Author Topic: Microsoft Word problem  (Read 2960 times)

Shaneleroy

• Kudos: 10
Microsoft Word problem
« on: 26 February 2005, 01:11 »
Hi guys, this is my first post, and I was hoping someone could help me. It's a really minor, but annoying problem.

Basically, my Aunt was doing up her CV at my house a couple of weeks ago on Microsoft word (Office 2000, Windows 2000) while i was out. Ever since, every time I open word it automatically opens her CV as Document1. I have deleted her CV and everything else associated with it. I have unistalled and Reinstalled office twice, but it is STILL there. I have deleted document1 many times, i have deleted the words aand saved a blank page as document1 yet it still comes back.

Please help

Shane Leroy

MrX

• Kudos: 0
Re: Microsoft Word problem
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2005, 05:20 »

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2005, 07:59 »
I'm betting she saved it as normal.dot.  

Find all instances of normal .dot.  Copy them onto a backup drive.  Erase them from the main drive.  Uninstall Office. Reinstall office.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2005, 21:01 »
Quote from: mobrien_12
I'm betting she saved it as normal.dot.  

Find all instances of normal .dot.  Copy them onto a backup drive.  Erase them from the main drive.  Uninstall Office. Reinstall office.

I'm sorry, but there's a small flaw in your post. Here's a better one:
Find all instances of normal .dot.  Copy them onto a backup drive.  Erase them from the main drive.  Uninstall Office. Install Open Office.

Shaneleroy

« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2005, 21:38 »
Quote from: Refalm
I'm sorry, but there's a small flaw in your post. Here's a better one:
Find all instances of normal .dot.  Copy them onto a backup drive.  Erase them from the main drive.  Uninstall Office. Install Open Office.

What exactly from that link shall I download/install?

You guys are definately on the right track.My problem is   that the file is saved as "Normal.dot" and therefore windows won't allow me to rename it, delete it, save over it or anything like that. When word is open, I can follow the link to

C
Documents and settings
Administrator
Application data
Microsoft
Templates
normal.dot

However, when i try and save a blank file as normal.dot, it says an open file can't replace an existing one. also , when word is not open the above trail stops after i open the Administrator data folder.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2005, 22:25 »
Quote from: Shaneleroy
What exactly from that link shall I download/install?

OpenOffice.org, the free and better Office packet.

It can open and save Word, Excel and PowerPoint files, including opening .dot without the bullshit.

JanusChrist

• Kudos: 15
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2005, 23:25 »
+1 for Open Office
On your way out of Microsoft Land feel free to smash a few Windows.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2005, 09:00 »
*sighs*  Make me break out the class PC, why don't ya?

Quick Fix:
(1) Hold down the Windows key and hit R.
(2) Type
Code: [Select]
"C:\Documents and settings\Administrator\Application data\Microsoft\Templates"
(3) Make sure Word is closed (any Office application, for that matter).
(4) Copy and paste normal.dot to the same directory, this should duplicate it.
(5) Open the duplicate.  Delete EVERYTHING in it.  Save and Exit.
(6) Shift-Delete the original normal.dot.  Say "Yes" or "OK" or whatever the hell it is.
(7) Rename "copy of normal.dot" to "normal.dot"
(8) Enjoy until someone borks up Word again.

Permanent Fix:
(1) Using Add/Remove Programs, uninstall Microsoft Word and  any other Office programs you may run across.
(2) Install OpenOffice.org.
(3) Relax in the knowledge that this crap won't happen again.  :cool:

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Shaneleroy

« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2005, 20:17 »
Orethrius, You are the man.

It's fixed . And i will take all you guys advice on OpenOffice.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to help me. :thumbup:

Orethrius

« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2005, 04:02 »
See guys?  Solve a problem and they take your advice.  Cram a solution down their throats, and they never return.  Hope you switch to OpenOffice soon.  ;)

System Vitals

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2005, 07:17 »
A bit of warning to ya: OpenOffice is slow.  I'd use Abiword, and Gnumeric (which I don't know if it runs on Windows...) and wait for OpenOffice 2.0, which is supposed to be a bit faster.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Orethrius

« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2005, 08:29 »
...and Microsoft Office is akin to Speedy Gonzales?  I think they'd be better off with any OpenOffice for the time being...

System Vitals

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2005, 10:23 »
Quote from: WMD
A bit of warning to ya: OpenOffice is slow.  I'd use Abiword, and Gnumeric (which I don't know if it runs on Windows...) and wait for OpenOffice 2.0, which is supposed to be a bit faster.

Abiword runs on Windows, I don't know about Gnumeric.

I use OpenOffice and it is a bit slow (even compared to MS office dare I say it) but it makes up for this in features and stability. The reason for it's slowness is it uses one very big module for everything, i.e. when you're word processing you have the code for the speadsheet, drawing and presentation packages also loaded whether you like it or not. MS office is slightly more efficent with resources as it has separate modules for different functions.

I have tried various OpenOffice 2.0 builds and some have been slower than OpenOffice 1 and some are faster. Others have been a bit buggy but they've been very stable. OpenOffice 2.0 rocks and is a lot better than MS Office and it's not long before it's first release I've heard it could be ready as early as next month.

The only problem with the packages you've listed WMD is you've not metioned any drawing or presentation software.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #13 on: 21 March 2005, 03:18 »

You guys are definately on the right track.My problem is that the file is saved as "Normal.dot" and therefore windows won't allow me to rename it, delete it, save over it or anything like that. When word is open, I can follow the link to... However, when i try and save a blank file as normal.dot, it says an open file can't replace an existing one. also , when word is not open the above trail stops after i open the Administrator data folder.

1) Don't worry about it. Bill Gates knows better than you do what's best for you.

2) Stop thinking for yourself. It's a really bad habit to get into.

:D
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #14 on: 23 March 2005, 02:22 »
...and Microsoft Office is akin to Speedy Gonzales?

Almost.  MS Office isn't slow at all.  I used to run 2000 on a Pentium 166 with 32MB RAM.  It wasn't that slow.

OpenOffice is much slower.  Which is why I really don't use it.  I haven't need presentation software in quite a while, anyway.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez