Author Topic: advice for linux newbie  (Read 6367 times)

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
Re: advice for linux newbie
« Reply #60 on: 24 April 2005, 17:59 »
It seems we are all waiting for an enthusiastic programmer who is also an engineer in electronics and will write us a Free circuit simulator...

Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I'm at work at the moment when I get home I'll tell you how much memory Vector Linux uses on my PC.
Well all of your distros suck of you've installed lots of shit because my Vector Linux installation uses fuck all memory, it's light and fast.

I'm not dissing Linux it's great look at how much memory Vector Linux uses:
I'm just amazed that X only uses 11MB of memory on my Vector Linux installation!

Alright, I think we all get the point...

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #61 on: 24 April 2005, 18:28 »
Quote from: Jenda
It seems we are all waiting for an enthusiastic programmer who is also an engineer in electronics and will write us a Free circuit simulator...

I wish I could program, infact I used to but I lost interest in it, maybe one day I'll go back but maybe not, anyway I'm not confident enough that I'll ever be a good enough  programmer to write a circuit simulator, electronics is my main strength not programming.

Quote from: Jenda
Alright, I think we all get the point...

Ok I'll say it once more and then I promise I'll shut up.  :D

[SIZE=8]Vector Linux Roooooolzzzzzz![/SIZE]
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #62 on: 25 April 2005, 06:34 »
I'm just amazed that X only uses 11MB of memory on my Vector Linux installation!

People here have bitched and said X is bloted and it uses >150MB, but why the fuck does it only uses 11MB on my machine and shit loads on everone else's?

Let me guess, you use a lightweight window manager like Fluxbox?
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #63 on: 25 April 2005, 07:16 »
He didn't say what version of Vector he was using. According to Distro Watch, Vector had been using mainly IceWM; only the latest release uses KDE.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #64 on: 25 April 2005, 07:24 »
Quote from: jtpenrod
He didn't say what version of Vector he was using. According to Distro Watch, Vector had been using mainly IceWM; only the latest release uses KDE.
judging by his process list on that screenshot, he is running xfwm
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #65 on: 25 April 2005, 07:34 »
judging by his process list on that screenshot, he is running xfwm

Still way lighter than KDE. If he upgrades and takes KDE, those stats are going to go way up. (As for myself, I installed Enlightenment when I put Slack 10.1 on this rig. The Slack folks should offer that on the install CDs.)
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: 25 April 2005, 23:36 »
Ok, I was running Xfce 4.3, but that's not the point the latest Knoppix distro can run KDE on 96MB with out a swap partition, and X only uses 17MB under knoppix and that's with KDE too. :p

Anyway BobTheHob, are you into Electronics too?
« Last Edit: 25 April 2005, 23:54 by Aloone_Jonez »
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

BobTheHob

« Reply #67 on: 26 April 2005, 01:36 »
Ok, I was running Xfce 4.3, but that's not the point the latest Knoppix distro can run KDE on 96MB with out a swap partition, and X only uses 17MB under knoppix and that's with KDE too. :p

Anyway BobTheHob, are you into Electronics too?

Yes, I have been building electronics as a hobby for awhile now. I enjoy making little gadgets and stuff, lol
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: 26 April 2005, 10:40 »
I may have met you before in http://www.electronics-lab.com are you tweak232?

If so the post in the "What is your favorate programing language?" thread.

I'm Alun by the way.

BobTheHob

« Reply #69 on: 26 April 2005, 16:38 »
I may have met you before in http://www.electronics-lab.com are you tweak232?

If so the post in the "What is your favorate programing language?" thread.

I'm Alun by the way.
Nah, thats not me.

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #70 on: 26 April 2005, 20:50 »
Quote from: BobTheHob
Yes, I have been building electronics as a hobby for awhile now. I enjoy making little gadgets and stuff, lol

Can you make me a low voltage/current shock collar for my 1 year old son with a remote control. He allways gets into stuff, and he doesn't comprehend 'no'. i smack his hand sometimes when he gets into something dangerous, but he giggles and thinks I'm playing when I do it. I don't want to hit him hard, and that wouldn't be productive/good. :D

Yeah...a shock collar is  defenitely what I need. :thumbup:
:)

BobTheHob

« Reply #71 on: 26 April 2005, 22:48 »
Quote from: toadlife
Can you make me a low voltage/current shock collar for my 1 year old son with a remote control. He allways gets into stuff, and he doesn't comprehend 'no'. i smack his hand sometimes when he gets into something dangerous, but he giggles and thinks I'm playing when I do it. I don't want to hit him hard, and that wouldn't be productive/good. :D

Yeah...a shock collar is  defenitely what I need. :thumbup:

500V @ 10A should be enough, but it wouldent be wireless :D

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: 26 April 2005, 23:11 »
I could actually build a portable circuit to charge a very large capacitor & give that voltage and current for a 100 or so milliseconds. :D

BobTheHob

« Reply #73 on: 26 April 2005, 23:19 »
I could actually build a portable circuit to charge a very large capacitor & give that voltage and current for a 100 or so milliseconds. :D
Yea, but ya but he needs to be able to have a toggle switch to turn it on and leave it on if he needs, fuck momentary switches, lol

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #74 on: 29 April 2005, 22:33 »
I have a very important question.

When installing a dual boot* (for those of us who do not have the courage to make the plunge (into freedom)) on a system with a single unpartitioned drive, is there a way to partition it with minimal risk of data loss?

If not, my friend needs to backup his whole disk. He doesn't have a burner, and doesn't know anyone in the area who has an external one. He has a fairly decent internet connection. I have a burner, and we have two flash drives, with a total of 384 MB. No external HDDs in sight. Any Ideas?

*Ubuntu/Win2k