Author Topic: Bad FireFox Hole  (Read 3803 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Bad FireFox Hole
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2005, 22:11 »
Quote from: muzzy
Yea, power of free software. Just like "fixing" bugs so that same function gets rewritten 3 times, each patch not really fixing the problem but merely protecting against the specific exploit, when it's a critical vulnerability such as remote crash bug in linux kernel related to packet fragmentation. Microsoft sometimes does that too, but don't go touting about power of free software when even critical bugs can take damned long time to fix, and they STILL haven't patched several remote crash bugs in FireFox. Hell, there are heaps of open bugs which have been around for years and known by everyone. Nobody's just bothering to fix them. Power of free software my ass.
Holy shit.
The damn thing is FIXED! Stop crying, just 'cause the Firefox dev's are faster at fixing security vunerabilities than MS.
As soon as that vunerability was noticed and revealed, hundreds (I'd say) of programmers looked through some of the Firefox code to fix it. They did. Fast.

And don't tell me "oh well the quality of these programmers skills are questionable", I know it is. As are the MS programmers. We all know that Firefox is better than Internet Explorer, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. In my mind, it's safe enough to assume that the Firefox dev's are better than the Internet Explorer dev's.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

skyman8081

• VIP
  • Kudos: 187
    • http://sauron.game-host.org/
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2005, 22:20 »
Are you actually implying that the availibility of source code makes a peice of software inherently better?

In practince, yes, many time OSS packages are in fact better than their proprietary counterparts.  However, this does not mean that a peice of software is somehow "better", ONLY because it is open source.  This would mean that the GPL licensed KDE/Qt is magically better than when it is released under a commercial license.
2 motherfuckers have sigged me so far.  Fuck yeah!

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2005, 22:30 »
Quote from: skyman8081
Are you actually implying that the availibility of source code makes a peice of software inherently better?
No I am not. I'm saying that:
Quote from: what_I_said
As soon as that vunerability was noticed and revealed, hundreds (I'd say) of programmers looked through some of the Firefox code to fix it. They did. Fast.
EDIT: And the availabilty of the source code probably and more than likely speeded up the fixing process, at least on this occasion.

EDIT: Please read my other post again.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2005, 03:30 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
The damn thing is FIXED! Stop crying, just 'cause the Firefox dev's are faster at fixing security vunerabilities than MS.

If you only look at the incidents that you choose, you won't get very interesting view. As an example to counter your silly little view, I present you a bug that's been reported over two years ago, is marked critical, crashes the browser, and testcase is available:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=202765

See the bug live in here, tested against latest firefox:

http://muzzy.net/ffcrash/crash.xml

So, where are the "hundreds" of programmers now? Oh, it's not an issue because it hasn't been publicized in any magazine?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2005, 13:18 »
That's not that critical in my opinion. So what the browser crashes, it's more of an inconvenience than anything, it's not like it crashes the whole system or allows a hacker to compromise the system or allow some executable code to run.

I do take your point though, this should've been fixed years ago.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2005, 13:47 »
If you only look at the incidents that you choose
[sarcasm]Oh ok, so HE is the one doing that all the time, i could have sworn it was you[/sarcasm]
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2005, 14:14 »
http://muzzy.net/ffcrash/crash.xml
That's the first time ever that Mozilla crashed on me.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2005, 15:15 »
Same here.

Unlike Internet Explorer which often crashes for no reason.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2005, 15:56 »
And muzzy, of course Firefox will have it's bugs. As will Internet Explorer. The only difference is that the Firefox bugs, fixed and not-fixed, are publicly availabe. That's why you can rumage through the bug database and craft some amount of pages that take advantage of these (publicly available) bugs, to try to undermine it's stability. EDIT: And that is what you did do. Those crashes were no accident, if they were, I might get worried (not).

Could you imagine if Microsoft released a bug database to the world with all the fixed and not-fixed bugs in Internet Explorer?
« Last Edit: 15 May 2005, 16:27 by piratePenguin »

piratePenguin

• VIP

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2005, 18:14 »
Quote from: skyman8081
I never suggested that.
You should read this tho. The following is stolen from that:
Quote from: Bertrand Serlet, senior vice president of software at Apple
"A lot of security problems derive from the core ... [With open-source code,] thousands of people look at the critical portions of source code and ... check [to make sure that] those portions are right. It's a major advantage to have open-source code."

muzzy

• Kudos: 409
    • http://muzzy.net/
« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2005, 21:38 »
I'd like to mention that the bug I'm touting about was independently found by my friend, who actually tried to do document.write() inside a stylesheet. I didn't just go looking through the bug database, looking for a crash bug. I only found afterwards that the bug had already been known for quite a while.

Also, while this demonstration doesn't show any code execution, HOW CAN YOU KNOW it isn't a remote code execution hole? Every crash bug potentially is, and it takes a while to analyze it to see if it is or isn't. This is damn well a critical hole.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2005, 21:56 »
I'd like to mention that the bug I'm touting about was independently found by my friend, who actually tried to do document.write() inside a stylesheet. I didn't just go looking through the bug database, looking for a crash bug. I only found afterwards that the bug had already been known for quite a while.

Also, while this demonstration doesn't show any code execution, HOW CAN YOU KNOW it isn't a remote code execution hole? Every crash bug potentially is, and it takes a while to analyze it to see if it is or isn't. This is damn well a critical hole.
I'm sure your friend is very pissed off that (s)he can't do document.write() inside a stylesheet without Firefox crashing. Why would (s)he want to do such a thing (I have no idea about this XML/etc. stuff)?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2005, 23:15 »
that's hardly the point though, is it? perhaps the aim of somebody who did such a thing is to crash firefox? in which case, it needs fixed.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2005, 23:37 »
Quote from: Calum
that's hardly the point though, is it? perhaps the aim of somebody who did such a thing is to crash firefox? in which case, it needs fixed.
If it happened to every second webpage, yes, it would be fixed in no time at all. But very, very few people are gonna be crashed because, obviously, it seems that document.write(), or whatever, inside stylesheets, isn't incredibly popular.

Yea, I agree that it should be fixed, but it shouldn't be a huge priority. And it's not gonna make anyone switch from Firefox back to IE, I would hope.