Author Topic: Internet Explorer is NOT a webbrowser  (Read 2500 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: Internet Explorer is NOT a webbrowser
« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2005, 12:50 »
Quote from: muzzy
Firefox isn't any more secure than IE, you'll learn it soon enough now that it's becoming popular and more worthwhile to attack. It's equally vulnerable, just less profitable target. The latter is changing, the former is staying.

The very fact that IE uses ActiveX controls makes it more vunerable.

SVG support in IE would be really nice, though. I'd love that.

You can download an add-on to use SVGs in IE but I'm not going to show you as I'd be breaking the forum rules by helping someone with a Microsoft product. :p

Oh, and activeX could in theory be secure, too, but that's only theory. Wanna bet microsoft will reimplement the whole activex deal with .NET, and it'll actually be secure this time?

Well we'll just have to see about how secure ActiveX is under .NET when they release it. Hopefully if IE's market share is low enough people won't bother using ActiveX controls on their websites anyway - they'll be replace by the far superior Javascript applets.

Hang on, if ActiveX will be implemented under .NET and .NET will be portable does this mean that ActiveX controls will no longer be IE only?

If Microsoft really wants to make ActiveX controls on the web a success then they'll have to become multi-platform even if the developer tools remain Windows only.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2005, 12:53 »
Implementing activex-like technology using .NET would mean that it gets multiplatform, yes. Basically, it'd be a total java killer :)

Oh, and merely add-on being available isn't a very good option from a webdesigner's point of view. Nobody wants to install extra crap for a mere website to function, so people will just not view the site.

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2005, 13:51 »
Implementing activex-like technology using .NET would mean that it gets multiplatform, yes. Basically, it'd be a total java killer :)

Oh, and merely add-on being available isn't a very good option from a webdesigner's point of view. Nobody wants to install extra crap for a mere website to function, so people will just not view the site.
Excuse me, but I don't think other devs actually want the scourge that is activeHex in their products.
Also, Java owns activeHex's ass. Sun is a good company, I trust Sun, I love Solaris. Sun puts their shit on other platforms, microHardFallus is trash. Whenever I find a business that only supports IE, no matter how good a deal i could get, i take my business elseware. If it was an important point of business, I usually send a generic letter to the business stating that they just lost my and my clients business because of their lacking support.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2005, 13:57 by BobTheHob »
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2005, 17:01 »
Oh by the way muzzy I've forgotten something:
Firefox isn't any more secure than IE, you'll learn it soon enough now that it's becoming popular and more worthwhile to attack. It's equally vulnerable, just less profitable target. The latter is changing, the former
is staying.

This is why IE is less secure than FireFox:

Source: the US-CERT agian.
IE is integrated into Windows to such an extent that vulnerabilities in IE frequently provide an attacker significant access to the operating system.

FireFox is separate to the operating system, this makes it a lot safer.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2005, 17:36 »
Microsoft should ditch Internet Explorer and ship Windows with Firefox.
They could even develop Firefox and (I think) write their name on it, but they'd have to at least release the changes they make to the code to the public (which isn't alot to ask).

Well I think that's what they should do, but it'll never happen 'cause they're such greedy bastards.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.