Author Topic: Hotmail sucks ass too!  (Read 2585 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Re: Hotmail sucks ass too!
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2005, 23:02 »
bloody Tux from manchester uses msn only ferfuxake!
nope, msn is here to stay.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

creativedisco

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #16 on: 4 March 2005, 05:23 »
Now now, I have found one use for Hotmail...I give people my hotmail address when I specifically DON'T want to hear from them.  Like if it's to verify something or sign up for something when I know I'm gonna get bombarded with spam...if nothing else, it's good for demonstrating just how crappy hotmail is when it comes to those matters.  Though, even now, I'm phasing out my hotmail account and just using my yahoo address as the spam recepticle now that I have gmail.  Gmail ish teh roxxorz!!!!!1one!11  :thumbup:   By the way, I too have some invites I can throw around if anybody wants some.  Just pm me or something or whatever.  I dunno...I'm just a poet...totally out of touch with reality...and a n00b...psht.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #17 on: 4 March 2005, 18:11 »
hi disco!

i like poets!
i agree, i like gmail too.

welcome to the board and everything, hope to see you around

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #18 on: 4 March 2005, 20:47 »
Only problem with gmail is that you MUST use a secure connection, whereas I would like an option so the Inbox Monitor 2.8.0 panel applet would be able to notify me of incoming mail.

I might look for some tls patches, or if I ever am bored enough... hack the code myself.

Brandon Paddock

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #19 on: 10 March 2005, 07:11 »
I've always been very happy with my MSN/Hotmail accounts.  Granted, I never had to pay for MSN Premium (until next month anyway)... and I do prefer my company's Exchange e-mail server... But I still use my MSN e-mail now and then and for years it has never let me down.  The "Outlook Live" subscription is actually well worth the fee.  It's basically an Exchange account for the average user.  It integrates seamlessly with Outlook 2003 and syncs your mail, calendar, and contacts - and its accessible from any internet connection.  Very good stuff.
Cerebro - Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Lappy - Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
DevServer - Windows Server 2003 x64
RobTheRouter - FreeBSD 5.3

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #20 on: 10 March 2005, 14:30 »
Quote from: Brandon Paddock
I've always been very happy with my MSN/Hotmail accounts.  Granted, I never had to pay for MSN Premium (until next month anyway)... and I do prefer my company's Exchange e-mail server... But I still use my MSN e-mail now and then and for years it has never let me down.  The "Outlook Live" subscription is actually well worth the fee.  It's basically an Exchange account for the average user.  It integrates seamlessly with Outlook 2003 and syncs your mail, calendar, and contacts - and its accessible from any internet connection.  Very good stuff.

You're certainly joking... I moved from Hotmail to Yahoo! Mail when I was 15, because I was so sick and tired of their bullshit ads and inferior webmail system.

Brandon Paddock

« Reply #21 on: 11 March 2005, 10:21 »
Quote from: Refalm
You're certainly joking... I moved from Hotmail to Yahoo! Mail when I was 15, because I was so sick and tired of their bullshit ads and inferior webmail system.

What's inferior about it?  I get 2GB of storage on my MSN account, and 250MB on my older hotmail account that I still use from time to time.

Both (the free and non-free) get very effective spam filtering and virus scanning.  Hotmail is one of the only free webmail provider that never sold users' e-mail addresses to marketers (as opposed to AOL, Yahoo), and has exemplary service.  I've never experienced a service outage with Hotmail, and I've never once had a problem receiving messages immediately - a frequent problem for friends that use Yahoo (at least in the past).

Certainly all of the major webmail providers have improved a lot in the last year.  You say Yahoo has served you well, and I know many who are very happy with Gmail.  But I see no reason to rag on Hotmail.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #22 on: 11 March 2005, 11:33 »
What's inferior about it?  I get 2GB of storage on my MSN account, and 250MB on my older hotmail account that I still use from time to time.

Both (the free and non-free) get very effective spam filtering and virus scanning.  Hotmail is one of the only free webmail provider that never sold users' e-mail addresses to marketers (as opposed to AOL, Yahoo), and has exemplary service.  I've never experienced a service outage with Hotmail, and I've never once had a problem receiving messages immediately - a frequent problem for friends that use Yahoo (at least in the past).

Certainly all of the major webmail providers have improved a lot in the last year.  You say Yahoo has served you well, and I know many who are very happy with Gmail.  But I see no reason to rag on Hotmail.

Well, the whole system seemed very chaotic. Remember that I left 4 years ago, Hotmail has improved some now (TrendMicro virus scanning, better spam filtering, etc.).
But Yahoo! Mail and Gmail are still better (although Gmail doesn't have HTML e-mail creating and virus scanning). The interfaces are easier to use, and contain less bloat.
Just my opinion.

Brandon Paddock

« Reply #23 on: 11 March 2005, 11:48 »
Well, at least Hotmail only has text ads, unlike some of their competitors.  Indeed we have Google to thank for that revelation.

Still, my favorite thing about Hotmail remains the MSN Calendar + Outlook integration options.  Obviously they're not for everyone.  But it does come very close to giving you all the functionality of a hosted Exchange server, at a far, fary lower cost.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #24 on: 11 March 2005, 14:53 »
Well, at least Hotmail only has text ads, unlike some of their competitors.  Indeed we have Google to thank for that revelation.

Still, my favorite thing about Hotmail remains the MSN Calendar + Outlook integration options.  Obviously they're not for everyone.  But it does come very close to giving you all the functionality of a hosted Exchange server, at a far, fary lower cost.

Well, I haven't used Hotmail in two years now.

Btw, does Microsoft Exchange still only work with Outlook (Express)?

JanusChrist

• Kudos: 15
« Reply #25 on: 13 March 2005, 19:18 »
Well since this thread refuses to die, I figured I'd let you all know that in the time since I started this thread, I got a Gmail account (which trounces the ass off of Hotmail) and I use it with Thunderbird.

Nothing but blue skies...
On your way out of Microsoft Land feel free to smash a few Windows.

enjoijeff

« Reply #26 on: 15 March 2005, 07:12 »
Well this is my first post in probably a year, but I would like to say that Gmail is way easier to use than Hotmail. I have no idea what that Brandon guy is talking about. I remember my Hotmail account had like 2 big picture ads, not text ads. They might have changed that since...

The reply system on Gmail is way easier as it basically combines all the replies on to one page as if a conversation. Gmail also has one of the most advanced, if not the best, spam filters I have ever seen. It has been wrong once in the past 3 months, but the message had so many links that it could have been easily seen as spam if you didn't know better.

Does Hotmail have an e-mail search? Does Hotmail automatically save your contacts for future reference? Does Hotmail have an easy, uncomplex layout?

JanusChrist

• Kudos: 15
« Reply #27 on: 21 March 2005, 05:41 »
Quote from: enjoijeff
I remember my Hotmail account had like 2 big picture ads, not text ads. They might have changed that since...

Nope. Still big ugly picture ads. And they usually have ad bugs stuck to them.
On your way out of Microsoft Land feel free to smash a few Windows.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #28 on: 21 March 2005, 20:11 »
well, my gmail account gives me free secure pop3 access, which no other free webmail account has ever offered me, also, i am yet to receive one unsolicited email in there, hotmail was a spam magnet for me when i used it (i also quit 2 or 3 years ago now)