Author Topic: Meet the Head of Microsoft's Linux Lab  (Read 3837 times)

sime

• Kudos: 4
    • http://www.azuro.com
Meet the Head of Microsoft's Linux Lab
« on: 9 May 2005, 10:56 »
Hidden in deepest darkest recesses of Redmond there is "Linux Lab Man"!

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/zd/20050506/tc_zd/151451

Later

Sime

0X
==================================================
If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.

Sime@04
==================================================

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: Meet the Head of Microsoft's Linux Lab
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2005, 19:37 »
Being open soure Linux is at a disadvantage here because Microsoft and easily look at how it works. Linux programmers can't do the same to Windows apart from reverse engineering decompileing it which is also illegal. Microsoft are being sensible in this case, it makes sense, they need to know their opposition inside out and this isn't hard where Linux is concerned as it's open for all to see.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2005, 19:51 »
Reverse engineering for the purposes of interoperability is legal in the EU.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2005, 20:34 »
I've heard this before, is this a new thing?

The EU will fine Micrsoft anyway if they don't release more of their "trade secrets"

But who will say how much information they have to make public?

Micorsoft have made the Windows source code availible to a few goverenments so why can't they just make it availble to the EU court and then they can come to and agreement on which bits secrets they should give up.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

BobTheHob

• Kudos: 49
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2005, 22:30 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I've heard this before, is this a new thing?

The EU will fine Micrsoft anyway if they don't release more of their "trade secrets"

But who will say how much information they have to make public?

Micorsoft have made the Windows source code availible to a few goverenments so why can't they just make it availble to the EU court and then they can come to and agreement on which bits secrets they should give up.

I think its because microsft doesnt want the courts to see all the "HACK THE PLANET FROM THE INSIDE" comments thats all over microsoft source ;)
The meaning of my username "BobTheHob":
It is well known that "Bob" is a nickname for robert in modern times, a lesser known nickname for robert is that of "Hob". Hob is a nickname for robert from the "Middle English" dialect. This is the version of english spoken and written around the late middle ages. Thus my username can be percieved like "RobertTheRobert" which is redundant. As I always like to say "Simplicity in redundancy, and elegance in simplicity".

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2005, 23:07 »
Quote from: BobTheHob
I think its because microsft doesnt want the courts to see all the "HACK THE PLANET FROM THE INSIDE" comments thats all over microsoft source ;)

Code: [Select]
bash-2.05b$ egrep -r -e "HACK THE PLANET FROM THE INSIDE" /mnt/drived/src/win2k/private
bash-2.05b$

Apparently not. :p
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2005, 23:27 »
You got the source??

where can i get it google didnt find it :(
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2005, 23:51 »
Anywhere except the Web. ;)
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2005, 01:05 »
fileshare?

1mck

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #9 on: 8 June 2005, 13:31 »
Hey, do you guys think that Microsuck will rip off a Linux distro, and then sell it off as the newest Microsuck OS that is stable...blah, blah, blah? I could really see them doing that especially if they are going to get rid of NTFS, and go with something else...we can't see the code, so we wouldn't know if they were ripping off Linux...oh...maybe they're getting a license from SCO?lol Afterall, they are backing it!lol

1mck

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #10 on: 8 June 2005, 18:15 »
Quote from: 1mck
Hey, do you guys think that Microsuck will rip off a Linux distro, and then sell it off as the newest Microsuck OS that is stable...blah, blah, blah? I could really see them doing that especially if they are going to get rid of NTFS, and go with something else...we can't see the code, so we wouldn't know if they were ripping off Linux...oh...maybe they're getting a license from SCO?lol Afterall, they are backing it!lol

1mck
I can't see it happening. They'd more than likely be caught if they tried it, _alot_ of people would check it out.
If they wanted to come our way, they'd probably use something like FreeBSD (like Apple did).
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 8 June 2005, 20:28 »
So long as they release the scource code there'd be nothing wrong with it. If Microsoft made Linux it'd be similar to Linspire and be shit as a result.

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #12 on: 9 June 2005, 00:57 »
So long as they release the scource code there'd be nothing wrong with it. If Microsoft made Linux it'd be similar to Linspire and be shit as a result.

Agreed.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #13 on: 9 June 2005, 05:02 »
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad though? I would really like to see a Microsoft Linux distro, lol

Jenda

• Kudos: 326
« Reply #14 on: 9 June 2005, 21:47 »