Author Topic: BSD Developers' have cleaner mouths than Linux developers  (Read 1692 times)

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
I'm sure most people here have seen the Linux Kernel swear count at some point. I decided to grep the bsd source code, and I got a few hits.

Based on the latest Linux Kernel Swear Count, the 2.6.11 version of the Linux Kernel has around 65 instances of the word "fuck" in it. This is definitely one area in which BSD simple can't match up with Linux. The entire BSD Kernel source of 5_Stable has 0 intances of the work "fuck". I did however find one intance of the word "shit" - I guess that one "slipped through the cracks" :D

I can only imagine how many hits there would be if you greped the source of an entire Linux distro (Kernel + Userland)

Here are my results on the entire BSD source tree (Kernel + Userland). Note that I excluded the /games part of the source, as it has some dialogues of text games with tons of dirty words.

Code: [Select]
[font=Fixedsys][size=1]
athlonxp# egrep -r -e "fuck | shit | bitch | damn" /usr/src/sys
/usr/src/sys/dev/aac/aac.c:  * Traverse the busy command list, bitch about late commands once
/usr/src/sys/dev/drm/mga_warp.c: /* FIXME: Get rid of these damned magic numbers...
/usr/src/sys/dev/drm/radeon_state.c: * need this because the card's so damned fast...
/usr/src/sys/dev/usb/udbp.c: NG_NODE_UNREF(sc->node); /* out damned spot! */
/usr/src/sys/dev/vinum/vinumraid5.c: rqg = NULL; /* shut up, damn compiler */
/usr/src/sys/dev/vinum/vinumrequest.c: * protected?  If it weren't so damned difficult to write
/usr/src/sys/dev/vinum/vinumstate.c: break; /* just do it, and damn the consequences */
/usr/src/sys/dev/zs/z8530reg.h: * The damnable chip was designed to fit on Z80 I/O ports, and thus
/usr/src/sys/kern/imgact_elf.c: /* This had damn well better be true! */
/usr/src/sys/pci/if_sf.c: * put each index in a separate register, especially given that the damn

athlonxp# egrep -r -e "fuck | shit | bitch | damn" /usr/src/contrib/
/usr/src/contrib/binutils/bfd/netbsd-core.c:  abort (); /* This way doesn't require any declaration for ANSI to fuck up */
/usr/src/contrib/binutils/bfd/osf-core.c:  abort(); /* This way doesn't require any declaration for ANSI to fuck up */
/usr/src/contrib/binutils/bfd/ptrace-core.c:  abort (); /* This way doesn't require any declaration for ANSI to fuck up */
/usr/src/contrib/binutils/bfd/sco5-core.c:  abort (); /* This way doesn't require any declaration for ANSI to fuck up */
/usr/src/contrib/binutils/bfd/trad-core.c:  abort (); /* This way doesn't require any declaration for ANSI to fuck up */
/usr/src/contrib/cvs/FAQ:   fingers, you might have to hit dozens of Control-C's to stop the damn
/usr/src/contrib/file/Magdir/games:0 string 5\x0aCastle_of_the_Damned Quake I save: e1m2 Castle of the damned
/usr/src/contrib/file/Magdir/msdos:# 3.0, except for one ".exe" which had it as 4.20 (same damn linker!).
/usr/src/contrib/gcc/cp/ChangeLog.2: Stop doing this damn index==strchr variable name confusion.
/usr/src/contrib/gcc/cp/error.c: errorcount = 0; /* damn ICE suppression */
/usr/src/contrib/gcc/dwarf2out.c: be able to handle such cases, but it will be damn difficult.  */
/usr/src/contrib/gcc/dwarfout.c: we may be able to handle such cases, but it will be damn difficult.  */
/usr/src/contrib/gcc/config/sparc/sparc.md:   /* shit */
/usr/src/contrib/gdb/gdb/breakpoint.c: What I think this means is that we don't need a damned table
/usr/src/contrib/gdb/gdb/gdbtypes.c: Well, damnit, if the names are exactly the same,
/usr/src/contrib/gdb/gdb/procfs.c: /* Unixware peculiarity -- read the damn thing again! */
/usr/src/contrib/gdb/gdb/ser-unix.c:/* Translate baud rates from integers to damn B_codes.  Unix should
/usr/src/contrib/libreadline/CHANGES: compatibility be damned.
/usr/src/contrib/libstdc++/ChangeLog-2000:  fuck it, move data members _M_buf, and _M_buf_size into
/usr/src/contrib/ntp/sntp/README:completely broken, because MSNTP does its damnedest to declare its packets as
/usr/src/contrib/nvi/ex/ex_join.c: * I don't give a damn. This implementation puts the cursor
/usr/src/contrib/one-true-awk/FIXES: message in intest() by code that damn well makes it an array.
/usr/src/contrib/tcpdump/print-isoclns.c:   max_area = 3; /* silly shit */
/usr/src/contrib/tcpdump/print-isoclns.c: id_length = 6;  /* silly shit again */
/usr/src/contrib/tcsh/sh.exec.c: /* Couldn't find the damn thing */

athlonxp# egrep -r -e "fuck | shit | bitch | damn" /usr/src/crypto/
/usr/src/crypto/heimdal/lib/roken/iruserok.c:   /* We need to get the damn hostname back for netgroup matching. */
/usr/src/crypto/openssl/CHANGES:  *) Deal with irritating shit to do with dependencies, in YAAHW (Yet Another
/usr/src/crypto/openssl/crypto/bn/asm/ia64.S:// following statement. It's damn shame that this routine isn't called
/usr/src/crypto/openssl/crypto/bn/asm/sparcv8plus.S: * As you can see it's damn hard to beat the new Sun C compiler
/usr/src/crypto/openssl/crypto/engine/enginetest.c: "I'll probably also core-dump now, damn.\n");
/usr/src/crypto/openssl/doc/ssleay.txt:all web software (and it is damn fast) it is more or less required for
/usr/src/crypto/openssl/doc/ssleay.txt:   Got to admit that Visual C++ 4.[01] is a damn fine compiler :-)
/usr/src/crypto/openssl/ssl/ssl.h: * I'm using EXPLICIT tags so I can read the damn things using asn1parse :-).
/usr/src/crypto/openssl/util/fixNT.sh:echo 'removing those damn ^M'

athlonxp# egrep -r -e "fuck | shit | bitch | damn" /usr/src/lib/
/usr/src/lib/libc/net/rcmd.c:   /* We need to get the damn hostname back for netgroup matching. */[/size][/font]
:)

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
Re: BSD Developers' have cleaner mouths than Linux developers
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2005, 08:22 »
Disclaimer: insufficient vocabulary utilisation skills should not be confused for a lack of adequate intelligence.  That is all.  :p

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2005, 11:32 »
This is very funny.  :D  :D  :D

Is there a reason for why Linux has more swearing in it than BSD?

Could it be because BSD censored and Linux is more hardcore?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2005, 11:33 »

Could it be because BSD censored and Linux is more haardcore?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2005, 11:34 »

Could it be because BSD cennsored and Linux is more haardcore?

toadlife

« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2005, 19:25 »
If you take out the games (as I mentioned above), the entire BSD userland + kernel has less swear words that the Linux kernel alone. I find it hard to believe that all of the BSD contributors have such sqeakly clean comments. I have a feeling the FreeBSD core team might do some 'filtering' before committing changes - or they might ask all of their contributors ahead of time to try and keep the language clean.

In any case, I'm pretty sure the dev team makes a conscience effort to keep the code fairly clean. I saw this quote on the BSD forums...

" Actually, I'm sure I've seen a commit to the tree before which was just to remove a foul word put in by a developer."
[/size][/font]

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2005, 23:03 »
But Windows has some great stuff too. :D

bash-2.05b$ egrep -r -e "fucking" /mnt/drived/src/win2k/private            
/mnt/drived/src/win2k/private/shell/shell32/util.cpp:// the fucking alpha cpp compiler seems to fuck up the goddam type "LPITEMIDLIST", so to work
/mnt/drived/src/win2k/private/shell/shell32/util.cpp:// around the fucking peice of shit compiler we pass the last param as an void *instead of a LPITEMIDLIST
/mnt/drived/src/win2k/private/shell/shell32/util.h:// the fucking alpha cpp compiler seems to fuck up the goddam type "LPITEMIDLIST", so to work
/mnt/drived/src/win2k/private/shell/shell32/util.h:// around the fucking peice of shit compiler we pass the last param as an LPVOID instead of a LPITEMIDLIST
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2005, 23:47 »
Hey! Castle of the Damned doesn't count!

toadlife

« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2005, 23:52 »
LOL@ the Windows comments. A tad bit stressed are we?

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2005, 05:56 »
You remember when the Windows sourcecode got leaked? Anyone got a copy of that? Look through that for swearing... :D
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #10 on: 28 April 2005, 06:14 »
bash-2.05b$ egrep -r -e "fuck" /mnt/drived/src/win2k/private | wc -l

bash-2.05b$ egrep -r -e "shit" /mnt/drived/src/win2k/private | wc -l

Happy? :p
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez