Author Topic: Muzzy, why does Windows rule?  (Read 10142 times)

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Re: Muzzy, why does Windows rule?
« Reply #75 on: 3 May 2005, 23:01 »
Do you know what? I've never really thought about it, I just acepted that valves are more linear than transistors.

That is perfectly true: valves are more linear than transistors. However, all too many folks latch onto that one fact and forget all about that output transformer. Linear valve + Nonlinear transformer= Nonlinear output. Valves also are low gain devices, so that there is insufficient open loop gain to linearize the transformer with inverse feedback. So a whole folklore grows up around these misconceptions, the marketing guys get hold of that, and the hype is lapped up like antifreeze at a petting zoo.

A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again.
-- Alexander Pope (1688-1744)

Nonlinear BJT + Inverse feedback + No output transformer= Linear output. It's really that simple.

Having said that nothing beats traveling wave tubes, klystrons and magnetrons in low noise high powered VHF and microwave amplifier and oscilator applications.

True: that's where "hollow state" beats solid state: RF applications.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #76 on: 3 May 2005, 23:10 »
I think it's time to get back on topic.

Windows is shit.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #77 on: 3 May 2005, 23:33 »
Quote from: jtpenrod
Do you know what? I've never really thought about it, I just acepted that valves are more linear than transistors.

That is perfectly true: valves are more linear than transistors. However, all too many folks latch onto that one fact and forget all about that output transformer. Linear valve + Nonlinear transformer= Nonlinear output. Valves also are low gain devices, so that there is insufficient open loop gain to linearize the transformer with inverse feedback. So a whole folklore grows up around these misconceptions, the marketing guys get hold of that, and the hype is lapped up like antifreeze at a petting zoo.

It's ok I understand I meant valve amplifiers in general, Valves alone are very linear, like you said it's lack of negative feedback due to their low gain and the output transformer being very non-linear that generally increases the distortion of valve amplifiers. Modern solid state amplifiers have a very high open gain despite the transistors are less linear than valves, the negitive  feedback caused by the high open loop gain reduces the distortion, and there's no output transformer to mess things up.

I'm sure a class B  valve amplifier (correct me if I'm wrong but valves lack crosover distortion so class AB isn't required) driving a high impedance loudspeaker for a load will have very low distortion, but it'd be bloody expensive and I bet you a cheaper modern solid state design could achieve similar performance.

Nonlinear BJT + Inverse feedback + No output transformer= Linear output. It's really that simple.

In fact the bigest non-linear element in modern audio systems is the loud speaker system, but these have improved a lot too.

Having said that nothing beats traveling wave tubes, klystrons and magnetrons in low noise high powered VHF and microwave amplifier and oscilator applications.

True: that's where "hollow state" beats solid state: RF applications.

I'd like to get my hands on some of these devices one day. :D
« Last Edit: 3 May 2005, 23:39 by Aloone_Jonez »
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

jtpenrod

• VIP
« Reply #78 on: 4 May 2005, 20:40 »
I'm sure a class B valve amplifier (correct me if I'm wrong but valves lack crosover distortion so class AB isn't required) driving a high impedance loudspeaker for a load will have very low distortion, but it'd be bloody expensive and I bet you a cheaper modern solid state design could achieve similar performance.

That's another unfortunate misconception. All active amplifiers show considerable nonlinearity at low currents, so all Class B amps have crossover distortion. They did try high impedance speakers in the late 1930s, however, I don't know what ever became of that.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: 4 May 2005, 21:08 »
As I'm only 23 I've only covered transistor and op-amp amplifers in the courses I've taken so far - apart from RF vacuum tubes are considered to be obsolete. I've obviously also picked up many myths about valves and valve amplifiers in general.

Is there anywhere I can read about valves and valve amplifiers that will debunk the most common myths?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

FIREFOX4ME

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #80 on: 4 May 2005, 23:09 »
I never learned how to spell or think for myself.
« Last Edit: 5 May 2005, 03:34 by skyman8081 »

Simon

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #81 on: 4 May 2005, 23:29 »
Once again, I'm having trouble understanding what I assume is your native tongue. Which grade did you fail?
Check out my blog!

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #82 on: 5 May 2005, 00:03 »
I think its more "How ever did he pass?"

Simon

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #83 on: 5 May 2005, 00:38 »
I blame the schools.
Check out my blog!

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: 5 May 2005, 01:34 »
Quote from: FIREFOX4ME
muzzy is a dick$uicing M$-WHORIiGb FUCKWatrd!

FuCk yOu kInnTarriO$ annnnDDDD $iMon i Aggree$ wiV fReFOX4me MUz$zY i$ a Di$cK$uck M$-HoReIDF$.

$oo r$ u$ Both Lik$ FuCk$ BiL$ GaayTe$ DiK$ u FuK$ MoRon$ FucK$ U$$ alL$$! :fu:
« Last Edit: 5 May 2005, 01:37 by Aloone_Jonez »

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #85 on: 5 May 2005, 02:17 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
FuCk yOu kInnTarriO$ annnnDDDD $iMon i Aggree$ wiV fReFOX4me MUz$zY i$ a Di$cK$uck M$-HoReIDF$.

$oo r$ u$ Both Lik$ FuCk$ BiL$ GaayTe$ DiK$ u FuK$ MoRon$ FucK$ U$$ alL$$! :fu:

Oh noes, attack of the killer nooblercakes:scared:
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #86 on: 5 May 2005, 04:39 »
i need a wank

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #87 on: 5 May 2005, 04:59 »
Quote from: kintaro
i need a wank
That woman in ur sig looks ready and willing for some hand on cock action. Go for it man, let her light up ur life:thumbup:
« Last Edit: 5 May 2005, 05:41 by BobTheHob »
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

jtpenrod

• VIP
« Reply #88 on: 5 May 2005, 05:24 »
Is there anywhere I can read about valves and valve amplifiers that will debunk the most common myths?

Design of Power Amps. He takes a very good, no bullshit approach to the subject.

Also, pay close attention to: Science and Subjectivism in Audio.. Here, he really gets to the core of the matter: cutting through all the hype and ignorance and misunderstanding.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: 5 May 2005, 13:10 »
Thanks jtpenrod, I'll have a read.:thumbup: