Author Topic: Apple may use Intel chips...  (Read 1287 times)

mc0282

• Kudos: 0
Apple may use Intel chips...
« on: 24 May 2005, 08:10 »
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-5716580.html

man, only problem I have with APPLE is there damn machines are so expensive...
They need to think about the companies future and IPOD is not going to keep them alive forever you know.

hopefully they would use AMD too haha  ;)
huh, what?

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
Re: Apple may use Intel chips...
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2005, 12:12 »
There's an AMD CPU in Airport; the iPod uses an ARM CPU.  Some Macs have Intel gigabit ethernet chipsets (and maybe even USB).  Intel makes a lot of other 'chips' aside from CPUs.

Do you realize how demanding it was for software manufactures to make the switch from OS 9 to OS X?  Do you think Adobe, Macromedia, and Microsoft are going to jump at an opportunity to recompile all their software for X86 CPUs?  Do you think people are going to repurchase all their software again for a new architecture?  Do you think Mac users could actually tolerate any of the streaming hot, high power consuming, CPUs Intel or AMD has to offer?  PPC is just fine.

As for expense, I don't know what price Apple has to lower themselves to before people quit whining.  It seems like some people are just begging them to release a third-rate piece of garbage, which would end up harming their bottom line in the long run (remember the Performas?)  If Apple released a $200 machine people would still bitch that some obscure Chinese reseller is offering blah blah blah, for $150.

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2005, 12:27 »
I am not impressed. One would hope they follow this up with an x86 version of OS X.
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2005, 18:33 »
You will not get OSX on the x86. The only people who want it are pc nerds who want a cheap mac. Macs are quality because Apple has such a tight grip on their hardware. Why would they just throw that away for a handful of pc users? In the end, what you end up with is a bunch of pissed of PC users who didn't get their cheap macs, and pissed of Apple loyalists, who do not want to see their platform change. If anything, I would see more people switching to PPC. Even microsoft is using PPC in their new xbox. Same Windows kernel right? Now on ppc?

The price, to me, is justified. I have 2 macs at home now, and I have never been happier using a computer :)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2005, 18:37 »
Quote from: xyle_one
Same Windows kernel right? Now on ppc?

Isn't that hard. The first Windows NT was also made for PPC.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2005, 18:39 »
http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/
PearPC is an architecture-independent PowerPC platform emulator capable of    running most PowerPC operating systems.
I know it's not the same but what the hell.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2005, 18:41 »
Quote from: Refalm
Isn't that hard. The first Windows NT was also made for PPC.

That's true. I had forgotten about that.

I would be curious to see XP running on some dual G5s...

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2005, 11:10 »
sgfasdhflaskhdflksjhdflkashdf

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2005, 21:05 »
Quote from: kintaro
sgfasdhflaskhdflksjhdflkashdf

Kintaro, what purpose does this post serve?

Is it just to boost your post count? :D
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu: