Author Topic: First post!! and its Word related  (Read 3319 times)

jwhf

• Kudos: 10
First post!! and its Word related
« on: 29 March 2005, 23:46 »
Hi

I have just bought a HP Laserjet 1320 printer and am having a problem with it in connection with Word.

When I go to print and select the number of copies to print, Word will only ever print 1 copy (whether I select 1 or however many) while in Excel or other programs it actually prints the number of copies selected. :confused: :mad:

I have spoken at length with HP and we have tried installing updated drivers etc and they, HP, are of the opinion that its a Word problem (seeing as the issue is only with Word and not any other applications). I cant find any reference to an issue of this wsort anywhere and figured that you ladies and gents were the peole for the job!

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this please? I am running Windows XP and Office XP - I know, I am sorry but I am running a small office network (3 people) and sadly dont have the choice to use anything else :mad:

Thanks in advance

JWHF

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
Re: First post!! and its Word related
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2005, 00:00 »
Tough luck. Learn to use a photocopier, or just print it multiple times.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2005, 00:25 »
This is NOT A MICROSOFT SUPPORT FORUM! we think MICROSOFT SUCKS and you should SWITCH TO ALTERNATIVES!

Why don't you try OpenOffice or AbiWord? They're a lot better and free too.

:fu: Microsoft!
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2005, 00:50 »
Quote from: jwhf
I have spoken at length with HP and we have tried installing updated drivers etc and they, HP, are of the opinion that its a Word problem (seeing as the issue is only with Word and not any other applications).

That would be my first thought too, as Microsoft products tend to be unreliable.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this please?

Don't use Word.

I know, I am sorry but I am running a small office network (3 people) and sadly dont have the choice to use anything else

If you're administrating such a small office, implementing, maintaining and training human resources for OpenOffice.org or WordPerfect will be a pretty easy compared to a somewhat larger organisation.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2005, 06:10 »
Abiword is nice, but fucked if your not living in the US, it lacks a UK English dictionary.

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2005, 07:15 »
Speaking of Word, enjoy this.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2005, 07:46 »
Make PDF's of what you want to print.   Then open them up with Acrobat Reader and print however many you want.

I had to use Word to write my dissertation, and it was a nightmare.  This trick was the only way I could get some things to print right.

See my webpage (http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12) for instructions on how to set up PDF generation using free (free of charge and free-as-in-speech) software.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2005, 08:16 »
I generally like Word, though I've started using Pages.  However, I've had some horrific experiences with it when editing large documents (100 pages or more), especially if they contain many equations, graphs, illustrations, and indexing.  

If working on a dissertation, and you're in a scientific field, LaTeX is really the best option from what I've seen.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2005, 13:51 »
Quote from: bedouin
If working on a dissertation, and you're in a scientific field, LaTeX is really the best option from what I've seen.

Definitely, that's something I need to start to get my head around pretty quickly. The GUI frontends are crappy.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

jwhf

« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2005, 21:55 »
Quote from: muzzy
Tough luck. Learn to use a photocopier, or just print it multiple times.

Yeah thanks for your really helpful comments there - really publicly spirited of you.

To those who gave helpful advice many thanks. I downloaded the openoffice as you suggested and lo and behold, same problem so bac k to the drawing board. Thanks again to those who tried to help

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2005, 22:20 »
Did you install it though? :D

Which OpenOffice programs did you have this problem with?

Writer?

Draw?

Calc?

Impress?

Dbase?

Math?

Which version did you download?

2.0 beta or 1.14?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

jwhf

« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2005, 23:13 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Did you install it though? :D

Which OpenOffice programs did you have this problem with?

Writer?

Draw?

Calc?

Impress?

Dbase?

Math?

Which version did you download?

2.0 beta or 1.14?

I installed the one they classified as 'stable' 1.1.4 and installed all the applications and, as with MS' office suite the problem only showed itself in the word processor.  So with that in mind will be going back to HP as I find it hard to believe that 2 different applications have the same fundamental flaw.

Oh well

Cheers again

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #12 on: 31 March 2005, 00:37 »
Obviously if your having the same problem then its not Openoffice or Microsoft Office, it is something else. My cousin had a similar problem, and guess what? HP Printer!

I suggest you do something like kidnap the CEO's daughter of HP (or son, wife, mother, whatever) and hold the ransom note to this...

"New drivers plz".

Try it in MSPaint, Notepad, Wordpad, you will probably have the same problem man.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 31 March 2005, 01:35 »
Anyway jwh,

I hope you give OpenOffice a fair try and you enjoy using it.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #14 on: 31 March 2005, 06:30 »
Quote from: bedouin

You won't get an argument from me.  LaTeX is good for non-technical papers too.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....