Author Topic: Explode  (Read 3125 times)

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
Re: Explode
« Reply #15 on: 2 April 2005, 08:55 »
Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the UI is done in C++, as opposed to XUL.

Application-skinning was a bad idea when announced, and it is still a terrible idea.

The top three rules of UI design: Consistency, Consistency, Consistency.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #16 on: 2 April 2005, 19:58 »
Quote from: skyman8081
Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the UI is done in C++, as opposed to XUL.

As XUL worked out so well for Mozilla and Firefox (extentions, os-independency, etc.) it had its share of problems in the beginnning.

I remember tweaking .jar files because some .xpi files installed wrongly into the chrome directory (either the user of all user one).

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #17 on: 2 April 2005, 21:49 »
However, you still are forcing a person to use a browser other than the one they use, just to view one site.  Firefox is great and al, but shouldn't it stand on its OWN merits, rather than your attempts to push it onto people?

100% different would be you NOT encouraging people to use a certain broswers, and not have anything of that like.

no, i still disagree with you (although i do take your point), because forcing people to use IE is not the same as forcing people not to use IE, even on an abstract level. there are dozens, scores, or even hundreds of browsers to choose from, and i think people should be forced to use any of them other than IE, as i said, just to redress the balance.

personally i think it should be between opera, konqueror, galeon, epiphany, mozilla and firefox, and maybe dillo and lynx too, BUT that's a matter of choice.

i have all the above browsers installed (except galeon and epiphany at the moment, but not for any reasons of issues i have with them) so i am not in any way trying to force the use of ONE and only one browser.

however IE is, and so are its maintainers.

This is a mono-browser position, and i have a multi-browser position, if you like.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
« Reply #18 on: 3 April 2005, 00:13 »
In future, html will be obsolete because computers will have power to render TeX or postscript on the fly ;)

Well, seriously speaking, it would help if the html and css specifications were a bit more specific than they are. A lot of things aren't specified at all, and in result different browsers render things differently. As a result, it doesn't matter what browser you use, you always lose anyway. If the specifications weren't so loose, we wouldn't have these browser issues. We could just say that browser X renders things wrong, and its not the site's fault. Now, it's up to interpretation in some cases...

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #19 on: 3 April 2005, 14:57 »
Quote from: muzzy
In future, html will be obsolete because computers will have power to render TeX or postscript on the fly ;)

As I said before, I believe XML will be the shit in the coming decade. It's easy, os independent, and is able do UI widgets that Microsoft is now trying to perform with the ever so bloated and mediocre ASP .NET.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #20 on: 3 April 2005, 21:20 »
I Think All Pages Will Be Bitmap Images In The Future Just To Make More People Buy Fasttt Interweb

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #21 on: 3 April 2005, 21:23 »

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #22 on: 3 April 2005, 22:48 »
How the hell?  I've never seen anyone get that far.  Usually it gets to "locating updates" and stops.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #23 on: 3 April 2005, 22:55 »

Application-skinning was a bad idea when announced, and it is still a terrible idea.

The top three rules of UI design: Consistency, Consistency, Consistency.

skyman8081: "Consistency, consistency, consistency."
Ballmer: "Developers, developers, developers."
Gates: "Richness, richness, richness."
Me: "Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit."

Sorry I had to.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
« Reply #24 on: 4 April 2005, 03:11 »
I use crossoffice too. I can use the fallowing software with no problem not because I need them but just to see if I can.
All these programs are  .exes.
The apps with no comments work with out  problems.

-OfficeXP (Access, PP, Word, Excell, FP, all work fine).
-Outlook
-WMP (it shits on it self when you launch it)
-AIM
-DevC++ - http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html-
-IE6
-Steam (some issues with how the GUI responds).
-Visual Studio 6
-Paint Shop pro (major issues with how graphics are displayed)
-Adobe Phtoshop 7
-Quicktime player
-Netscape for windows
-Real Player 8 (Later versions just crap out).
-Tried tinyfirewall. It installs but it then craps out when you launch it.
-DirectX can be installed if you copy some of the files from your original windows install.
-Winamp (locks X big time and you need to restart X).
« Last Edit: 4 April 2005, 08:34 by Bazoukas »
Yeah

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #25 on: 4 April 2005, 15:20 »
It gets far because I have crossover office professional.