Author Topic: File transfer using unix shell  (Read 1182 times)

hnugz

• Kudos: 0
File transfer using unix shell
« on: 9 April 2005, 23:18 »
At my school on the windows machines we have this program called SSH tectia client.  I love that program.  It's easy to setup and use but most importantly for me, it has a file manager which allows me to easily drag and drop files on my current machine to the machine im connected to using the shell.

On my laptop, I only have knoppix running.  I am able to connect and do what I need to do using a standard shell but I can't figure out how to transfer files.  FTP doesn't seem to be allowed.  Is there a program that comes with linux that would act in the same way that the tectia client does?  Or are there simple commands I don't know about to transfer files?  Thanks.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Re: File transfer using unix shell
« Reply #1 on: 9 April 2005, 23:38 »
In short, yes.  :)

If you want to work from the command line, use the "sftp" program.  It handles like the classic ftp client.  

If you want the easy drag and drop graphical kind of client, go with gftp, which does both SFTP and old FTP.  In the upper right corner is a pull down box which defaults to FTP.  Just change it to SSH2.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2005, 00:10 »
You can also use scp for a simple file copy.

eg:

Code: [Select]
$ scp [email protected]:/home/user/file.jpg .

Would copy /home/user/file.jpg on 192.168.1.14 to the current directory.

Similarly:

Code: [Select]
$ scp file.jpg [email protected]:/home/user/file.jpg

Would copy file.jpg from the current directory to /home/user/file.jpg on 192.168.1.14.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2005, 04:48 »
I know there's a way with KDE or Gnome or some other GUI but I'm sorry I've forgotten. :(
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2005, 18:46 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I know there's a way with KDE or Gnome or some other GUI but I'm sorry I've forgotten. :(

You can use fish://[email protected] with Konqueror.
Contains scenes of mild peril.