Author Topic: Sorry to tell you, Firefox isn't perfect either.  (Read 2448 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: Sorry to tell you, Firefox isn't perfect either.
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2005, 01:03 »
No piece of software is perfect, at least with FireFox we can easily find out what bugs have been discovered, we don't know how many flaws still exist in Microsoft Internet Explorer, Netscape Communicator, Safari or even Opera for that matter.

This makes me wonder, of the amount of people who go around promoteing the browser, how many actually get there shins dirty and help fix the bugs?

The why doesn't someone like yourself or any other decent coder get off their fat arse and fix the bloody bugs then?

I would, but I'm a complete C newb.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2005, 01:10 »
well, we all know that firefox really isnt that great, its just that its freeware and it works without getting your system infected is why its soo poopular. (note, note the spelling)

and that's why Opera rulez, because it's the best and has the fewest bugs, and is the fastest.

Mr X

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2005, 01:24 »
Quote from: MrX
well, we all know that firefox really isnt that great, its just that its freeware and it works without getting your system infected is why its soo poopular.

Well FireFox isn't freeware it's free software, Opera is freeware and addware, or you can get the non-addware payware version.

poopular.
 (note, note the spelling)

Haa haa haaa haaaa LLOL LOL LOL Opera RooLS FIerFoz droolz!

and that's why Opera rulez, because it's the best and has the fewest bugs, and is the fastest.

Read may last post again, we don't know how many bugs Opera has. I'm sorry for not pointing out the obvious reason why we know about most of the bugs in FireFox and not in Opera, it's because FireFox is open source and as Opera is closed source I'd wager a bet that more than half the bugs are secrete. Opera might even more bugs than FireFox and be less secure than FireFox for all we know and because it's less popular virus writers are far less likely to take advantage of the exploits.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2005, 03:45 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez

Read may last post again, we don't know how many bugs Opera has. I'm sorry for not pointing out the obvious reason why we know about most of the bugs in FireFox and not in Opera, it's because FireFox is open source and as Opera is closed source I'd wager a bet that more than half the bugs are secrete. Opera might even more bugs than FireFox and be less secure than FireFox for all we know and because it's less popular virus writers are far less likely to take advantage of the exploits.

Also, the Mozilla foundation posted bounties for finding bugs in Firefox.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2005, 09:59 »
No piece of software is perfect, at least with FireFox we can easily find out what bugs have been discovered, we don't know how many flaws still exist in Microsoft Internet Explorer, Netscape Communicator, Safari or even Opera for that matter.

The why doesn't someone like yourself or any other decent coder get off their fat arse and fix the bloody bugs then?

I would, but I'm a complete C newb.

i would but i know an entire line of c

include

lol, all i gotta do is learn more then 1 line :scared:

PERL WAS HARD ENOUGH TO PARTLY LEARN FFS :nothappy:
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2005, 14:54 »
Quote from: solemnwarning
i would but i know an entire line of c

include

Sorry to tell you, that's not C, so you don't know a single line of C :)

After you add # to the beginning, you could say it's "C" because syntactically it'd be correct C, however semantically it's still not C. That's because C doesn't have "iostream" library, C++ has.

So, the correct line would be C++, and it'd look like this:
#include

Fixing bugs isn't always simple, and "fixes" might have unintended consequences if they're written by people who don't know what they're doing. And in this case, you'd have to understand more than just the lowlevel code involved. There aren't that many people who could just go ahead and fix it, and be confident that the fix is good.

Also, from a non-programmer point of view a lot of people might seem "decent coders" even when they're not qualified for the task. Programming is tough, and it takes years to learn the basics and then years more to learn practical stuff and few more years to become "decent". Yea, you could learn some basics in few days or weeks, but that doesn't count in a real world case.

Oh, and the opensource/closedsource crap and "we know about most of the bugs in FireFox and not in Opera", this just isn't true. You likely define bug as "known bug". So, yea, we know about the known bugs, since the bug tracking database is open. However, regarding code quality and unfound bugs (which still are bugs), nobody knows and you can't make any wild claims based on open/closedsource. Bugs are typically not found by reading source either, they're found because of unexpected and wrong behaviour.

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2005, 22:14 »

I think there's only one big bug in IE, and we all know where it lies.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2005, 00:59 »
So, yea, we know about the known bugs, since the bug tracking database is open.

The bug tracking database for closed sourced programs is closed, this is my exact point. Because the bug tracking system for Opera is secret we don't know how may flaws have already been discovered in Opera.

Notice the word discovered in my first reply muzzy?
discovered.

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2005, 03:11 »
oops. no, i didn't notice it :D

sorry :)

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2005, 06:55 »

After you add # to the beginning, you could say it's "C" because syntactically it'd be correct C, however semantically it's still not C. That's because C doesn't have "iostream" library, C++ has.

So, the correct line would be C++, and it'd look like this:
#include

Actually, it isn't C/C++ either. It's preprocessor code, which is a whole 'nother code entirely, and operated on by a different app, not the compiler.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

JanusChrist

• Kudos: 15
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2005, 05:11 »
Firefox might not be perfect, but it's damn close.
On your way out of Microsoft Land feel free to smash a few Windows.

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2005, 05:58 »
well, we all know that firefox really isnt that great, its just that its freeware and it works without getting your system infected is why its soo poopular. (note, note the spelling)

Mr X
I used to use opera, hell, I even started an anti-firefox/pro-opera thread on another forum awhile back. Although, Firefox is now >*. Opera used to pwn, until firefox extensions took off. Now there is no stopping firefox, firefox now has more features than opera ever had or ever will. If you have firefox, this is the greatest URL you will ever see, if ya don't have it go install it.
Look, look, and see the purity that is the firefox extension system, muwhahaaahaahahaahahahahahaaaaa
https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox
« Last Edit: 26 April 2005, 06:02 by BobTheHob »
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2005, 10:34 »
Opera is still a lot bigger than FireFox because it has more features, and bigger software often has more bugs as there's more room for them. So even if we don't know how many bugs Opera has I wager a bet that it has more than FireFox, and that many pose a security threat.

FireFox still has plenty of room for improvement though. I'd like them to add a zoom feature as good as Opera's and the crappy FireFox download manager won't let you pause downloads then restart FireFox and resume them, or if the Internet connection fails you loose your download too and this simply isn't the case with Opera.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #14 on: 26 April 2005, 23:08 »
Opera is a 3.6MB Windows download.  It's actually smaller than Firefox.

Hence, Opera is on my strict list of modern non-bloated software.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez