Author Topic: CherryOS  (Read 1737 times)

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
CherryOS
« on: 10 March 2005, 17:03 »
The fog has lifted and a new emulator has seen the light of day. But who wants and needs it?

http://www.mxsinc.com/pages.php?cid=MDEwMDA4
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Re: CherryOS
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2005, 17:25 »
What, they've added some more obfuscation to the PearPC code and put it in a pretty box ;)

PS: Moved to apps.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2005, 17:36 »
It will be a good opportunity for people to try out OS X and see its qualities, and eventually switch to the Mac. But frankly, the PPC architecture being much more complex than the x86 architecture, I don't hold high hopes that PPC emulators will ever be fast enough to be usable, or at least close to VirtualPC. So I don't know whether people will get a good impression of OS X.

For the price of CherryOS and the hardware needed to get a remotely usable speed, one might as well buy a used iMac.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2005, 18:36 »
Quote from: laukev7
It will be a good opportunity for people to try out OS X and see its qualities, and eventually switch to the Mac. But frankly, the PPC architecture being much more complex than the x86 architecture, I don't hold high hopes that PPC emulators will ever be fast enough to be usable, or at least close to VirtualPC. So I don't know whether people will get a good impression of OS X.

For the price of CherryOS and the hardware needed to get a remotely usable speed, one might as well buy a used iMac.

and the price of OSX...

You're right actually, one would be as well buying a mac mini.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

themacuser

• Kudos: 120
« Reply #4 on: 4 April 2005, 04:29 »
It IS just a modified PearPC...

There's tons of proof, I'll get a few links soon...
I'm often asked why I hate Microsoft - "What did they ever do to you?". Well, I'll tell you. They made dodgy programs and standards which have wasted hundreds of hours of my time involving lost work in crashes and stupidity.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #5 on: 4 April 2005, 04:55 »
The PearPC people have managed to compile a thousand times more evidence that CherryOS ripped them off than SCO ever published.

And PearPC only has binaries to work from.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....