Author Topic: advice for linux newbie  (Read 6326 times)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Re: advice for linux newbie
« Reply #45 on: 23 April 2005, 03:35 »
Xorg alone uses 150MB of memory.

Does it, though?  This question may be beneath you, but did you take into account these numbers?  (disclaimer: X is bloated either way)

[verwijderd door de beheerder]
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #46 on: 23 April 2005, 04:12 »
Quote from: WMD
Does it, though? This question may be beneath you, but did you take into account these numbers? (disclaimer: X is bloated either way)

I'll have a look when I get home. You may be right - I might have been of not been paying attention and talking out of my ass there. :p
:)

toadlife

« Reply #47 on: 23 April 2005, 05:05 »
Nope. X takes 150megs of memory allright. Perhaps BSD handles memory differently from Linux?

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #48 on: 23 April 2005, 06:49 »
Possibly.  Here's my same line from good ol' top.  (I don't know why it says root.  It isn't :confused: )

My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

toadlife

« Reply #49 on: 23 April 2005, 09:01 »
X must be run as root because it directly accesses your video hardware. Here is an explanation from the good ole' FreeBSD handbook.

Only recently did the X port in FreeBSD even bother to install the x11 wrapper for you. When I first started using BSD a little over a year ago, I installed X, and upon trying to run it, I got a big fat error message telling me I had to be root to run Xfree86. Needless to say, I learned something new that day.:D

toadlife

« Reply #50 on: 23 April 2005, 09:17 »
IN case your wondering, on my machine, top shows X being run as my "paulb" account for some reason. KDE's sysguard shows it as being run as root - which is technically correct. I have no idea why top and KDE's sysguard show different owners. The BSD version of top might be programmed differently to recognize these types of special processes.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #51 on: 23 April 2005, 14:32 »
Well all of your distros suck of you've installed lots of shit because my Vector Linux installation uses fuck all memory, it's light and fast.

Screenshot

I only have 256MB of ram and 32MB is used for the graphics,  so that's just 224MB for the system. The swap file is seldom used and when it is I'm running low on memory as far as I'm concerned, this is how all operating systems should be.
« Last Edit: 23 April 2005, 14:42 by Aloone_Jonez »
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Hero999

« Reply #52 on: 23 April 2005, 19:00 »
Linux can suck and it can be good, but I still prefur Windows for most things (because it's the only OS that lets me run all the software I use) even though I hate MS!

Lord C

• Kudos: 15
    • http://www.lordcalvin.co.uk/
« Reply #53 on: 23 April 2005, 22:55 »
Quote from: Hero999
Linux can suck and it can be good, but I still prefur Windows for most things (because it's the only OS that lets me run all the software I use) even though I hate MS!

I think you're looking at it from a weird perspective.
Open your mind a little.

I could have started with a Acorn running ReactOS, and say "I prefer ReactOS to Windows/Linux/MacOSX because it's the only OS that runs the software I use".
Well, maybe it's the only OS that will run the software you use on that OS - but I'm very sure it isn't the only OS that will run the type of software you use.

Maybe Windows is the only OS that could run Microsoft Word (I know it isn't, but im talking hyperphetically), but most other OS' can run Word Processors!

See my point?

Give us a list of software you need/use, and I'm sure we can find out what works, and what alternatives there are for those that don't work, in other Operating Systems.

Welcome to the site - feel free to sign up ;)
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Linux user #348855

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #54 on: 24 April 2005, 03:18 »
I would have to recommend Ubuntu, Ubuntu has proved to be a very good distro for new users with minimal configuration, most of the time it works right off the bat. I have actually ordered 100 x86, and 30 PPC Ubuntu cd's to give to people at my college to use instead of winblows. I have successfully converted most of my less "techy" friends to linux (and i havent even recieived the CD's yet, just think of the possibilities, lol)

ps. no offense to you uber leet ubuntu users, its great for you guys too, lol, great for anyone really, billi Hates is prob using it as his main desktop OS and just not telling anybody, that bastard knows windoze will never match up to anything *NIX, and that includes OS X, which is BSD based me tinks.
« Last Edit: 24 April 2005, 03:25 by BobTheHob »
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: 24 April 2005, 04:12 »
Quote from: Lord C
I think you're looking at it from a weird perspective.
Open your mind a little.

I could have started with a Acorn running ReSX because it's the only OS that runs the software I uactOS, and say "I prefer ReactOS to Windows/Linux/MacOse".
Well, maybe it's the only OS that will run the software you use on that OS - but I'm very sure it isn't the only OS that will run the type of software you use.

Maybe Windows is the only OS that could run Microsoft Word (I know it isn't, but im talking hyperphetically), but most other OS' can run Word Processors!

See my point?

Give us a list of software you need/use, and I'm sure we can find out what works, and what alternatives there are for those that don't work, in other Operating Systems.

Welcome to the site - feel free to sign up ;)

I've already disscused this before and I'm sorry I brought it up again, it just annoys me. There is no decent electronic circuit simulation software for Linux. I'm training to be an electronic engineer and it's also a hobby of mine so this is very important to me. I've replaced MS Works and IE with GPL software and I'm happy enough with how my machine runs.

http://www.microsuck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8860
http://www.microsuck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8833
http://www.electronics-lab.com/forum/index.php?topic=2315.0

Edit:
I'm not dissing Linux it's great look at how much memory Vector Linux uses:

Screenshot

I know I've posted this before but who bothered to click on the link? I don't want to put the picture in directly because poeple will bitch and the bandwidth I'm wasting.
« Last Edit: 24 April 2005, 04:18 by Aloone_Jonez »
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #56 on: 24 April 2005, 04:25 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
There is no decent electronic circuit simulation software for Linux.
While this may be true, I have scoured the web, and I just happened to notice that almost every circuit sim. app i could find was compatable with at least win95 if not win 3.1, whats my point you may ask. My point is that if an app works with most every win version, it will most definatly work with Wine :p
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: 24 April 2005, 12:23 »
Well the software I use didn't work with Wine the last time I tried it but it might do with the latest release I'll download it when I get the time as its no easy task on my shitty dialup connection.

Lord C

• Kudos: 15
    • http://www.lordcalvin.co.uk/
« Reply #58 on: 24 April 2005, 12:25 »
Staying with windows for something as specific as what you need is understandable.
Unless, like Bob said, it works in Wine :)

Yeah I beleive I have seen the screenshot before too.
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Linux user #348855

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: 24 April 2005, 12:45 »
I'm just amazed that X only uses 11MB of memory on my Vector Linux installation!

People here have bitched and said X is bloted and it uses >150MB, but why the fuck does it only uses 11MB on my machine and shit loads on everone else's?