Author Topic: Why after...  (Read 2283 times)

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
Re: Why after...
« Reply #15 on: 21 April 2005, 22:24 »
Your computer is most likely saturated with malicious Spyware. Installing Microsoft's Anti Spyware is probably a good idea.

Click Here
:)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #16 on: 21 April 2005, 22:35 »
I'm partial to Ad-Aware on that regard...http://www.lavasoft.de
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

toadlife

« Reply #17 on: 21 April 2005, 22:52 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
toadlife,
This is an anti-Microsoft forum and it's againts the forum rules to help people with Microsoft products because it doesn't help our cause.

It's a childish rule that reaks of elitism, and it will only hurt your cause.  Helping the person to solve his problem, and then suggesting alternatives (Firefox, Linux, etc) to help prevent the problem in the future will help your cause more than alienating people with a "RTFM" attitude.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #18 on: 21 April 2005, 23:04 »
Well you haven't read the Forum Rules when you first signed up, asking questions about Microsoft products is considered to be trolling which is also against the forum Forum Rules. Nut to be honest I haven't given this much thought because I think you do have a point. The last thing we want to do is turn this into a Microsoft product support forum, so I think we should offer alternatives first, because if someone it having a problem with IE and we recommend FireFox and they try it and it works then we've succeded in our goal. But if we were to tell them how to fix it and then tell them about FireFox and they didn't even bother to read the post then we would've failed.

Do not post troll posts. Troll posts include:

* requesting assistance with Microsoft products (example: "Someone deleted my Internet Explorer, and now I can't Internet. How do I fix it?")
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #19 on: 21 April 2005, 23:11 »
Quote from: toadlife
Come on guys. This is such a simple issue. I can't believe none of you can answer the posters question...

To clear the auto-complete, just do this from IE:

Tools > Internet Options > Content > Auto Complete > Clear Forms > Clear Passwords

You can also check the boxes to keep IE from doing auto complete in the future.

Why use IE in the first place?

Also, I, the administrator, has been kind enough to answer some Windows-related questions, because I fucking hate spyware and the dirty money that's being made by those people.
But this is an anti-Microsoft forum. Why people keep asking questions about Microsoft products here is really beyond my understanding.

toadlife

« Reply #20 on: 22 April 2005, 00:35 »
Quote from: Refalm

That's a good question. I haven't used it in years, and always recommend the people don't use IE.

Also, I, the administrator, has been kind enough to answer some Windows-related questions, because I fucking hate spyware and the dirty money that's being made by those people.
But this is an anti-Microsoft forum. Why people keep asking questions about Microsoft products here is really beyond my understanding.

Maybe because people assume that members here have dealt with Microsoft problems, and will know what to do about them - after all, they are anti-microsoft. As a person who is in an admin position, you should know that hardly anyone bothers to reads rules/notices they receive.

My point about the rule being stupid is that if you leave a bad taste in someones mouth by giving them the finger when they ask for help, they will not be very open to anything else you have to say.

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #21 on: 22 April 2005, 02:21 »

They want us to tell them to switch to an actual, working OS?

I'm beginning to think we need a page on convincing non-computer types to ditch Windows.
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #22 on: 22 April 2005, 18:22 »
Quote from: toadlife
As a person who is in an admin position, you should know that hardly anyone bothers to reads rules/notices they receive.

My point about the rule being stupid is that if you leave a bad taste in someones mouth by giving them the finger when they ask for help, they will not be very open to anything else you have to say.

all very wise.

some of us are still sick of it though, and i think that some way should be activated to make people more AWARE of this rule.

perhaps a few annoying javascript popup boxes should be displayed when they sign up, that they have to click on to get out of, perhaps it should say in huge 28 point tahoma across the screen not to ask about microsoft questions. perhaps everybody who has posted less than 12 times should get a javascript popup box when they log in reminding them not to ask about microsoft support questions.

i don't know, but it *is* a continuing bone of contention.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

DuhBlondie

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #23 on: 22 April 2005, 18:52 »
But this is an anti-Microsoft forum. Why people keep asking questions about Microsoft products here is really beyond my understanding.[/QUOTE]

Hello! This is my first posting here and I am glad that I came across this topic as I have been researching ways to improve the finctionality of my piece of crap computer that is "controlled" by XP and have been unsuccessful at finding much that is even remotely useful by pro xp sites.  Like many people I have XP because I know nothing else. I have noticed that on these forums that Linux people talk to Widows users as if they totally understand or can grasp the concept of dramatically changing their computer system by changing to Linux without not being knowledable when it comes to these sort of things. To you guys this sort of thing is second nature, but given that Windows users like me are still using a system that is dysfunctional can probably be compared to a battered wife who stays because she is intimidated or afraid of change.....The right thing to do is change but sometimes it just takes baby steps.......
I say all this because I have found that MS tech support and website SUCK and I can never find the information I need. I found more valuable advice at sites like this one and by reading all the information available I am now becomming a few steps (but not much yet) to changing my electronic life by ditching Windows..
Look at it this way. By helping MS users like me it gives you an even larger platform to expose MS's sneaky little ways. If you only want to deal with people who use other OS then why name yourself Microsuck. Obviously other OS users are aware that MS sucks and you are only preaching to the choir. I guess you do not realize what a disservice you are doing to MS just by providing information that they should be providing for their users but do not because they feel they own your computer (and do in a way) and see no fault by talking to you as if you were a small child and tell you only what they want you to know. I know I paid good money for upgrades and such, yet I am at their mercy if I rely soley on their support services and cannot use a disc I PAID for to work the way I need it to work!  Sends a powerful message to me!
Sorry to babble. Just wanted you to see how your assistance benefits your cause and is appreciated by the inexperinced like myself.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #24 on: 22 April 2005, 21:18 »
i agree with you, but you seem to have missed my point, even though you do make several good points of your own.

there is a difference between helping somebody to get their windows machine working and helping them switch to a better choice of system. if people post here asking how to fix up their shitty windows systems then it simply wastes everybody's time, and that makes me quite angry.

if people genuinely ask how to GET RID of microsoft's products, either applications or systems and replace them with alternatives, then that is EXACTLY what this site is about.

TOO MANY times have i seen people asking for fixes to problems they are having with microsoft products. these people cannot complain about ANY answer they get because they shouldn't be wasting our time with that rubbish in the first place. The fact that people helpfully suggest installing linux instead simply shows that some people *are* willing to give a bit of attention to these misguided individuals!

i do take your point, but if somebody is not willing to switch from microsoft products to alternative software, then they do NOT deserve the attention or help of anyone here.

now to quote Void Main:
"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #25 on: 22 April 2005, 21:47 »
I really think that a switch-to-a-real-OS section on Microsuck.com would be a good thing. Many people have heard of Linux, but do not yet truly believe. All they need i one more person or trustwrthy site to tell them why exactly Linux is better than the MS BSOD, with a flickering OS in between. Why switch, where to get your new sowtware, what you need to have if you're switching, where you can go for detailed installation instructions. Mentioning Live-CDs and dual-boot systems wouldn't hurt either.
People just need somebody to tell them they do have wings and how to flap them a little bit before they can take off themselves. And I can't imagine a better site for that other than Microsuck. Apart from whylinuxwhattodoandwheretogetit.com.
I myself am now manually bending the minds of about four or five people, telling them to take the plunge. If I had a good concise website to send them to, it'd make the persuasion much easier. (BTW two of them are well on the way)

Other than that, I do not see a reason not to help poor Tastycakes. Even though I'm not the right person to ask, and I personally don't understand just WHY somebody would ask such a question on DON'TASKUSABOUTMS.COM

DuhBlondie

« Reply #26 on: 22 April 2005, 23:10 »
Quote from: Calum
i agree with you, but you seem to have missed my point, even though you do make several good points of your own.

there is a difference between helping somebody to get their windows machine working and helping them switch to a better choice of system. if people post here asking how to fix up their shitty windows systems then it simply wastes everybody's time, and that makes me quite angry.

if people genuinely ask how to GET RID of microsoft's products, either applications or systems and replace them with alternatives, then that is EXACTLY what this site is about.

TOO MANY times have i seen people asking for fixes to problems they are having with microsoft products. these people cannot complain about ANY answer they get because they shouldn't be wasting our time with that rubbish in the first place. The fact that people helpfully suggest installing linux instead simply shows that some people *are* willing to give a bit of attention to these misguided individuals!

i do take your point, but if somebody is not willing to switch from microsoft products to alternative software, then they do NOT deserve the attention or help of anyone here.

now to quote http://voidmain.kicks-ass.net/" target=_blank>Void Main:

I thought this was a site was set up in part to inform people of the BS that MS spews and spread the word that there are other options. I imagine that would attract disgruntled Windows users more than people who are on an alternative OS and would not care that Windows stores hidden history files etc. Although this forum is intended for the alternative sect or people who are seriously considering switching, you are going to have to expect the annoying and sometimes time consuming questions. You have to realize that not too many intelligent people are going to switch overnight. They are going to want to fix whatever they can before taking such drastic steps regardless that switching systems may be the rational choice to many in the know. Face it, part of the problem with MS is that you cannot get the support you actually need more than half the time. So we come to places titled microsuck hoping to find a kindred spirt. My point before was although this forum isn't set up for helpful hints and advice for windows it is a good platform to persuade people to look into other systems if that is an agenda to anyone. Listen, people like me are not that savvy and need people who are to advise us. It may be that people may not be willing to switch because they do not have the resources, financial or otherwise, to take what they consider a risk. Thats why we post and/or visit here.
As far as "complaining" about an answer, well that is just plain rude. They need to learn more than about OS's and such and focus more on manners. But this is the internet after all. Just ignore them.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #27 on: 22 April 2005, 23:15 »
well thereare already several million linux websites with all sorts of beginner type howtos for various distros and hardware of all kinds, how could it be any better by adding one more covering ground that has already been covered?

just one opinion, i am sure...

DuhBlondie

« Reply #28 on: 22 April 2005, 23:23 »
Quote from: Calum
well thereare already several million linux websites with all sorts of beginner type howtos for various distros and hardware of all kinds, how could it be any better by adding one more covering ground that has already been covered?

just one opinion, i am sure...

If someone is willing to answer questions then why not? Attract more visitors. If this is a legit site then at least people will get advice without an agenda. Not many of those sort of sites around if you think about it.