Author Topic: Longhorn could be tough sell for Microsoft  (Read 1974 times)

mc0282

• Kudos: 0
Longhorn could be tough sell for Microsoft
« on: 31 March 2005, 01:00 »
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5645841.html

heh, i wonder why ?   maybe because customer  are tired of  upgrading all the time... and tire of this damn OS forcing users  to be upgrading every time Microsoft has a hard on for new Windows.
huh, what?

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Re: Longhorn could be tough sell for Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2005, 01:16 »
Here are Microsoft's Longhorn hardware recommendations:

Desktop CPU: 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor with HyperThreading Technology 530 (or higher) or 3 GHz Intel Xeon processor with 2 MB L2 cache, or AMD Athlon 64, Sempron, or Opteron 100, 200, or 800 processor, single or dual-core versions.

Mobile CPU: 1.86 GHz Intel Pentium M processor 750 (or higher), or AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology, Mobile Sempron, or Mobile Athlon 64 processor.

RAM: 512 MB of RAM or more, all platforms.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_preview_2005.asp

I don't need the ZDnet article.  I can get the proof right from MS's biggest fan.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2005, 01:30 »
That will be a hard sell, JimmyJames told me nearly a year ago to go and buy more RAM to run Linxu so I told him to FUCK OFF and I say the same to Microsoft, Fuck upgrading my PC just to run a shitty OS!

Most people I know who aren't computer nerds have a <1GHz processor and <256MB of RAM, I can't see them bothering to upgrade either. For the most part the hardware we use now is more than 5 times as powerfull as it needs to be for the purposes most people use it for. Faster computers are a good thing but people should be given a choice.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

mc0282

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2005, 06:58 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
That will be a hard sell, JimmyJames told me nearly a year ago to go and buy more RAM to run Linxu so I told him to FUCK OFF and I say the same to Microsoft, Fuck upgrading my PC just to run a shitty OS!

Most people I know who aren't computer nerds have a <1GHz processor and <256MB of RAM, I can't see them bothering to upgrade either. For the most part the hardware we use now is more than 5 times as powerfull as it needs to be for the purposes most people use it for. Faster computers are a good thing but people should be given a choice.

I agree, but must companies want us to shell out money so they could stay in business so they could keep driving there  top of  line latest benz.  Only thing i dont mine chaning are the video cards but everything else is pointless  4.0ghz very soon is going to pop out,   wtf  a typical user is going to do with all the processing power ?

Windows XP should be on sale for another 4  years then  maybe another release...
huh, what?

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2005, 07:26 »
Simple, an extra 3 FPS at Countor-Strike!
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Shiver

• Kudos: 61
« Reply #5 on: 3 April 2005, 20:17 »
The system requirements are ridiculous. Like MS software isn't already bloated enough, they obviously need to add some more. What is it? 3D graphics in the desktop? Pixel shader enhanced version of Clippy popping up to "help" your work up in Word?

Every time the hardware manufacturers make improvements, MS negates that all by wasting system resources to useless crap. For some reason, I doubt there's much more to see besides that. Except features stolen from other software marketed as new revolutionary innovations.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #6 on: 3 April 2005, 20:43 »
Remember Windows 95? Windows 95 was better than Windows 3.1, had more features and a rediculously high system requirement set.
Back then, there was an operating system that was better, faster, easier to use, with more features and with lower system requirements compared to Windows 95.
Yes, you guessed right: BeOS. And there was the Macintosh too, of course.

But, people bought Windows 95. Why?
Because Compaq, Packerd Bell, etc. pre-installed Windows 95. Everyone learned how to operate that system, and people all over the world got very much used to it.
This was Microsoft's doing, because they left the computer builders with a choice: either sell bundled only with Windows or lose our support contracts.

And with American law that gives the big shots of the corperate world absolute freedom, nothing was done about this act of criminalism.

Although nowdays, Linux is a better and cheaper choice, and is backed by companies such as IBM and Novell, we can only hope that the computer builders will make the sensible choice.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 3 April 2005, 22:42 »
Most of the people I know who aren't computer geeks are happy with their hardware. I think the minimum requirements even for most modern Linux distros are far too high. Yes I know you can run a modern Linux distro on 16MB of RAM if you know what you're doing. But most people don't know what they're doing so the go for Fedora, Mandrake, Linspire etc. and use the default configurations.

But I don't really believe this, why the fuck would anyone bother to buy a new PC just to run Longhorn?

I think most software won't require longhorn anyway, as most 3rd party software will run on Windows 2000 nowadays. If anything Longhorn might just encourage software developers to require XP and thus boost XP sales.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2005, 14:13 »
Nowadays, companies like HP and Dell don
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2005, 21:38 »
Those companies have ver lucretive deals with Microsoft, if Dell suddenly stopped selling PCs with Windows OEM install then people would just buy from one of their competitors. What else do you think the consumers would do, buy a blank PC and install Linux/BSD/BeOS on it or go somewhere else and buy one with Windows?