Author Topic: fun things to do with windows XP  (Read 3468 times)

Faust

• Kudos: 0
fun things to do with windows XP
« Reply #15 on: 14 June 2003, 11:34 »
Possibly a bit over the top there Suselinux.
But I get your point - it is annoying when the occasional person comes along and says "I wan't it to do this" when it can.  Oh and "free as in freedom."  I paid good money for Debian because I like it so much, and I intend to continue doing so.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #16 on: 14 June 2003, 23:10 »
if somebody thinks dreamweaver is the only GUI html creation tool in existence (and will not hear otherwise) then you are limited in your options as to what you can tell them.

just content yourself with the knowledge that they will be first against the wall come the revolution.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kupotek

• http://kupotek.dyndns.org
« Reply #17 on: 15 June 2003, 01:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:

just content yourself with the knowledge that they will be first against the wall come the revolution.

ROFL
"The only thing that is impossible is the possibility of impossibility" KittySafe Ntwrk.

SAJChurchey

• http://sajchurchey.htmlplanet.com
« Reply #18 on: 16 June 2003, 23:15 »
Actually Gyach is a good Yahoo! chat client, and GAIM is an awesome IM program that encompasses all the major protocols, including IRC.
SAJChurchey                    

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #19 on: 17 June 2003, 03:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by usr/bin/maniaman:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7. Adobe Photoshop
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Gimp.

ROFLMFAO!!!! No serious graphics designer will use The Gimp over Adobe Photoshop. The GIMP just isn't nearly as powerful of a tool as Photoshop.

Has the GIMP ever got CMYK algorithms support yet? I know the version that comes with MAndrake 9.1 doesn't support CMYK. That there alone is enough to say The GIMP is not a professional quality graphics tool.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #20 on: 17 June 2003, 04:37 »
I can say I think the GIMP is pretty good for RGB graphics. But for serious "for print" work? No way.

It is really nice, for freeware. Id say it's at least as powerfull as PS 4.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

neo_x500

• http://www.burgerking.com
« Reply #21 on: 17 June 2003, 10:09 »
quote:
Well, if you are one of those who are sick of XP being such a resource hog, you can do what I did.
Setup progman.exe and copy it to your windows folder.

Then goto your registry to location:

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

and change shell from Explorer.exe to Progman.exe

Make sure Progman.exe is in your windows folder, cos in XP it is in system32 by default.

--------------------

Or a better idea, you could pop in a boot disk, and type format C: in a command line. Trust me, it will make win xp stop using ALL the resources on your computer. Then after you do that, get linux
Je suis une omlette du fromage.
(I am a cheese omlette)

emh

« Reply #22 on: 17 June 2003, 17:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emiko:

7. Adobe Photoshop

Run it in Codeweavers Crossover Office:

http://www.codeweavers.com

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #23 on: 17 June 2003, 22:14 »
quote:
emh: Run it in Codeweavers Crossover Office:

http://www.codeweavers.com

Let me remind you that some people don't have a credit card, and won't pay for some "look-I-can-run-Windoze-programs-in-Linux" program...

emh

« Reply #24 on: 18 June 2003, 07:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:

Let me remind you that some people don't have a credit card, and won't pay for some "look-I-can-run-Windoze-programs-in-Linux" program...

And let me remind you that some people will come to Linux already owning a copy of Photoshop, and if they can run it in Linux, why not just continue to use it?

Don't get me wrong, GIMP will serve most users' needs, and it's my first recommendation to anyone that asks.  Some people might use picture editing programs sparingly (like MS Paint or even Photoshop), and would have no problem adjusting to using GIMP instead.  Others, for whatever reason, think Photoshop is the only program they can use to do what they do (whether that is really the case or not is always up for debate.  I can't really comment on it because I've never used Photoshop, and I don't use GIMP very often).  

The argument has been made that if someone wants to continue using Windows programs, they should just keep using Windows.  I, however, tend to think that even if Windows programs are run in Linux, the fact is, they are running in an operating system far less likely to crash or freeze than any version of Windows, and they are less likely to lose their work.

I've made a bit of a speech about it before on the Mandrake Users' board.  I know I hold the minority opinion in this case, but that's just my two cents on the issue.  Especially in the case of Photoshop, just from this board, that seems to be the one thing that keeps people from trying Linux.  Don't get me wrong, Linux natives should be used if they exist (and 99.9% of the time, they do exist), but some people are too lazy to change, and if they are willing to at least lose the Microsoft OS part of their computing world, that's a huge step in the right direction.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

3xpl0it

« Reply #25 on: 7 July 2003, 02:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by Faust:

Xine is better, you just know it :-P

right but mplayer is better then xine, you just know it  ;)
DAyttttttt dagilinnnnnnnn...ACin Turkiye nin onunuuuuuuuuuu....

Faust

« Reply #26 on: 5 August 2003, 16:33 »
quote:

Has the GIMP ever got CMYK algorithms support yet?

Yes.  New version poo poo head.

HA HA HA!!!  EMIKO IS A REAL PERSON!!!
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

bigsleep

« Reply #27 on: 5 August 2003, 19:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by Laukev7:

How to crash your computer:

Open file://c:\con\con in Windows Explorer.

Result garanteed.    :D  

That didn't do anything here, apparently you need IE4. Running IE4 on Win95 is completely idiotic.

TheKnifeThrower

« Reply #28 on: 5 August 2003, 19:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:

Who said they had to pay for it?

3eyes

« Reply #29 on: 6 August 2003, 11:21 »
So, Faust didn't just make you up........  ;)  

I've heard Photoshop 7 and it's predecessors will run great in plain old Wine. Just google "Photoshop Wine Linux" and you'll find out how to configure it for it (which is easier than it sounds). Same with Dreamweaver.

And to give Linux a whirl before you install it try Knoppix.

[ August 06, 2003: Message edited by: 3eyes ]

"Microsoft is a marketing company, not a software company" - Bill Gates

"I don't really support piracy but I am dead serious about consumer rights" - bwid_s_01