Author Topic: Accessing NTFS drives in Linux  (Read 2510 times)

pulsechild

• Kudos: 10
Accessing NTFS drives in Linux
« on: 17 February 2005, 21:35 »
Is it possible? Does anyone know of a software that I could use to access the drive?

I'm looking at going 100% Linux and dropping my dual-boot between Win and Lin. I have a drive in my computer with all of my files (music, videos, pictures, etc.) but it is NTFS. It was a stupid move to make by formatting it NTFS but at the time, I needed to move files and Windows won't even let you format HD's as FAT32. I doubt a SAFE converter exists that would put my drive back to FAT32 (or EXT2/3) so that Linux could get to it.

Please help me out. Or be brutally honest and tell me what a dumbass I am for making that drive virtually unaccessable except for in Win.

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
Re: Accessing NTFS drives in Linux
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2005, 21:42 »
See this.  I know read access works fine; writing may be a different story, though you don't care about that.  Alternatively you could find a way to access ext2 from Windows, and copy everything from there.  Whatever works.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2005, 00:31 »
basically, because the specifications for NTFS are private, there's only reverse engineered support under linux for it, this means experimental and unstable. the specifications for several other journaling filesystems are available (reiserfs, 3rd extended and XFS spring to mind) but microsoft have chosen not to add support for these filesystems in windows, meaning an impasse for those trying to copy files from one journaling filesystem to another, if one of them's NTFS.

the product linked to by bedouin seems to me to promise the impossible, transparent access for reading and writing to NTFS filesystems under linux. my opinions about this are as follows: if there were enough information available to make this possible, the wider community of open source developers would have implemented it as a normal GPL piece of software by now, i find it hard to believe that a software company can hire a limited number of developers on a salary and successfully come up with something that a world full of programmers, who are doing it for the love of it, have been unable to do for years.

My advice (and i'm no expert, but this is what i would do): either
a) back everything up onto CDs or DVDs, then wipe the whole drive and repartition properly
or
b) get your machine booted into windows, copy all the stuff from an ntfs partition onto a fat32 one then reboot to linux and copy it all out onto your ext3/reiserfs partition, this second one's less good because you need a fat32 partition, and it also doesn't involve you having any backups in case something goes wrong, which it tends to do if you haven't got any backups.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2005, 05:40 »
So you're going to tell me that I'm not accessing my three NTFS partitions through Slackware right now?  Ingenious, I say.  If not direly incorrect.  Those fellows have done an awful lot to stabilise NTFS-read access, don't write it off so easily.  If other blokes would get off their collective arses and do the same, we'd have stable write access by now.  It's really not so hard to comprehend - once you have stable read access, you've completed precisely 50% of the requisite work for write access, if not more.  All they have to do then is either reverse the kernel module, or attempt to recreate the module from scratch.  Sure it's not simple, but you're writing that off as impossible entirely too soon.  How quickly you forget the progress that had to be made on FAT prior to MS and a number of their former partners deciding to switch to NTFS and dump FAT32 sources into the wild.

Before you go off saying something like that, keep in mind that there's a high degree of probability that bits of NTFS source have been leaked over the past decade, and that somebody somewhere has managed to amalgamate them and find coders competent enough to attempt to decipher the format.  Just because Microsoft says it can't be done, that doesn't make their word law.  ;)

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2005, 05:49 »
You can read NTFS in pretty much all Linux these days.  Except maybe Red Hat.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2005, 06:28 »
You can even read NTFS in OS X with a simple driver installation.

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2005, 08:30 »
Also, Captive can read and write by using the open NTFS driver to read the ntfs.sys file from a native windows installation. and then it uses the windows ntfs driver in a rapper to perform FS operations.

There are some commercial solutions, that write because they paid MS to license NTFS and were able to write drivers for it.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2005, 10:38 »
Just another thing, you were smart to use ntfs instead of FAT32, it
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2005, 12:19 »
Quote from: Orethrius
So you're going to tell me that I'm not accessing my three NTFS partitions through Slackware right now?
am i? you already told me what i was going to say, but i won't compound the misunderstanding by obliging you.
 Ingenious, I say.  If not direly incorrect.
perhaps, if i had actually said it. i am impressed by the ability of people to have a two way conversation on their own...  
Those fellows have done an awful lot to stabilise NTFS-read access, don't write it off so easily.
should it be difficult to write it off? as you well know, NTFS access is not enabled in most kernels for the reason that write access is still problematic (due to the guesswork required), so unless you are advising windows users to recompile their kernel simply to get linux to work as they want it to (which is something i think nobody should ever advise to someone who is just starting to switch from windows *) then what other options does this person have?  
If other blokes would get off their collective arses and do the same, we'd have stable write access by now.  It's really not so hard to comprehend - once you have stable read access, you've completed precisely 50% of the requisite work for write access, if not more.  All they have to do then is either reverse the kernel module, or attempt to recreate the module from scratch.  Sure it's not simple, but you're writing that off as impossible entirely too soon.
two things:
a) if it's so damn easy, then why don't you do it. post back here when you're finished.
b) i clearly misrepresented myself. I meant "impossible at this time, given the information that is available to the general non-microsoft community", i simply meant that read/write support for NTFS had not been implemented for a very long time after NTFS started being used, because the proprietors of the filesystem format in question chose to keep the specs a secret, so i am dubious about it suddenly being 100% working in a commercial product, but not as standard in the kernel. If it can be implemented under one system, then it can clearly be implemented under another, with the correct software, same as the thorny old winmodem issue, sure, drivers for all those rubbish modems can be written, but why bother? just buy a real modem, or get broadband... as a result if you do have one of those shitty modems, you'll have a harder time getting it to work than perhaps you might have expected. anyway i am digressing. you seem to be talking in absolutes, while i am trying to take into account the reality of providing at least the easiest and most cost effective options.  
How quickly you forget the progress that had to be made on FAT prior to MS and a number of their former partners deciding to switch to NTFS and dump FAT32 sources into the wild.

Before you go off saying something like that,
like what? like what i actually said? or like what you just errantly claimed i would say?
keep in mind that there's a high degree of probability that bits of NTFS source have been leaked over the past decade, and that somebody somewhere has managed to amalgamate them and find coders competent enough to attempt to decipher the format.
none of this makes it any easier to reverse engineer NTFS access, as you well know if  somebody sees the code for something that is under a prohibitive licence, they are not allowed to use the code in their own work without the people responsible for the licence giving them approval. i doubt microsoft would give approval for work based on their code to be used in any free software project, and we all know that most if not all distributors of linux systems include only software released under "free" type licences (in their home user level systems anyway).  
Just because Microsoft says it can't be done, that doesn't make their word law.  ;)
did they say that? perhaps they said they don't want it to be done, i have no idea what microsoft said, nor do i care, i also don't really care about ntfs access under linux either. linux has several perfectly good journaling filesystems and (contrary to what Aled Jones might suggest) does not need support for a closed source one from a company renowned for bringing out flawed software for nearly thirty years.

* because 1) it's just showing off that you consider a kernel recompile to be easy, while knowing a newbie will find it hard and will be intimidated, and 2) recompiling the kernel of an operating system should not be necessary to solve problems like this, at least not all the time, think about it, if people used to use windows, and never needed to recompile to fix problems, and now they use linux and need to recompile all the time, how is that better?
not that i necessarily think these things myself, you understand, but newbies will almost invariably see it this way.
« Last Edit: 18 February 2005, 12:28 by Calum »

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2005, 17:52 »
Quote from: Calum
2) recompiling the kernel of an operating system should not be necessary to solve problems like this, at least not all the time, think about it, if people used to use windows, and never needed to recompile to fix problems, and now they use linux and need to recompile all the time, how is that better?

So you have to recompile the kernel to read a differant file system - wouldn't it be easier to just install a driver or something?

It is essential for Linux to be able to at least read ntfs for people to migrate from Windows to Linux, it's just as important for Linux to run Windows software as lots of people (like myself) would use it more if it did, and if Linux could also use Windows drivers it would gain an even higher user base.

In short Linux needs to interoperate with Windows to a very high degree before most people will convert.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2005, 00:26 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
So you have to recompile the kernel to read a differant file system - wouldn't it be easier to just install a driver or something?
the answer is: it depends. the drivers being kernel "modules" decision, was taken as a compromise as i understand it between having as much stuff run outside of the kernel as possible (which tends to be difficult to implement and as a result is often not too hot, see HURD project for more info) and having tons of stuff be included in the kernel (easier to implement, due to being simpler, but uses a lot of resources). This isn't my department, so i hope i am not misleading you with inaccurate info, but that's how i understand it. You probably don't have to recompile your kernel to read many filesystems. most linux distributors provide kernels with support for ext2, ext3, reiserfs, fat32, fat, possibly jfs or xfs and some other ones too, it's less likely to see built in support for things like hfs (an old apple filesystem i think) or ntfs maybe because the support is unstable or because nobody uses them so it'd be a waste to make the kernel bigger by compiling support into the kernel. It all comes down to choice, and if you didn't compile your own kernel when you installed linux, then your distributor has made the choice for you. This is the same as ms windows actually, except that with linux, you *can* recompile your kernel to add support for things you want, and remove support for things you'll never need. BUT all this does have the drawback that if you have a kernel that has not been compiled with support for something and you want it, then yes you will need to recompile to get it. Having said that, i bet it'd be just as viable to get a user level piece of software that can access ntfs partitions without touching the kernel, this product we've been on about is probably just such a thing, this probably has its own issues, that come up by having nothing to do with the kernel and so on. i don't know what they are though.

It is essential for Linux to be able to at least read ntfs for people to migrate from Windows to Linux,
to you, perhaps, to me, not at all. as it happens one of my machines has an ntfs partition, windows 2000 is installed there, but the "D:" drive for that system is fat32, and that's where all the documents live (files and system should never be on the same partition), so no problem. and remember that it'll be mainly linux users developing kernel modules, there may be a limit to how important those people will see a project that's designed essentially for windows users, it's possible that those people have no interest in converting windows users.remember linux has nothing to gain by gathering more users, it's the users who ostensibly gain.  it's also possible that there's some deliberate difficulty in figuring out how the filesystem works, instigated by those who made the filesystem specification in the first place and who don't want it reverse engineered. a lack of NTFS support cannot be blamed on linux.
it's just as important for Linux to run Windows software as lots of people (like myself) would use it more if it did,
and i am sure more windows users would run linux software on windows if they could too. sorry, this is just silly. i appreciate what you are saying but it's ridiculous to expect one operating system to run binaries compiled on a totally different unrelated operating system. the veryfact that there are several quite successful projects on the go designed to do exactly this is a testament to the hard work that has gone into trying to make linux more accessible to windows users. This should in no way be criticised. You would never expect to hear somebody demanding that microsoft include a program designed to run linux binaries under windows (certainly not with as much rabid vigour as many windows users demand unidirectional binary compatibility between linux and windows), so why expect this from linux? if you want to run windows programs, run windows, just don't come running when the licence agreement you agreed to bites you on the ass.
and if Linux could also use Windows drivers it would gain an even higher user base.
see above. This is really getting to be a joke. how about this: if windows could run linux and FreeBSD binaries, and use MacOSX and GNU/HURD drivers then it could rule the world, oh wait, it already does, despite its many, many flaws. microsoft does not need to integrate these features into their operating system because they already have most of the users in the world under their thumb. Linux does not need to implement these measures because linux development (we're talking about the kernel here, where all this driver stuff is going on) is not profit driven and does not care how many users it has.

In short Linux needs to interoperate with Windows to a very high degree before most people will convert.

and there's the thing. linux does not care if you convert. it offers you a superior operating system, and invites you to use it. If you want all the home comforts of windows, stick with windows. What you ask is quite silly to my thinking, it's not impossible, and you are justified in asking for what you want, but what you want appears to be ms windows, not linux. linux is not those thigs you ask for.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2005, 01:21 »
Calum, I agree with just about everything you said and I know you can see my point of view too.

For the hardcore Linux like yourself who has mostly  moved away from Windows (ok I know you use it a bit with your files in a fat32 partition) Linux interoperates with Windows more than well enough.

For me, read access to ntfs is all you really need to copy your stuff to an ext3 partition. But if Linux could run all Linux binarys and drivers then lots of people would move to Linux so more people write Linux drivers and software so the Linux community would gain a hell of a lot - they should care about the number of users. I'm not being critical of Linux for not running Windows binarys. MS word loads word perfect documents in a bid to encourage people to migrate to word, the same principle applies to Linux. Why should MS make Windows run Linux programs and read ext3 when they already have the market share anyway, if the didn't they would do their best to make Windows interoperate with everything else and tht used to be the case too.

I think it makes more sense to separate the drivers from the kernel because it makes the system more dynamic. NT has a separate driver files for it's file system and other stuff. It all boils down to the old microkernel vs monoliuthic system debate: http://www.educ.umu.se/~bjorn/mhonarc-files/obsolete/msg00000.html
And just for the record: Linux is far form obsolete, this isn't my department either and NT is in no way better than Linux!

I don't really want Windows but I use it for the software that won't run on Linux and if it did I would just use Linux. Maybe then more people like me would use Linux thus giving the the company who writes the software (or a member of the Linux community) more motivation to write a Linux version.

Ultimately more Linux users would make much Linux better and if Linux needs to interoperate with Windows really well to achieve this then so be it.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2005, 02:31 »
Oh and soffy to double post but shouldn't this be moved to the Linux section?

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2005, 04:16 »

Mr X
was that too useless?

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2005, 14:01 »
Jones, you make a fair point but linux development, as we said already, isn't motivated by market share. microsoft included wordperfect translation in msword purely to snag all the wordperfect users, run wordperfect into obsolescence and gain a monopoly in the word processing arena, this was motivated by a desire for more profit and less competition. linux does not compete with anything, it's a hobby project. it just so happens that the model by which it is put togethr (extensive peer review, the same way scientific theories get refined, in fact) is incredibly good, and as a result many companies and organisations have sprung up, that market operating systems based on linux to the public. if anybody is supposed to care about gaining a userbase, it should be red hat (who have actually thrown in the home-user towel and now only deal with big businesses), SUSE, Mandrake, Turbolinux (again, niche market, japanese speaking businesses this time) and so on and so on. Those companies might have it in their interest to do some work along these lines and contribute to the kernel, but at the end of the day it's Linus Torvalds and his "lieutenants" who have the final say over what goes in and what stays out. ALSO, many companies are reluctant to contribute their work because they know that all submissions for inclusion in the linux kernel have to be released under the GPL, so sour grapes often stops them from even putting in the effort.

At the end of it, linux is a hobby project, we as users are lucky it has gone this far, and the companies who market linux are lucky too, since they have much less control over how it goes than they would probably like (if they did have more control, i think linux would just be another microsoft windows, expensive, buggy bloatware).

It's just a different point of view. Perhaps i could suggest that you get an apple macintosh? :-D