Author Topic: How to make your Windows machine more stable and secure  (Read 15344 times)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: How to make your Windows machine more stable and secure
« Reply #165 on: 1 April 2005, 16:19 »
Quote from: muzzy
Are we going to argue about X11 now? As far as I know, a modern X11 desktop uses shitloads of bandwidth, and running remote applications on it with all that eyecandy is a lagfest. I've always considered the remote nature of X11 to be one of its strenghts, and that's being greatly reduced with all the blehbleh stuff.

That "blehbleh" stuff is the responsebility of KDE and Gnome, not X.org.

You are still able to run a light-weight Blackbox or IceWM without the eye candy lagfest. And yes, those two are pretty modern too.

If it's necessary to run X on a server (which can sometimes be useful), I strongly disrecommend KDE or Gnome, because it wastes CPU and it slows down VNC.

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
« Reply #166 on: 1 April 2005, 20:29 »
I actually prefer fvwm, although it sometimes feels a little bloat, especially if I'm forced to use fvwm2. That's the way X should be, and that's the way it shows its power. I don't see the need for gui apps under X, since the ideology it best works with is having multiple terminals and some special display windows (xload, xclock, pager) along it. Web browser and gimp tend to require gui, because of the way they operate.

I heavily dislike any theme crap on X, and I dislike it on windows as well. Form follows function, and as long as the UI is functional, it will look good too. In my opinion, the people who disagree are the kind of people who don't use computers as a tool, but rather want an entertainment center or a decorated idling place. I personalize my systems with functionality rather than looks.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #167 on: 1 April 2005, 23:22 »
i prefer windowmaker and in fact xfce myself, for more or less the same reasons.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

BaselineAce

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #168 on: 24 November 2005, 18:12 »
This may just be the most useful tutorial ever written.

dmcfarland

• Kudos: 123
« Reply #169 on: 24 November 2005, 18:59 »
You make a windows machine more stable by removing Windows and installing Linux. :p
Whip me, Beat me, Humiliate me, Mistreat me, and Windows XP me.:fu:

MarathoN

• Kudos: 168
« Reply #170 on: 24 November 2005, 19:58 »
Quote from: Calum
i prefer windowmaker and in fact xfce myself, for more or less the same reasons.

Me too. :eek::thumbup:

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
« Reply #171 on: 25 November 2005, 04:39 »
Oh dear god no, a thread resurrection with immediate "me too" posts. And a whine about a thread resurrection (this post). Will it get any more pointless than this?

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #172 on: 25 November 2005, 05:31 »
Quote from: muzzy
Oh dear god no, a thread resurrection with immediate "me too" posts. And a whine about a thread resurrection (this post). Will it get any more pointless than this?

Resurrecting a sticky thread is sorta meaningless.
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #173 on: 25 November 2005, 15:21 »
This thread isn't sticky anyway one vote for bin because this is a M$ Winblow$ help thread.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #174 on: 25 November 2005, 15:25 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
This thread isn't sticky anyway one vote for bin because this is a M$ Winblow$ help thread.
It's a thread for helping Windows users by pointing them to an alternative. Something wrong with that?

It doesn't break any rules anyhow, greatscot didn't ask how to fix any Microsoft products.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
« Reply #175 on: 25 November 2005, 15:49 »
I say we sticky this but change the name a bit. This was origanally about alternatives to Windows but changed into a thread about the quality of MS products, Windows in particular. This shows some of the arguments for and against Windows and remains a fairly civil discussion. I say for this reason it should be sticked.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #176 on: 25 November 2005, 15:50 »
I stand corrected.

Quote from: greatscot
The following steps will show you how to make your Windows machine more stable and secure.

1. Open the CD tray
2. Insert a Linux distro - CD 1 of x or DVD
3. Reboot your machine into BIOS and make the changes necessary for your machine to boot from CD/DVD
4. Install Linux using the entire hard drive
5. Throw all Windows CD's/DVD's in the dumpster where they belong

I did this and have been very satisfied with my machine because it is now more stable, secure and faster than ever.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu: