Author Topic: Derailment  (Read 2098 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Re: Derailment
« Reply #15 on: 30 March 2005, 07:48 »
Quote from: MrX
can i do ascii pictures instead? i mean whats wrong with pictures. its not like we all use dial up here.

Mr X

[size=8]NO![/size]

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #16 on: 30 March 2005, 08:38 »
God forbid he should start posting ASCII pictures.  Actually, I see no problem with him wasting the bandwidth of a site that asks people to waste their bandwidth.  But I draw the line when someone starts abusing "innocent" sysops.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #17 on: 30 March 2005, 10:35 »
I don't really care.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #18 on: 30 March 2005, 11:28 »
I'm on dial up and ASCII pictures are very lame, even though they don't take up much bandwidth they do make the board look cluttered and untidy and they look shitt too.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #19 on: 30 March 2005, 11:29 »
Quote from: MrX
im famous!
Mr X

Yes you are but for all the wrong reasons!
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #20 on: 30 March 2005, 16:38 »
(A classic example of derailment from Mr X's post onwards, funny, that happens quite often :rolleyes:)

Regarding an Open Source Board:
I dont know anything about vBulletien, but it looks to be in PHP, and even Zend optimised stuff can be easy to crack in the right hands :D. However I realised this site doesn't use MySQL which is kinda scarey... are there backups made? what an exploit allows some fuckface to delete all our posts from the filesystem? It also makes it very hard to implement a post history feature, which I think I will do for my forum just for the fun of it, some time.

To go back on topic...

From reading peoples posts suggestions added to my little idea of simpily renaming threads are, or suggests to do something else are, summarized in the following...
* To split topics into seperate topics. (Kinda could piss people off - but lets theres a way to stop that)
* To just move posts instead of deleteing.
Did I miss something?

I don't see a way of splitting posts into other threads, just splitting into new ones: so I don't think to move posts is an answer, there is a trashcan where threads go anyway. Maybe I am wrong about this and there is a way.

However I am very interested in the split topics idea. For a hypothetical ets say the first 5 pages of a discussion on "Linux Kernel" becomes a discussion on "xorg" on page 6. Then lets say pages 7 and 8 are all about "xorg" with about 40% of the posts about "Linux Kernel". Obviously if someone was to delete the xorg posts about 10 linux geeks would track the moderator in question down and cut off their balls. However I think the best thing to do would be to start a vote thread with a poll weather it should be split, and majority wins of course. However this leaves the posts with "Linux Kernel" and "Xorg" stuff on the limbo. I think the best thing to do with those is either leave them in the original thread or copy them into both.

Things like this will make it much easier for say, new user #45243 comeing here with a Xorg question answered in "xorg" discussion already, which is actually in a thread called "Linux Kernel", so he doesnt find it and asks again". There is a search system for this, however how many newbies do that before asking questions :p.

The idea of renameing topics could be very well and all in discussions with only slight offtopic discussion. However I do like Kev's idea of splitting a lot myself.

What do people think?