1 April 2005, 05:50 »
SimplyMEPIS.  It's perfect for old Mac users like me. It even has a black arrow cursor by default. I'd also recommend it for people fed up with Winduhs who are looking for an easy alternative. I use it on an old ThinkPad-- it's like a poor man's iBook.

Cutting-edge apps (pre-configured, too!), runs great on old hardware, it's bootable from CD with automatic hardware detection, installs easily to HD, reiserFS support-- the list goes on. It uses Synaptic for package management.

Here's a link to a nice review, that mentions some of its best features.

SimplyMEPIS is Debian-based, free and open source. You can order the disk from the link at the top, or go to budgetlinuxcds.com and save a few bucks. There's also a ProMEPIS which is more of a developer's distro. SimplyMEPIS is the desktop version.
This APT has Super Cow Powers.